It's JUNE! What's For Dinner? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 171 Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Change in ours, I wanted to have potato salad with the hamburgers so we'll have that tomorrow.

My 6 year old wanted a baked potato, 2 year old got fish and I threw together some pasta and leftover veggies.
#62 of 171 Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Today was DH's company-wide summer party. It was at an amusement/water park. It was so hot(95*)! I am tired out from the sun, so we are having boxed mac and cheese mixed with tuna (for me)-- plain for dc and dh.

Tomorrow, I have evening clinical, so dh will be on his own. I think he is planning to make dc tuna salad wraps and fruit.

Dawn
#63 of 171 Old 06-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Tonight was glazed salmon, broccoli and cauliflower, and quinoa.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#64 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 01:43 AM

Tonight was ribs, catfish nuggets, cornbread and mixed veggies.
#65 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 04:51 PM

Grilled salmon tonight! With creamy cucumber salad, quinoa pilaf, and strawberries.
#66 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettrose View Post
i'd love your spiced nuts recipe.
Okay - it's not very precise and you can use other seasonings/amounts if you wish, adjusting it for your tastes. This is based off a martha stewart recipe.

Heat 2-3 T oil in a pan and add enough walnuts to cover the bottom of the pan in a low pile. I usually use a 10 inch pan and add 2-3 cups of walnuts. Add up to 1/4 cup sugar to the nuts and stir over med hi heat til the sugar caramelizes and the nuts are browning and toasty smelling. (I often burn the nuts at this point, so try not to step away from the stove.) Remove from heat and add about 1 t kosher salt, 1 - 2 T ground cumin, and 1/4 t red pepper flakes, and then sprinkle with another couple of tablespoons of sugar. Stir it all up and let cool.

We eat these straight up or on salads. I eyeball the spices now and they come out a bit differently every time. When I use them on salads, I just use EVOO and balsamic vinegar, and the seasoning from the nuts adds enough extra flavor.

I don't like to do the nuts in the oven which is what a lot of recipes call for - doing on the stove top is fast and easier, and I don't have to heat up the oven on a hot summer day.

Hope ya like them!
#67 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Last night was buffalo burgers with bacon, cheddar and chipotle mayo. Alexia sweet potato fries, corn on the cob, our usual salad.
Watermelon for dessert.

Tonight I think it will be lamb chops, broccolini, roasted yukon potatoes (large dice, tossed with EVOO, S&P and rosemary), salad. Dessert might just be dark chocolate unless I get to the store today for more strawberries.

I have been having the hardest time lately with lunches. We are in a mac-n-cheese rut as that's all the kids seem to want lately. Maybe that's why they've been eating pretty well at dinner time - more variety and something new.
#68 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 06:58 PM

We are making carnitas tacos, spanish rice, grilled peaches and I made a carrot cake.
#69 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 10:01 PM

We're having buffalo burgers too And sweet potato fries (how eerie!). I am making avocado and mushroom toppings. DD is having a Hebrew National and orzo. Watermelon for dessert!
#70 of 171 Old 06-07-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmansions View Post
Okay - it's not very precise and you can use other seasonings/amounts if you wish, adjusting it for your tastes. This is based off a martha stewart recipe.

Heat 2-3 T oil in a pan and add enough walnuts to cover the bottom of the pan in a low pile. I usually use a 10 inch pan and add 2-3 cups of walnuts. Add up to 1/4 cup sugar to the nuts and stir over med hi heat til the sugar caramelizes and the nuts are browning and toasty smelling. (I often burn the nuts at this point, so try not to step away from the stove.) Remove from heat and add about 1 t kosher salt, 1 - 2 T ground cumin, and 1/4 t red pepper flakes, and then sprinkle with another couple of tablespoons of sugar. Stir it all up and let cool.

We eat these straight up or on salads. I eyeball the spices now and they come out a bit differently every time. When I use them on salads, I just use EVOO and balsamic vinegar, and the seasoning from the nuts adds enough extra flavor.

I don't like to do the nuts in the oven which is what a lot of recipes call for - doing on the stove top is fast and easier, and I don't have to heat up the oven on a hot summer day.

Hope ya like them!
: i'll be trying them very soon.
#71 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
We're having buffalo burgers too And sweet potato fries (how eerie!). I am making avocado and mushroom toppings. DD is having a Hebrew National and orzo. Watermelon for dessert!

Funny! It'll be interesting to see if we overlap again!

I'll have to try avocado on our buffalo burgers next time we make them this way - I'll bet they'd be good. I also do the same cheese/bacon/chipotle mayo on turkey burgers sometimes, but my turkey burgers always seem to fall apart so I'm doing more buffalo lately.
#72 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 11:25 AM

I plan to make sirloin tips with garlic butter, caeser salad, mashed potatoes, sauteed lemon/garlic green beans, and french bread.

