Is is ok for 1-yr-old to eat eggs everyday? UPDATE msg #26 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My gut tells me it's not good for her. But I eat eggs and toast nearly every day, and it's so easy for me to feed her the same thing I'm eating. I've tried to change things up a bit with french toast and pancakes, but those contain eggs too.

So, I guess I have two questions here: 1) Is it healthy to eat eggs everyday (and if not, why?), and 2) Can you suggest some alternative breakfast foods?

BTW, we only eat organic eggs, and dd only eats about half an egg at most in one sitting. She hasn't shown any signs of allergy/sensitivity to eggs or any other foods.

Thanks!
#2 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 12:19 PM

why not? kids that age NEED cholesterol and that *is* the only objectionable thing in eggs right? otherwise they've got b-12, protein, etc that are great.
#3 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 12:28 PM

I think it would be very healthy for her. I wish my DS would eat more eggs!
#4 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Very ok. My 2 year old loves eggs and eats them whenever I do. Eggs are very good for you.
#5 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

oooh, I love the responses so far! I actually thought you all would shame me into getting more creative with breakfast. I'm happy to keep up the eggs and toast routine if there's no reason to change. Are you sure there's no "too much of a good thing" to worry about?
#6 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 PM

I think if you were feeding her a dozen eggs a day, it'd be bad, but one or a half? I think that's just fine.
#7 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM

My kids eat eggs everyday, including the 1 year old. They are a great source of nutrition and I can't think of any reason why not. My exMIL for some reason thinks that if you eat too many eggs you will become 'egg-bound' (I think she means constipated but honestly - who knows! ) but that has never happened here.

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#8 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow2911 View Post
My kids eat eggs everyday, including the 1 year old. They are a great source of nutrition and I can't think of any reason why not. My exMIL for some reason thinks that if you eat too many eggs you will become 'egg-bound' (I think she means constipated but honestly - who knows! ) but that has never happened here.
I thought egg-bound was when a chicken couldn't push her own egg out.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#9 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM

Thats how I've always heard it before. Perhaps she just got really confused but she is convinced and I can't dissuade her! Perhaps she is swallowing the eggs whole or something.... : :

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

#10 of 28 Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 PM

Eggs are very healthful. HOWEVER... I'd be concerned about allergies. I only feed my family eggs three times a week because we are prone to allergies. When my son was 1, I only gave him eggs 1-2 times a week for the same reason.
Also, it's good to know that egg whites are more sensitizing than egg yolks. Besides, it's the yolk that has the bulk of the nutritional value, anyway. So you could approach it that way too...
#11 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post
I thought egg-bound was when a chicken couldn't push her own egg out.
No kidding! I have a bearded dragon and she was at some point egg bound... Birds and reptiles, yes, people? That would be weird if nothing else!

I wonder what the heck your mil was thinking of?
#12 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 08:08 AM

My 1 year old eats eggs every morning for breakfast. I mix up the other things...sometimes its fruit and yougurt, sometimes oatmeal, sometimes a multigrain cracker...but the eggs, i eat them and he loves them, so we share. I mix up the eggs as well. Sometimes fried, sometimes a cheese omlette, sometimes scrambled with veggies...

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#13 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 12:34 PM

I give my 16 month old poached eggs often. I just watched him the first time to see if he was going to be allergic and now he's fine.

Kristofsmom- I don't understand why you only feed 1-2 times a week. If you babe was going to have a reaction to the eggs, it would have already happened, right?

"Breastfeeding is a robust, biologically stable activity so central to our evolutionary identity that it names the class of animals to which we belong" (Breastfeeding Atlas, Third Edition)
#14 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Eggs are like a one-stop-shop for nutrition, really. The only "objectionable" thing in them is cholesterol, and little children don't need their cholesterol restricted-- quite the contrary. (Many people would even say that adults don't need it restricted, either, but that's another story.) No, I think eggs are GREAT for a toddler. My DD2 is crazy about hardboiled eggs.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#15 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 04:12 PM

I fed my son eggs every day and he became iron deficient. I did some research and found out that eggs (yolk and white) contain things that bind/block iron absorption. And if you get enough in diet they will bind the iron not only in that meal but in the whole day.

So from my perspective my only concerns would be allergies and impact on iron absorption.

I know that perspective on eggs isn't popular among traditional foods folks especially (which I do follow and why I was doing so much egg!). So:

http://www.cdfin.iastate.edu/update/...6/project5.htm
Quote:
Egg yolk protein is well known to decrease the absorption of iron because of the strong binding of iron to the phosvitin molecules, making iron unavailable for absorption (Juneja and Kim, 1997; Callender, 1970). It is estimated that a 20% egg yolk protein in the diet, which is equivalent to consuming 3 eggs per day, would contain enough phosvitin to bind all iron in the whole diet. Therefore, iron deficiency may be a problem in populations who consume large quantity of egg. The effect of yolk protein on the bioavailability of other essential multivalent ions, such as calcium, magnesium, and zinc is largely unknown.
Realize that the three eggs per day is for an adults 20% of diet....not a child size. And I wasn't surprised my son developed low iron as he had at least one for one meal almost every day but I was upset.

You can find a lot on google on the effect of egg white on iron absorption (well known inhibitor) so I won't link that.

I just don't think this is well known.

