Cooking from scratch tribe, the original thread, come chat, save and/or learn! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 384 Old 07-03-2008, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
I make my own soymilk (cost is much better at about 15 cents/half-gallon)
Please tell us how!!! I've read some of the info on line, but they all involved buying a rather expensive machine. Can you do it with just a pot on the stove? Where do you buy soybeans for making soymilk?
#62 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 01:08 AM

Yup, I use a soymilk maker. It was kinda pricey - about $80, I think. I got it 5 years ago, and it still works perfectly. At 2 to 3 uses per week, it paid itself off rather quickly.. I also do rice and almond milk in it I got it on an open-box discount thing.

When we lived in CO, I ordered the beans from a buyer's club. Now I get them from a good dent n' scratch store when they have the organic ones for super cheap. sorry to disappoint that I'm not grinding the beans myslef

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#63 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
Please tell us how!!! I've read some of the info on line, but they all involved buying a rather expensive machine. Can you do it with just a pot on the stove? Where do you buy soybeans for making soymilk?
i make soymilk without a machine. it's super labour intensive and doesn't taste great, but i use it for cooking. and ds doesn't know it tastes funny so he drinks it.
#64 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 AM

sub

"Hey, I've got nothin' to do today but smile." - S & G
#65 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 01:50 AM

i'm taking this from scratch thing to a whole new level - we're getting rabbits for meat. they'll live in the basement and i'll try to see them as the animal version of my garden and not cute, fuzzy bunnies.
the ultimate in from-scratch - growing all the ingredients yourself. :
#66 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM

I'm trying more "from scratch" cooking. We too have no room for a garden but I'm trying to take advantage of the seasons this year. I have a huge pantry (with plenty of store bought items, but I'm starting to transition ), two freezers and finally access to a pressure canner and a grain mill! I'm in my glory! I've been busy with strawberries this week. I'm also getting ready to put a big order in for wheat berries so I can grind my own wheat. I'm so excited!

I'm loving all these recipes and have copied them for future use. I keep a food blog. It's showing that I'm a work in progress :. I still have a ways to go, lol! Plus it's a place where I put recipes I want to try, menu plan, food storage and other food related stuff: http://food-simplicity.blogspot.com/
#67 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 11:04 AM

Oh, I love this thread! I've got three loaves of bread in the oven right now. I'm just starting to cook from scratch, and it has been trial and error up to this point, but I'm getting there.
#68 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Totally subbing-- I just realized that there's a whole level of cooking from scratch that I didn't know existed!

I'm going to learn alot from you mama's-- most of the 'american food' DH and I eat is not from scratch, 'cause I don't know how to cook it! Most of the indian stuff is, because I grew up watching my mom cook that way.

Think of all the wonderful traditions you are passing down to your family.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#69 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post
i make soymilk without a machine. it's super labour intensive and doesn't taste great, but i use it for cooking. and ds doesn't know it tastes funny so he drinks it.
Hmmmm.... Super labor intensive doesn't sound great since I am in law school. Plus, it is pretty much a miracle that my DH drinks soymilk at all, so I don't want to jeopardize that with something that doesn't taste as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by root*children View Post
Yup, I use a soymilk maker. It was kinda pricey - about $80, I think. I got it 5 years ago, and it still works perfectly. At 2 to 3 uses per week, it paid itself off rather quickly.. I also do rice and almond milk in it I got it on an open-box discount thing.
Do you mind sharing the brand of the one you have? I've read several websites and reviews, but not sure who to believe!! I'd love a recommendation from an MDC mama, especially since you've used yours regularly for so long! PM me if you prefer.
#70 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 11:37 AM

: that's homemade popcorn, not the expensive movie theater stuff!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#71 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 01:30 PM

Sure, I use a soyajoy. I had a friend who did the trial and error work for me (lucky me!), she bought several that ended up breaking or being very hard to clean, or just not working well (not straining well enough usually). So, (at least 5 years ago), this was the best one out there... I don't know that they make new and improved ones often, since a soymilk maker is not exactly a very desirable item

Here's their website, they're on sale today for the holiday actually:
http://www.soymilkmaker.com/

I can't find that they do the "open box discount" any more, darn! Oh, they send you some of that magic cleaner stuff when you buy it. One of friends swears by the stuff, but I've never ahd a problem cleaning the strainer as long as I do it when the pulp is still wet on it (when it dries out, it's VERY hard to clean!)

I've also had friends buy them on ebay, though i don't see any listed right now. I found one at a yardsale last year that was new int eh box for $5, and ebayed it for $50, I think - so you could always keep an eye out for that

Another thought is just to call or email the soyajoy company and ask if they do the "open box discount" anymore. maybe it's just not advertised on the website.

