Lunchables Jr. Warning - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
some kids wont eat food you have touched or broken up from its original shape. lunchables are consumed mostly by picky kids, who have food issues for various reasons.
This is true, particularly for children with sensory issues.
#32 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't have a microwave. Do I win?

Seriously, I guess I'm wondering what the issue is. Are you insinuating there's something horrible about Lunchables they aren't disclosing (which would potentially be defamatory and against the UA) or is it just a chance to talk about how nutritionally bankrupt lunchables are? (Which is fine, I guess, but I don't see how the fire thing plays into it.)

And seriously--these are for babies? Personally, I can't imagine letting Oscar Meyer make my baby food, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#33 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

they are designed for toddlers/prechoolers. they have a few crackers, some cheese and tiny peices of meat.
#34 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwahine View Post
some kids wont eat food you have touched or broken up from its original shape. lunchables are consumed mostly by picky kids, who have food issues for various reasons.
Oh, so these kids think that the Lunchables "cheese" comes from the cow like that? Or the creamery? Or that it isn't touched by someone along the way?
#35 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna View Post
Oh, so these kids think that the Lunchables "cheese" comes from the cow like that? Or the creamery? Or that it isn't touched by someone along the way?
toddlers and preschoolers dont think that way..... they just dont want you touching their food. if its in a package, mommy/daddy/babysitter etc hasnt touched it, if its in something else, someones touched it and its no good anymore.
#36 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM

IDK it could be the microwave, my microwave started sparking and burning things in almost the exact same way, and I wasn't cooking a Lunchable(yucky, JMO). My microwave went all freaky last spring and would spark if pretty much ANYTHING went in it. At first I thought well something must have metal in it, but the things that I was cooking were things I had made. First time it was a scone I made, then a tortilla, another scone. I ended up calling Emerson(the manufacturer) and they sent me a new microwave. I'm just saying it may not necessarily be the Lunchable.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#37 of 50 Old 04-25-2008, 07:37 PM

IDK it could be the microwave, my microwave started sparking and burning things in almost the exact same way, and I wasn't cooking a Lunchable(yucky, JMO). My microwave went all freaky last spring and would spark if pretty much ANYTHING went in it. At first I thought well something must have metal in it, but the things that I was cooking were things I had made. First time it was a scone I made, then a tortilla, another scone. I ended up calling Emerson(the manufacturer) and they sent me a new microwave. I'm just saying it may not necessarily be the Lunchable.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#38 of 50 Old 04-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK, I get what they are. I'm really confused why someone would be microwaving it though.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#39 of 50 Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 PM

It's the plasma that sparks and burns.

My husband likes to show the children what makes lightening in the microwave and what doesn't.
#40 of 50 Old 04-29-2008, 01:10 AM

Carrots did that or us - I always assumed it was some sort of mineral in them reflecting ions or something...
#41 of 50 Old 04-29-2008, 02:00 AM

I apologize- I did not read that your DS has SPD, I was out of line with that comment. Is there any more natural alternative out there that would be acceptable?

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#42 of 50 Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashsMama View Post
Oh, I'm just particularly cynical and grumpy today. Sorry about the snark. But some part of me does think people would be more likely to stop eating them because of some sensational rumour, like the sparks are ground up rats, than the facts that they contain food with poor nutritional content, and are extremely overpackaged and putting additional stress on the environment and our resources.

I remember when Lunchables first came out. I was amazed that Kraft thought people would be so gullible to spend so much money on that little bit of food in that great big package. I mean, if you want to feed your kid lunch meat and crackers, why not buy lunch meat and crackers in big containers and save some money, and put less packaging into the landfill? I'm still shocked that Lunchables caught on, and other companies have copied them. I really don't get it.
ITA. It must be hard to feed a picky eater, or meet the nutritional needs of a child with sensory issues, but I am still really surprised that 'meals' like lunchables have caught so much market.

