how to cook meat for baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2003, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never cooked chicken before, and I read that meat is a good thing to introduce to baby, pureed.
Do I boil or bake it? What should I cook it in and for how long? I am not a vegetarian, just an inexperienced cook as far as meat goes.
DD likes green beans, peas, sweet potatoes, and bananas (all homemade) but not avacados. She is almost 8 months. Do you think this is too early for meat?

I have a friend who gives her dd every table food, even cake and crushed tortilla chips. I am surprised at this, but keep it to myself. Her dd is 10 months.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2003, 10:17 AM
Banned

I'd just bake or broil it, remove the skin, and puree it.

We also just fed dd what we ate (though not tortilla chips at 8 months!!). It does not yet appear to have harmed her (she's now 28 months old). She started eating meat (occasionally) at about 8 months of age.

Do you not eat meat? If you don't, then why don't you just feed her pureed beans and lentils and the like?
Old 09-25-2003, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Do babies get gas from beans?
Old 09-25-2003, 02:22 PM

heck *I* get gas from beans...!

seriously, tho if you get dried and rinse a couple of times really well before and after soaking and before cooking, they shouldn't be too gas producing!
lol

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Old 09-25-2003, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually recommend starting concentrated protein food like meat and beans at 9 months but I don't think there's any harm in trying it earlier though they are a little harder for baby to digest. Just watch to see how your child handles them. Chicken for baby can be cooked just about any way - if you are boiling or roasting a chicken for yourself, just use some of that. You don't want to fry it or anything but your baby doesn't need a lot of oil yet. chicken would be very nice pureed with sweet potatoes and green beans or peas.

As for beans, I recommend starting with lentils or adjuki beans because they are easiest to digest. You can also cook them with a strip of kombu (sea vegetable) which makes them more digestible.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 09-25-2003, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

You know, I just didn't think she was ready yet.
It just bothers me that other moms "raise their eyebrows" at me because My daughter isn't eating 3 meals a day "like all the other babies."
I will try meat later. Thanks everyone!
Old 09-26-2003, 08:21 PM

My DD, around that age, enjoyed chicken or beef broth/stock (if you make it's even better - put lots of veggies in for flavor). As she got older I'd give her some shredded chicken/beef in the soup, with small cubed potatoes and carrots.

Been quietly hanging around here for over 10 years.  

Old 09-27-2003, 03:13 PM

I do think under 12 months is too early for meat. I waited until ds was 24 months before I offered him meat. He actually doesn't like meat. He does like fish though, especially salmon and sushi grilled eel rolls.
I guess I just think that babies kidneys are still so immature and it's best not to overload them w/ too much concentrated protien. I waited until ds was about 18 months before I offered him beans, eggs, or tofu.
I think if a baby is nursing, then as far as solids go the best choices are vegis and fruits. IMO a good diet for babies up to 12 months, in addition to breast milk, is avocados, yams, squash, steamed greens, green beans, prunes, pears, etc. Over 12 months~ same w/ added lentils, brown rice, carrots, peas, apples, apricots, almond milk, flax oil. Around 18 months, add in beans, eggs if you like, soy products, salmon, whole grain bread & pasta, oats, dried fruits, etc.
Old 09-27-2003, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

These are all very good suggestions, and they are all things I wanted to do with dd. I guess that is why I love coming to this forum: I don't feel like such a "freak" because I want to do what is right for my baby.

Sometimes it seems like I am the only one not rushing to get my baby more independent and on to the next phase of baby's life.

User Tag List