Severely anemic - what can I eat rich in Iron - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2008, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my baby girl on June 3rd. I lost a lot of blood during the birth which required a blood transfusion. I am 6days post partum and having a really hard time with the recovery. I think a lot of it is the weakness and dizziness that comes with the blood loss.

What are some foods and snacks that would help me get more iron in my diet.
They have me takin Chromagen Forte - which for what I read is a good source of iron. I wanted to take floradix but not sure which would be best.
Anyway... I would love ideas. I am so out of it I am at a loss for what I could eat that could help me heal faster.

I am also taking emergenC to get the healing going and give me some extra energy .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd probably go with ridiculous amounts of beef (it's not forever, but for a while). We like meatballs, and that adds a lot of flavor variations (between seasonings in the meatballs and then dipping sauces). Beef liver if you can take the flavor, or grind it up and hide it in the meatballs.

I hope you start feeling better soon, and enjoy your baby!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:38 PM

I was put into a similar position after my son's birth. I took Floradix and something else that I can't remember the name of. My midwife brought that stuff over. Can your dh go to Wild Oat's or a similar store and ask someone who works there what would be best for severe anemia?

I also ate a lot of steak, beef, dark greens.

I wasn't back on my feet for about 4 months, but I had some complications other than the blood loss. Hopefully you'll be back up and at 'um soon!

Congrats on the new baby!

Mama of three.

Old 06-09-2008, 04:55 PM

How about liver? Plenty of iron and vitamin A to help absorb it. If you are not keen on it as a dish on its own you could make a mild pate (I add eggs, cooked mushrooms and onions to mine).
Black pudding? Bound to be bags of iron in there.

Hope you feel better soon

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Old 06-09-2008, 05:03 PM

Yeah liver.

You can grind it up and put into meatloaf too.

You need heme iron, the non-heme doesn't work well for severe anemia.

Feel better soon! :And congratulations on your new arrival!
Old 06-09-2008, 11:16 PM

Sorry to hear that (but congrats on your new babe)!

I've BTDT w/hemorrhages twice - once after my DD's birth, and once from a ovarian cyst.

All the suggestions are good - beef, dark greens, beans, beets are all good. Also, to the extent that you can, and it's safe, you're going to need to get moving and get exercise. Your diet & supplements will provide the needed iron, but then your body actually has to have an increased demand for oxygen to ramp up production of the hemoglobin. I remember shuffling around the block after my ovarian cyst (I had 2 units transfused, but was still seriously anemic). It took forever, but it helps.

I'm guessing that the dizziness may also be related to a bit of low blood pressure. Especially if you lost a lot of blood, your blood volume is low, which can make your pressure a bit low. Making sure you're eating plenty of salt will help with that. Try cheeseburgers with ketchup (ketchup is salty).

Hope you feel better soon.

User Tag List