Where is a good place to buy flour in bulk? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am looking for a good place or places to get flour in bulk from. I make a 2 lb loaf a day or every other day. In the store 3.00 for 5lbs is the cheapest I can find for what I will work with. I need all purpose and whole wheat white that is not bleached and preferably not enriched.

Am I asking too much?

Thanks in advance!

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#2 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 04:32 PM

I was just coming on to ask this. Hopefully, we can get some answers.
#3 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 05:27 PM

I get my flour in bulk at Whole Foods. I don't know if that's the absolute cheapest option, but it is cheaper than the five pound bags.
#4 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 05:32 PM

I buy my King Arthur's All-Purpose flour (never bleached never bromated!!) for $12 for 25 lbs. at Costco. My rye, pumpernickel, and whole wheat I either get from King Arthur online or Bob's Red Mill on line.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 06:03 PM

:

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#6 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 07:10 PM

i buy from a food buying club called united food buying clubs for relatively cheap.
#7 of 11 Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

I like King Arthur and that price isn't bad, sucky that there isn't a costco near me.

Yeah I know several people who buy from United but I'm not a member of any co-ops that order from their because their (co-ops) membership fee etc are way too much.

Hmm... brainstorming still...

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#8 of 11 Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Once again, my Costco doesn't carry the good stuff! They only have 25 lb. bleached and enriched flour. My WF also doesn't have big bulk bins....grrr...
#9 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 07:54 PM

I live in the Ohio Valley and found the best place to get flour in bulk is Thompson & Sons Bakery Supplies in Dillonvale, Ohio. I've been driving by it all the time to go to the high school for one thing or the other for my three teenagers (doctors appointments and such) and wondered if they sell to the public, which they do. I went over there today and got a price list and a bag of A.P. flour for $17.50 (50#). They also carry organic flour, whole wheat, the works and any other kind of baking products you might need along wth cheese and some deli meats at unheard of prices (CHEAP!!) per pound per tube. Still worth the drive. They have trucks that deliver, but not sure how that works and the minimum order required for that and charges associated. They have a small website (very hard to find), but it doesn't list prices. You'd probably have to have them send you one or pick up one.
Thompson & Sons Bakery Supplies
P.O. Box 606
52 Second St.
Dillonvale, OH 43917
1-800-648-7459
(740) 769-2333
FAX(740) 769 -2804

Let me say I am very pleased with the flour I got and found two five gallon buckets with seal tight lids at the hardware that store it all quite nicely.
#10 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Bob's Red Mill sells bulk bags.

#11 of 11 Old 05-31-2013, 08:40 PM

All of the grocery stores and co-ops near us will order just about anything, just ask at the customer service desk.  Especially if it is something that they already carry (i.e. bulk flour), they can get a 25/50 lb. bag and set it aside for you (instead of filling their bins with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page