Dawn
#73 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 12:49 PM

Last night we had spinach and cheese calzones. They ended up being really big and filling. From the original moosewood cookbook. overall verdict- they were well liked and one big one is left for DH to take to work.

Mama to three hilarious kiddos- Dylan 10, Edison 7, Violet 3. Partner to my sweet man since 2/2/02- mostly just doing.

#74 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 01:54 PM

Last night I made an asian-style noodle bowl with chicken, bok choy and tatsoi, carrot, ginger, garlic, and some noodles from the Asian market that I had to buy because they were "Goldensmell" brand. :

Tonight we're grilling - Hebrew National hot dogs, chicken breasts, asparagus and potatoes. I should think about making something for dessert b/c I am craving some chocolate, but it's too hot to bake...hmmm...
#75 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Even though it is hotter than hades here, I wanted comfort food. I'm making chicken & stuffing in the crockpot now, and tonight will whip up some mashed potatoes and cranberry green beans. Mmmmm I can't wait!

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#76 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 05:04 PM

salmon cakes, green beans and roasted sweet potatoes.
#77 of 171 Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Good god it's so hot, and MUGGY!! Phew!

Dinner tonight? Fruit salad with and some left over veggies and rice (gonna eat that cold!).

...and to tell the truth, I'm not even hungry--I'm only eating because I know I won't get breakfast till 11ish tomorrow am.

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#78 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 02:29 AM

Tonight was grilled halibut pre-marinated a bit in soy sauce, sesame oil and sambal; the broccolini we forgot to make the other night; trader joe's asparagus risotto. The kids ate fish sticks instead of halibut. For dessert, mixed berries over vanilla ice cream and a raspberry/white chocolate cookie.

Not sure what I'll make tomorrow but I need to go get milk, so maybe I'll pick up a chicken. It's not hot here at all (60-ish and rainy tomorrow) so a chicken would be good. I usually roast it with carrots and potatoes in the same pan.
#79 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 02:35 AM

Steak with Spanish rice and broccoli tonight, with apple butter cinnamon rolls for dessert.

Not hot here either, and hoping for some tomorrow!
#80 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Last night we had ham (from one of the pigs I raised), mashed potatoes and green beans. It was so good.

Tonight, I'm not sure, we're really busy so I might just pick something up.
#81 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Sat we had leftover ribs, eggs and buttermilk pancakes (breakfast for dinner with ribs iso bacon).

Sun we went out for a late lunch so dinner was just some fruit (mostly strawberries)
#82 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Tonight will likely be white corn taco shells filled with refried black beans, cheddar and monterey jack cheese crumbles and some lettuce and sour cream, corn, and some canned pears.

"If we are peaceful, if we are happy, we can smile and blossom like a flower, and everyone in our family, our entire society, will benefit from our peace." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh
#83 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 03:29 PM

I had planned on vicchysoise -- although my mom just called to say she's coming to spend the night, and she might want something else (in which case we might just order pizza or subs -- too hot and humid to cook much!).
#84 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Last night we had burgers and brats with loaded baked potato salad, honey glazed carrots, and chocolate cream puff dessert.

Tonight we're having wife&mommy's cashew chicken stir fry. Can't wait to try it!
#85 of 171 Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM

We are having chicken-veggie stir fry, basmati rice and sauteed greens.

Dawn
#86 of 171 Old 06-10-2008, 10:54 AM

last night was a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store cut up over mesclun from my CSA & potato salad.

tonight will be ICE COLD AIR. Bloody heat :
#87 of 171 Old 06-10-2008, 11:20 AM

I'm with veronica (mama, where in NY is this damned heat wave getting YOU?).

I can't even imagine eating anything other than some cold, light fruit salad and maybe a slurpee from 7-11.

Phew!

Kelly, mama (12yoDS), doula, RN, and writer.
There's no where you can be that isn't where you were meant to be, its easy
#88 of 171 Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM

Tonight will be leftovers from the ham I cooked Sunday. We also have hot dogs, potato salad, beans, egg salad and who knows what else.
#89 of 171 Old 06-10-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonsterMommy View Post
I'm with veronica (mama, where in NY is this damned heat wave getting YOU?).

I can't even imagine eating anything other than some cold, light fruit salad and maybe a slurpee from 7-11.

Phew!
I'm in Ulster county... and all the dangity dang public pools & lakes are only open on the weekends right now. WAAAHHHHH
#90 of 171 Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 PM

I'm changing up the meal plan for today to something quick and easy that won't heat up the apartment too much.

Italian beef and bowties skillet
Romaine salad with tomatoes, cucumber and whatever is about to go
Sauteed brussel sprouts for dh and me, sweet peas for DC

Dawn

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page