Superfast meals? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a slimmed-down version of migas: Scramble some eggs, throw in some cheese and chopped tomatoes, and then add a handful or two of corn tortilla chips. Add salsa if desired. Superfast, and yummy. I'm looking for other superfast (and super cheap) ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 AM

My kids like something we call Ms. Denise's Tortillas after a freind who made up the recipe...

Take a large tortilla (we use wheat), spread with sour cream, heap with mixed greens (right from the bag), top with vegetarian chili, and sprinkle with shredded cheese...roll up and enjoy. The only effort is heating the chili...so easy and BOTH my girls like it!

Susan Mama to DD (almost 13) : DD (almost 16) & :

Susan hippie.gif Mama to DD (15) guitar.gif : DD (18) geek.gif & cat.gif
goorganic.jpg Rainbow.gifjoy.giftreehugger.gif winner.jpg coolshine.gifribbongrey.gif
Old 04-22-2008, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Waffles are probably our quickest meal. I use 50% chickpea flour when I make them to boost the protein content. While they are cooking in the waffle iron I take some frozen berries from the freezer and heat them on the stove with a little maple syrup and serve that over the waffles.

Quesadillas are another quick meal aorund here - just put some leftovers in a tortilla, add cheese for those in our house who eat it, spread the outside with a little olive oil and heat it up (either in the oven or in a cast itron skillet.) I can usually throw together a salad in the time it takes for the quesadillas to heat up.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Veggie burgers and a big salad.
Grilled cheese and some soup (I make big pots and we eat it for several days).
Quesadillas
Old 04-22-2008, 06:02 PM

Most of my quick meals are freezer meals (homemade, natch ) that I pull out and reheat. Or takeout :

Sometimes I make tuna melts or grilled cheeses or something similar. That's pretty fast.

This might be a little longer than "superfast," but it's still pretty easy, and very little hands-on time. The longest part is waiting for the water to boil. Take a package of dried or frozen tortelloni or ravioli and cook them, then toss with a package of baby spinach, a can of diced tomatoes, and top with parmesan cheese. It's a little soupy (although you could drain the tomatoes if you wanted), and the heat from the pasta wilts the spinach just enough. You can also add chickpeas or cooked chicken or roasted red peppers or artichoke hearts, etc.

Cool thread!
Old 04-23-2008, 02:09 AM

- stick some rice in the rice cooker. While it cooks - sautee in olive oil a diced onion, grated carrot, diced celery, bell pepper, corn, mushrooms, whatever's on hand. Add curry powder, satl, pepper. Stir into rice. Add leftover bits of meat or stir in an egg or two for protein.

finally midwife mama to my home-birthed nurslings: Noemi Sakura 16.10.07 & Seder Pádraig 13.7.09 and partner to their lovely daddy

User Tag List