'Green bags' from the dollar store... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
scary or good deal?

Today I got 15 "forever green bags" from the dollar store for $5, and I am wondering if they are going to be featured in a massive recall for causing scary health problems 6 months from now. They are, like everything else in the dollar store, MIC. We are trying to avoid MIC kitchen stuff or food that is a product of China because of doubts about quality. Has anybody got experience with these kind of bags? The package says "anti-microbial with integration of nanotechnology" and I am hoping they haven't thrown extra weird ingredients into the process. From what I understand they are supposed to contain some mineral that absorbs ethylene gas.

Anybody use these?

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#2 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 AM

What dollar store did you buy these at?

Kathleen SAHM to Jade 10/14/03, Aiden 2/2/06, and Hunter 5/14/09 Wife to Rob 3/28/03
I'm new to: treehugger.gif sewmachine.gif  chicken3.gif
#3 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 11:55 AM

I would just try hard to buy what we can eat in a certain amount of time because the idea of putting my kidi's snacks in them scares the crap out of me. We've worked hard to go plastic free around here and that just seems like a leeching incubator.
#4 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekat View Post
What dollar store did you buy these at?
(had to check the receipt) dollar general.

i know, it is the opposite direction from trying to avoid plastics, but we are a small family and i am tired of throwing away expensive produce because i am too disorganized to use it quickly enough and with the price of gas, i cannot get to the market 20 mi RT more than once a week.

Jenny, earth.gif flowersforyou.gif   treehugger.gif gd.gif coolshine.giffamilybed2.gifdust.gif
#5 of 5 Old 06-07-2008, 01:32 PM

We bought green bags at Target, and they do work to keep produce nicer longer. For instance, we bought strawberries for CHEAP last week, took them out of the clamshell and put them in the bag, and they are still like new today. We don't wash them before putting them in the bag. I figure it can't be worse than the bags/clamshells most produce comes in, these are just more porous to help the gas produce naturally makes escape the bag. Or something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page