how to make LOTS of chicken/beef broth without buying lots of chicken/beef? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I LOVE chicken broth. Never made a beef broth actually, not sute why. But I love both. I make chicken soup at least once a week, but I want to be able to enjoy just the broth every day. I am on GF CF diet and I would love to have it for breakfast every day. How do I do it without constantly buying tons of chicken and making tons of soup? I only want the broth.
Do I buy the whole chicken and rost it and then use the bones for soup? Then what? I wanna make it every 3rd day at least so I have plenty on hand all the time.
I've read here to buy chicken breast with bone in and debone it and freeze the bones for broth. But I am guessing I will need way more than that.

Any advice is welcome.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're GFCF too. We buy bones at various places. Whole Foods sells chicken backs and necks. Most grocery stores don't cut up chicken on-site because of licensing/oversight issues, but WF does. They keep them in the freezer section near the meat department.

For beef, getting bones is easier (but it's not nearly as tasty--works for cooking grains in, or making soup that has other spicing, but I wouldn't make something that I was really depending on the broth taste for using beef). There are lots of places to get beef bones--in the phone book, look up slaughter houses, or meat processing, or places that do deer processing (if you're in an area with seasonal hunting). Sometimes they're called "dog bones" depending on the state--even my grassfed, pastured 1/4 steer had "dog bones" included (TX) because of some labelling laws. Ask to be sure they're handled decently (kept cold, like that) but you should be able to find somewhere to buy them. Before our move, I had found a local Asian foods market that always had beef bones that cost less than our local grocery store and had more meat on them, I think most people used them for pho.

HTH.
#3 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! We don't live near WF any more, so that is out of question. But I never thought about using chicken necks or perhaps wings would be cheaper than buying whole chicken every time.
I'll look into it more.

Thanks again.

#4 of 8 Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Do I buy the whole chicken and rost it and then use the bones for soup?
Yes. We do this. We eat the meat from the roast chicken, and we all save our bones and they go into a freezer container. Or I just use them that day (or the next day) for broth without freezing first.

I also buy necks/backs. They are usually the cheapest pieces of meat, and some of the best for chicken broth. If I'm not doing organic (I do as much as possible but it's $$ to do it 100% of the time), I'll just go to my local grocery store and buy the packaged backs/necks, which are sometimes like $.50 a pound, so I can buy a LOT for cheapo.

Mom to dd (8), ds (6), and dd (1)

#5 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 07:26 AM

Probably not as cheap as necks/backs but I've purchased bags of leg quarters when I want to do stock and there are often back pieces attached. Cook's Illustrated has a great stock recipe for chicken and beef and a lot of insight into why the beef is more difficult to get a good, strong beef-y flavor with.

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
#6 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 08:20 AM

I've made chicken stock out of all kinds of chicken parts, but my favorite, though probably not the cheapest, is to buy a whole chicken, roast it and have it for dinner, pick the carcass for leftovers, then toss the all the bones and stuff in a giant pot w/ veggies and simmer for a few hours. That yields me around 18-20c. of broth at a time. A lot of broth, + 2 meals, so it ends up being pretty cheap in the long run...

Not momma yet, but momma to a ton of furry, scaly, slimy and feathery critters. whale.gifribbongreen.gif
#7 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 11:32 AM

You'd probably have to call around to your local butchers, but I know I can buy duck carcasses, wings and necks for really cheap from the local farm. I can also buy beef "soup bones" from one of the local butchers. But I also buy several cuts of beef on the bone and just freeze the bones as we eat them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 8 Old 06-26-2008, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your help. I will go to co-op today and ask them if they have any chicken or duck bones. Duck broth....yummy!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page