I need apple recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2003, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every year my dad gets a box of apples from friends up north, well they are here, beautiful red ones, I need recipes, normally I will make applesauce, backed apples, apple pies, carmel apples, I cut up a apple and put it in my tunafish sandwhiches, I think I am running out of ideas....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2003, 06:46 PM

My mom always froze bags of apples to make pies or apple crisp later in the year. The method she taught me is to get a big bowl of salt water (to prevent browning while cutting, I think), peel and cut up the apples into the salt water, drain when done, and bag them in convenient amounts for your recipes.

I am vegetarian now, but as a child we would have pork chops with baked apples or apple pieces (and raisins and celery) in stuffing with poultry.

I know there are tons of other yummy things to use apples for but I am drawing a blank now. When I have something to use up, I like to go to www.allrecipes.com and search by ingredient.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:20 PM

Apple muffins, apple pancakes...just grate the apples and add to the batter, along with a bit of lemon juice or rind, or a little cinnamon.

You could also add apples to bread pudding.

My son likes bread with grated apples and mozerella, open face, toasted until the cheese melts. Yum.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas, the apple pancakes sound yummy, I think I may try that tomorrow morning and surprise the family with it
Old 10-13-2003, 09:54 AM
PM
Banned

One thing that I make that's always a big hit is Tarte Double Pomme (Double Apple Pie). I use a slightly sweetened "pate sablee," a butter pie crust. Bake the crust, then spread homemade applesauce, and top with thinly sliced apples. Melt about a 1/4 c. butter and drizzle over top, then slide under the broiler until the apples are browned.

Another is my Tarte Tatin. Now, my dad said that in the US this pie is always burned. Whatever. In my house (and in France) it has caramel, as light or as dark as one wants it. What you do is make a caramel over the stovetop in the cake pan (butter and sugar), then arrange apples all pretty-like, and top with a pie crust (again the above-mentioned sweetened pate sablee), and bake. When the crust is done, remove it from the oven and turn over into a larger cake pan. It comes out as a gooey, yummy apple pie that looks like a pretty upside-down cake! If you want the recipe, just PM me!
Old 10-13-2003, 12:13 PM

ParisMaman,

I know that you weren't speaking to me, but could you give me the recipe as well, please?

Sorry to butt in, but the thought of all that caramel-y apple-y-ness has me ravenous!

Thanks,
alsoSarah

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
Old 10-13-2003, 12:41 PM
PM
Banned

All right, all right! I'll write it out here! Hi Sarah!

Pate Sablee
2 c. flour (I have used whole wheat)
1/2 c. butter, chilled
pinch of salt
1/3 c. sugar*
1 egg yolk
cold water

I won't list the instructions. I hope you all know how to make a pie crust.

Tarte Tatin
8-10 apples
1/2 c. butter
1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar, depending on how sweet you like things
1 pate brisee
cinnamon*

The best cake pan to use is the metal one (not the nonstick type). You know, a regular sized cake pan for a layer cake, I don't know, I guess it's 9"?

So, put the butter & sugar in the pan and place it on the stove. I have always had a gas stove, so I'm not sure about an electric stove. Use a wooden spoon. Stir the butter & sugar until it forms a caramel. You can choose how light or dark you want it. But don't burn it; it will make your cake bitter. Peel and core the apples and cut them into quarters. Arrange the quarters tightly on the caramel in a spiral type thing. Cut remaining apples into small pieces and place on top of spiraled apples. Roll out the pie dough and place on top of apples. You can do it just like a regular pie. Bake at 350° for I don't know how long. The crust will be browned and the caramel will be bubbling up the sides. Remove from oven and wait two or three minutes. Take a plate larger than the cake pan (or a larger cake pan), hold it TIGHTLY over the cake pan and turn over. The first time I did it scalding caramel ran out all over my hands and arms! But don't get scared and wait too long because if it cools it will be as hard as a rock and won't come out of the pan. Just hold that plate on really tight.

Voila!
Old 10-13-2003, 01:16 PM

MMMmmmmmm! That sounds like bliss on a plate!

(Now I'm even more unhappy that we just bought two baskets of apples at our local Farmer's Market... then LEFT them there!)

Thanks for the recipe!

I just happen to like apples, and I am not afraid of snakes. ~Ani d.
These dolls and toys confuse me so; Confound it all, I love it, though!~J. Skellington
Old 10-13-2003, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds wonderful............. thank you

User Tag List