How many times a week are potatoes in your evening meal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many times a week are potatoes in your evening meal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 10:55 AM

Once or less.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM

Maybe once or twice. More often in the winter when I tend to make big pots of vegetable soups/stews that contain a few potatoes (we might eat a big pot of soup for a few days).

ETA: We have a good friend who grows all sorts of fancy organic potatoes in his huge garden every year. He always gives us tons of them and when that time of year rolls around we eat them more often- little baby fingerlings roasted with olive oil, herbs, and garlic...yum!
Old 04-22-2008, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
None!! Two of my kids are intolerant of white potatoes. We use sweet potatoes at least once a week. But we do rice 2-3 times a week.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 04-22-2008, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
It varies. We eat them more often in the winter. One of my children loves potaotes like nothing else so I often make enough one night for her to have with whatever else we are eating a couple of other nights in the week.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:19 PM

maybe twice a week. we get some really yummy ones from our produce delivery, all different colors and types. my husband prefers rice, so we have that more often.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:20 PM

For most of the year, not at all. When I do buy them (three or four times times a year) we tend to eat the whole bag (or two if they were B1G1) within the space of a couple of weeks, so in that case it's probably 4 or more times per week.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 PM

We rarely get potatoes, and when I do, I forget I have them. I vote, for once in a great while.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Maybe twice a month. One week baked, couple weeks later fried up with veggies.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 04-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Alot! I can get them free or for really cheap and my kids love them so we eat them alot. I'd say at least 4 times a week.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:13 PM

I can't remember the last time I purchased a potato or potato product.

Soooo, never. There is no real reason that we avoid them, I just don't buy them. Left over from dieting my whole life, I guess.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:53 PM

Maybe twice a week.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:30 PM

Depends on the week and if my favorite tiny red's are cheap. Last week...none. This week...they are on the menu 3 times and I'll be adding them to my veggie meal one extra time.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM

I like them, but I also forget I have them. Also Sprogly doesn't go for them. So, not often.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

wow really? I thought they were in dinners everyday for most families, like the typical potatoes, meat, vegetables and gravy dinners! So what do you usually have instead of potatoes?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young_mama08 View Post
wow really? I thought they were in dinners everyday for most families, like the typical potatoes, meat, vegetables and gravy dinners! So what do you usually have instead of potatoes?
Rice. Pasta. Bread (pizza). Plus veggies, of course, and sometimes meat/eggs/beans/what have you.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
We don't do typical meat/potato/veg dinners! I do love potatoes though, and we probably have them an average of three dinners a week.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
We just don't. Typical dinners for us are things like:

-grilled salmon, sesame noodles, broccoli
-veggie burgers and a big salad
-burritos with salad and some rice
-chili with cornbread
-soup and a sandwich

We still eat potatoes though too. Sometimes we'll make some fries to go alon with the veggie burgers and salad, tomorrow night we're going to have leftover chili on top of baked potatoes, once a week or so I like to roast a chicken and will usually toss some carrots and potatoes into the pan...we still eat them, just not every night. Most of our meals just aren't of the meat/potatoes variety.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:19 PM

I go through spurts. Some weeks we'll have them everyday, some not at all. I love potatoes, though. :
Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
they have a really high glycemic index, but we do eat them some. I'd say once every week or two. if we get them in the CSA box then more often.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 04-22-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi View Post
Maybe once or twice. More often in the winter when I tend to make big pots of vegetable soups/stews that contain a few potatoes (we might eat a big pot of soup for a few days).

:

We do that.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:45 PM

3-4 times a week. I love potatoes.

My current favourite way to have them is either baked or boiled with garlic butter.

The skin is the best part. I eat everyone else's skins when they have a baked potato and leave the skin on their plate.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:31 PM

Maybe twice a week, but we're grain-free, so we don't eat rice or pasta or any of those either.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well, we don't usually have meat, potatoes, vegetable dishes, and when we do we rarely have gravy.

For ideas on what people are eating for dinner, take a look at the "What's for Dinner" thread in this forum.

I usually serve some kind of starch, either potatoes, pasta, rice, other grains, or bread.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
tonight we're having homemade pizza. last night it was mexican. night before that dh and the girls went out. i had homemade nachos.i think we had pasta the night before and friday the girls and i were out most of the afternoon/evening and dh rustled up some veggie dogs and turkey hot dogs for us upon our arrival. I can't remember any farther back than that. we've been doing a lot of salads on the side lately since greens are in season now.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi View Post
We just don't. Typical dinners for us are things like:

-grilled salmon, sesame noodles, broccoli
-veggie burgers and a big salad
-burritos with salad and some rice
-chili with cornbread
-soup and a sandwich
Isn't it funny how differently all of our minds work? These meals in my mind are still "meat/potato/veggie", just interpreted differently.

There's a main protein source (beans or meat or the like), then a starch (noodles, buns, tortillas, cornbread), and a veggie. That's how I always think of a typical meat/potato/veggie meal.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:36 PM

Almost never. I don't especially like 'em. I'll eat one if we're out somewhere and someone else makes it, but they are too much work for too little reward for me.

We usually have a main dish that incorporate a veggie and/or starch, so we're not big into "side dishes"

tomorrow we're having a peanut tofu thing with snap peas and rice, so no side dish required IMO. Tonight we had pasta with marina sauce and a garden salad.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
Isn't it funny how differently all of our minds work? These meals in my mind are still "meat/potato/veggie", just interpreted differently.

There's a main protein source (beans or meat or the like), then a starch (noodles, buns, tortillas, cornbread), and a veggie. That's how I always think of a typical meat/potato/veggie meal.
Yep. Maybe a little light on the "gravy" aspect, but it's the Dinner Triad...protein, starch, veg.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:45 PM

My answer is completely dependant on the type of potato and the season. We are totally into seasonal foods. New potatoes are the bomb, and red ones...heaven. Fingerlings, when we can get them...*how special* . And lets not even talk about yams & sweet potaotes.

In general, would say late fall for our own garden potatoes (and whatever can last through the winter) and late winter, early spring are for FL potatoes (when we visit family... it's a treat to get farm fresh ones there). :
Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Rarely... most of the white potato we eat is in the form of french fries. Since we can't do stuff like mashed potatoes or potatoes au gratin (dairy allergies and lactose intolerance), I don't use them much in my own cooking.

User Tag List