And I thought my microwave was broken too when I set fire to a small dish of carrots with butter and maple syrup. Now I feel less alone in my MW disaster experience.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#43 of 50 Old 04-29-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unconventional1 View Post
I would say that any toddler that doesn't want their own parent (or anyone else who is caring for them for that matter) to *touch* their food has some issues I would be addressing.

There isn't a whole lot of value in those pseudo-foods. I would definitely be working on getting something more worthwhile in that LO. These are some of the most critical years of growth and development and those are the building blocks that you are giving his/her body to work with???? Yikes. JMO though.
and how would you suggest to address them? force them to eat regardless? And if I kept working on getting "worthwhile" food into my son, he wouldnt eat at all. His building blocks are coming for a 100% liquid diet from his pediasure because he litterally wont eat, and when he does (around once or twice a week) it is only dry crunchy small foods that you cant touch and he must see you open in front of him.
#44 of 50 Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 AM

I am sorry that I made my previous comment- I should have looked at why you would be advocating those types of foods before saying anything.

Forgive my ignorance, I have no real knowledge of SPD. Is it something that you recognized early on, or as he got older? This seems like a relatively new disorder, so I am wondering if it is a product of our toxic environment.

I was wondering if you could reuse some of the old packaging (like with the lunchables you could use the glad press and seal or something and re-glue the box and put cut-by-you natural/organic lunch meats, cheeses, and crackers and such? I have biscuit cutters where the smallest one is about the same size as the lunchables that I remember. Could you add so high omega flax oil and other healthy (like cod liver oil) into the pediasures and reseal them?

I am curious about the causes of SPD (if any are known) and what possible treatments there are. Again, I am sorry for offending you, and I wish you and your son luck!

Momma to G 12/06 A 2/09, AND ANNOUNCING... Welcome big boy! A 5/10/10 9 lbs 10 oz! We and had our 3rd UP/UC!
#45 of 50 Old 05-04-2008, 05:05 PM

IMO it has nothing to do with the toxic environment or anything hes had etc. He had sympoms at birth and it go progressivly worse. He is diagnosed SPD right now, but will most likely get an autisim spectum diagnosis at our dev ped appt. There is no cure, only therapys to help him find coping mechanisims as he ages.

Its not really a new disorder, its just newly named and being treated, i have SPD myself. Before now we were just called quirky, picky trouble children.

I have no desire to try and screw around with oils or creating my own lunchable with organic ingredients, I dont even care about organics, because we simply cant afford them. And I know he wouldnt eat them anyway, he must see you open it in front of him or else its perceived as contaminated. And I am not about to add oils into his drinks and change the texture and taste so he starts to refuse the only one thing keeping him at a healthy weight.
#46 of 50 Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 PM

My daughters eat them every once in a while and for my 3 year old i always remove the meat and put it in a glass dish and heat it for a few seconds in the microwave and i have never had this happen! Though usually it's turkey, but i have done it with ham too!

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
#47 of 50 Old 05-04-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
I have only had one thing spark in the microwave - ever - and that was a cup that had a sticker on it that I didn't realize had metal on it! I have never seen anything spark - ever. Weird.
I've never had anything spark that wasn't a metal.

Mamma to 3! nurslings Emma (4) Daniel (3) and our new baby Beth! 10/10/09
#48 of 50 Old 05-04-2008, 07:51 PM

Eh, I guess if you have to use the microwave, a lunchable is probably something that could use everything zapped out of it.

I don't understand why people would pay good money for organic food and then put it in the microwave. : Why not save a few bucks and buy the cheap stuff in the first place?
#49 of 50 Old 05-05-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't know why, but I've even had fresh veggies (well washed) do this if I put them in without enough water.

-Angela
Me too.
#50 of 50 Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 AM

I don't buy lunchables mainly because they are horribly overpriced for my budget. My kids won't eat cheese or meat, so there is really no point..But, I didn't realize you were supposed to heat the meat up?
... maybe thats what I've been doing wrong..

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page