Alternative meals...around here we have "smoothies" for breakfast a lot. We don't do dairy but if you did it would be even easier--like yogurt and fruit. Cooked grains could be breakfast. Healthy muffins. Fruit and avocado. Sourdough toast with sausage. Cooked grain cereals (soaked too...he's young so he can form a good taste for healthy foods). Breakfast also doesn't have to be breakfast foods. You can do leftovers for breakfast even!

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#16 of 28 Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I fed my son eggs every day and he became iron deficient. I did some research and found out that eggs (yolk and white) contain things that bind/block iron absorption. And if you get enough in diet they will bind the iron not only in that meal but in the whole day.
This sucks! And I was curious about my recent bloodwork in which my ferritin was a bit low--not out of range, but my doctor commented and thought I should supplement (which, of course, I ended up doing with a pill in the morning, when I eat eggs for breakfast every day). Because I didn't think I'd _ever_ had iron problems before, so this was a bit out of the blue.

What a bummer, now I need to think about the kids. Because we eat eggs daily, they are a staple.

Thanks for sharing sbgrace!!!
#17 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 12:12 AM

i am sure it is fine, mine does almost every day. she loves them and they are very good for you.
as usual everything in moderation but i dont see why not.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#18 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
My daughter has low iron and her pediatrician encourages her to eat eggs. She's 16-months-old.
#19 of 28 Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethNC View Post
My daughter has low iron and her pediatrician encourages her to eat eggs. She's 16-months-old.
Her pediatrician is misinformed. This can only make the situation worse. Please consider the link/research studies I posted above. Also google egg white and iron. Lots of research on that. It blocks it too; even worse possibly and that is well known. Most doctors would at least know that egg white would make egg a poor source. Most probably wouldn't know that eating yolk only is also not good. Anyway, no way is your pediatrician giving good advice.

If you'd like a food source red meat is the best if you aren't vegetarian. If you are look into things like black strap molasses. There are other "iron rich" foods that actually block iron too--dark fruits like raisins and red grapes and some greens like spinach that are high oxalate and unsoaked nuts/seeds. So if your daughter has low iron you do want to look into that closely.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#20 of 28 Old 06-30-2008, 11:56 AM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Just FYI, vitamin C increases iron absorption.

And peas are a good source of plant-based iron, if you're vegetarian.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#21 of 28 Old 06-30-2008, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I spoke to her doctor. She's fine with having one egg a few times a week. She said that the egg might block iron absorption at that meal but wouldn't have any effect on early or later meals.

I don't like eggs so I don't make them very often, anyway.
#22 of 28 Old 06-30-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbgrace View Post
Wow, that sucks. Dd is slightly anemic (at least, she was two months ago), and we've been trying to remedy it with diet rather than giving her iron supplements. I thought eggs were a good iron source, but guess I was wrong! We're getting her tested again this week so we'll see if the eggs made things worse. Thanks for sharing this info, sbgrace.

I also wonder if all the eggs I've been eating are making me iron deficient as well. Maybe my fatigue isn't entirely due to dd's frequent night waking. Guess I should get myself tested as well.
#23 of 28 Old 06-30-2008, 02:49 PM

I had no idea about eggs and iron. I know someone people who has iron/thyroid issues, and she's been avoiding certain food that are known to block iodine absorption--I don't think she knows about eggs.

Here's a list of other goitrogenic foos.
#24 of 28 Old 06-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin'smom View Post
Kristofsmom- I don't understand why you only feed 1-2 times a week. If you babe was going to have a reaction to the eggs, it would have already happened, right?
No, not necessarily. You can develop allergies - particularly if you are prone to them and especially if you consume the certain food in question every day.
#25 of 28 Old 07-01-2008, 04:01 AM

I remember reading from mercola.com that eating eggs everyday can cause allergy to eggs. I ignored it and ate them everyday. But I seemed to have developed allergy. I don't trust a lot of what Dr. mercola says though. He is promoting particular products on his website, by which he makes money.
#26 of 28 Old 07-02-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well, turns out the answer to my original question is NO - it is NOT ok for a 1-yr-old to eat eggs every day. I just got the results from dd's blood work - she is MORE iron deficient and anemic than she was two months ago, despite our best efforts to boost the iron in her diet. Of course, I can't say for sure that it's the egg that prevented her from absorbing iron, but...

I'm feeling pretty dumb for not figuring this out earlier. Now we have to give her an iron supplement - yuck! Thanks to all of you who offered your insights. MDC is such a good resource!
#27 of 28 Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 PM

pelirroja -- how much did your doc say is "OK"? thanks for updating us!
#28 of 28 Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelirroja View Post
Wow, that sucks. Dd is slightly anemic (at least, she was two months ago), and we've been trying to remedy it with diet rather than giving her iron supplements. I thought eggs were a good iron source, but guess I was wrong! We're getting her tested again this week so we'll see if the eggs made things worse. Thanks for sharing this info, sbgrace.

I also wonder if all the eggs I've been eating are making me iron deficient as well. Maybe my fatigue isn't entirely due to dd's frequent night waking. Guess I should get myself tested as well.
What do you consider "frequent" night waking? Because that is a symptom of food intolerance, and if she has a food intolerance, then that may be why she's iron deficient, since it can cause malabsorption...

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page