Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Nutrition and Good Eating (http://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/)
-   -   It's JULY! What's For Dinner? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/267-nutrition-good-eating/924485-s-july-what-s-dinner.html)

wife&mommy 07-01-2008 11:48 AM

Well, we need a new thread, it's JULY! Can you believe it?
So what's for dinner? :
Anyone have special plans for the 4th?

Alyantavid 07-01-2008 01:16 PM

Our big plans for the 4th are roasting 1/2 a pig. I raised 3 pigs this winter and we saved half of one for a pig roast. There will be tons of people, tons of food and it'll be so much fun!

VikingKvinna 07-01-2008 04:17 PM

July really snuck up on me, so no plans for the 4th yet. I think the kids and I will be at my mom's, so we'll probably do take out or some special treat. Over the weekend we'll probably grill, if we're not invited to any BBQs.

Tonight's dinner is beef-and-snow-pea stir fry with rice. I'll do up some tofu for DP too.

star792 07-01-2008 06:53 PM

Tonight is beer can chicken on the grill with corn on the cob and salad with homemade dressing. I just started making my dressing and it is so much better. We have no plans yet for the 4th. We are still deciding what to eat. Maybe out since we will go to st. augustine for the fireworks.

mbtmom2000 07-01-2008 07:50 PM

I made Skillet Macaroni and Ground beef (pasta, pesto, tomato, ground beef and mozz cheese on top), steamed corn, and texas toast.

Dh says he is grilling "country style" pork ribs for 4th of July. I will make the sides. I am sure we will take dc to the fireworks show downtown.

Dawn

flminivanmama 07-01-2008 08:58 PM

tonights dinner was spinach, strawberry, and blueberry salad with poppy seed dressing and stir fry beef with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and carrots on brown rice. :

friday will be BBQ chicken

mamadelbosque 07-01-2008 09:58 PM

I made fettucino alfredo tonight, with plans for Kung Pao Chicken tommorrow

jeca 07-01-2008 10:32 PM

homemade chicken noodles tonight. i use mushroom soup instead of chicken broth the kids like it better thicker that way.

MaxiMom 07-02-2008 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyantavid View Post
Our big plans for the 4th are roasting 1/2 a pig. I raised 3 pigs this winter and we saved half of one for a pig roast. There will be tons of people, tons of food and it'll be so much fun!
OMG, can I come? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
homemade chicken noodles tonight. i use mushroom soup instead of chicken broth the kids like it better thicker that way.
Chicken noodles? Recipe? Yum.

Tonight was lamb chops with couscous with sauteed peppers, onions and broccoli. Dessert was a sweet canteloupe. I'm making myself hungry, off to find a snack.

I need to get planning for the rest of the week - no big plans for Independence Day.

Alyantavid 07-02-2008 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxiMom View Post
OMG, can I come? :
Absolutely!

Tonight we're having a sausage rice casserole.

VikingKvinna 07-02-2008 01:17 PM

I have swiss chard from our CSA to use up before the next installment comes tomorrow night. I'll probably put it on top of quinoa with tahini sauce.

star792 07-02-2008 01:58 PM

Tonight will be a boring crock pot layered casserole. I have a midwife appt across town at 4 and then I won't have to stress about dinner if I don't get seen until 5 or stuck in traffic. Both of which happen frequently.

MaxiMom 07-02-2008 02:40 PM

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic tonight. Ds suggested mac and cheese, which might actually make a good combo. Probably a salad, too.

flminivanmama 07-02-2008 04:26 PM

i think i am making pizza tonight. pizza and salad

becoming 07-02-2008 07:24 PM

Last night we had a sort of potluck with my parents. We brought roast, potatoes, carrots, and green beans.

Tonight we're having spaghetti, corn, salad, and rolls. I've already made the spaghetti sauce, so not much left to do. :

Suzmama 07-03-2008 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star792 View Post
Tonight will be a boring crock pot layered casserole. .
I have been looking for new crock ideas...can you post this recipe?

Thanks!! :

becoming 07-03-2008 11:05 AM

Tonight is lemon pepper chicken, seasoned veggies (squash, zucchini, carrots, snap peas), salad, and buttered toast.

Alyantavid 07-03-2008 11:34 AM

Tonight was supposed to be leftovers, but the only ones we have is a casserole my boys hated. So I'll probably make them quesadillas, have the casserole myself and who knows what dh will eat when he gets home.

mbtmom2000 07-03-2008 02:22 PM

I wasn't feeling well last night, so I came home and went to bed. Dh made dinner--- frozen pizza and leftovers from the fridge.

Tonight will be:
Baked green chile chicken enchiladas with rice and green beans

Dawn

flminivanmama 07-03-2008 05:26 PM

braised red cabbage with apples onions and sausage - served over quinoa

mamadelbosque 07-03-2008 11:33 PM

I did tacos with mexican rice tonight - was wonderful! The rice took a LOT longer than i thought it would though... not sure what that was all about, but it worked out in the end. Tommorrow we're going up to canton to have dinner with the family - bratwurst and such

MaxiMom 07-05-2008 02:52 AM

It was low key around here today, so I just did a simple pork roast with onions and sage, baked potatoes and red cabbage. Cake for dessert.

flminivanmama 07-05-2008 07:54 AM

7/4 was bbq chicken, corn on the cob, purple cabbage cole slaw

tonight - salmon cakes with mac & cheese

wife&mommy 07-05-2008 10:34 AM

Yesterday we had ribs, mac n cheese, potato salad, (both homemade), and amy's veg baked beans. Oh and my mom made deviled eggs, too. It was really good. Actually we made it Thursday and had leftovers yesterday from it. Tonight I'm not sure yet. We are going to lunch at a Mexican restaurant depending on what time the kids nap that may be early or late so dinner will be very light if it's late.

flminivanmama 07-05-2008 11:36 AM

ohh maybe I'll make deviled eggs with dinner tonight.

mbtmom2000 07-05-2008 03:44 PM

Yesterday we had ribs, hot dogs, brats, potato salad, mac and cheese, baked beans,field peas, rice, corn on cob, rolls, and strawberry shortcake.

We will be eating the leftovers today and tonight.

Dawn

becoming 07-05-2008 05:39 PM

Breakfast: leftover blueberry muffins

Lunch: I used leftover lemon pepper chicken to make chicken, cheese, and Ranch wraps.

Dinner: DS1 is having a friend spend the night, so we're ordering pizza.

mbtmom2000 07-06-2008 12:35 PM

If I can talk dh into grilling...........

grilled ribeyes
grilled cheddar ranch burgers
steamed new potatoes
fresh green beans or broccoli (depends on if I have enough green beans)
salad with lots of veggies

Dawn

Audreysmama 07-06-2008 04:30 PM

Hmmm, well we are having left over rib tips for lunch and something with ground beef for dinner, lol.

Tomorrow is beef (well actually venison) stew & Tuesday will be grilled bbq chicken legs and thighs. We are having a clean out the freezer & pantry marathon due to the budget :-)

VikingKvinna 07-06-2008 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbtmom2000 View Post
grilled cheddar ranch burgers
recipe, please? :

Last night we had whole-grain pasta with butter and parmesan cheese, sauteed zucchini with garlic scapes, and pineapple smoothies.

Tonight we had BBQ chicken legs, grilled zucchini, and the Pioneer Woman's crash hot potatoes =