To make it, I jsut soak about 1/2 cup of beans over night, and then pop them into the maker and press start. Once the milk is made, I sweeten it with whatever is convenient (honey, maple syrup, rice syrup, brown sugar, etc.), add a pinch of salt, and then I fortify it using a liquid Calcium, Magnesium Phosphorus liquid that I order from the NFS.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#72 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM

root*children, does your machine give you the grits to cook with? one of the reasons i make soymilk is that the byproduct, okara, is super healthy and good for cooking with. i might ask for a soymilk maker for my birthday, but only if it doesn't affect the okara.
#73 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Yup, it saves all the okara in a nice little cup for ya. I use it too., or just compost it when I've already got enough

I bought mine for myself for my birthday one year, since noone buys me presents anymore

#74 of 384 Old 07-04-2008, 05:45 PM

subbing
#75 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM

Does anyone have a really good pizza crust recipe? I've tried a few, but haven't found one that is easy that i really like.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3
#76 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post
i'm taking this from scratch thing to a whole new level - we're getting rabbits for meat. they'll live in the basement and i'll try to see them as the animal version of my garden and not cute, fuzzy bunnies.
the ultimate in from-scratch - growing all the ingredients yourself. :
Remember to take them outside once or twice a week - they need sunlight for vit D.
#77 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 01:41 PM

Someone (maybe here?) mentioned coconut milk "ice cream" and I wanted to share that it's been revolutionary for our dairy-free household.

The recipe is beyond easy, and I use agave nectar to lower the sugar content. You need an ice cream maker (we have an attachment for the kitchenaid mixer, but other makers would work).

2 cans of coconut milk (13.5-14 ounces), HIGHEST fat content you can find.
4-6 tablespoons of agave nectar (your choice to taste)

Then, to make mint ice cream, add 2 tsp. peppermint oil. To make chocolate, add 1/3 c. cocoa powder (raw cocoa powder is divine).

REFRIGERATE the 2 cans of coconut milk for about 8 hours. Pour into a bowl and scrape out the cans. Add agave nectar and whatever else (cocoa, peppermint) for the recipe. Whisk together until well blended.

Add to your ice cream maker per your maker's instructions. Takes about 20-25 minutes in our kitchenaid, and makes 3 pints.

We add a smattering of shaved dark chocolate to the mint ice cream to make "mint chocolate chip".

It costs around $3-$4 for the batch, which is around $1-$1.33 per pint. Commercial coconut milk ice cream at Whole Foods is $4.69 per pint! If you can get a deal on coconut milk the price would be lower.

You CANNOT eat too much of this stuff, by the way. I am a dairy ice cream PIG--I can eat a pint in one sitting. With the coconut milk ice cream, I can't eat more than 1 cup--I get sick as a dog. It's very rich, so a little goes a long way.
#78 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post
Does anyone have a really good pizza crust recipe? I've tried a few, but haven't found one that is easy that i really like.
the foccacia recipe I posted upthread is a great pizza crust recipe You don't even have to let it do the doubling rise if you're in a rush - I've let it rise for as little as 1/2 hour and it's still yummy!

And now I'm soooooo making that coconut milk ice cream. yummy!
#79 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
this is the one I have used for about 15 plus years.

4 cups bread flour or regular flour combined with:
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup water and 1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon of yeast.

In a larger bowl, put the yeast and the 1/4 cup warm water. Let sit about 5-10 minutes. Add a bit of the flour and start mixing up. Keep adding flour until dry then add some water until you kneed up a nice dough. but do not over knead.
Spray another bowl w cooking spray and put dough ball in sprinkle extra flour on it. Cover with a dish cloth and let sit out. After an hour, punch down the dough. Let rise again. Punch down.

I have skipped the rising part many times and the pizza is fine. But the rising really makes the dough tasty. We make this literally every Friday night and the earlier I get the dough going, the better it is.

A varietion- add a cup of wheat flour into the flour recipe and use only 3 cups of the white flour.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#80 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 04:32 PM

Quote:
This is my favorite:

Ingredients
1 cup flat beer
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons yeast

Directions
1 Put ingredients in bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer. Use dough setting.
2 When machine is completed, remove dough and place in greased bowl. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Roll or press in prepared pan. Brush lightly with olive oil. Cover and let stand 15 minutes.
3 Add sauce and toppings. Bake at 400º for 24 minutes or until done and crust is crispy on outside.
#81 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthiegirl View Post
I am getting better and better with my 'from scratch' cooking. I spent the last few months getting beans just right. Now I can make refried beans from dried ones and they actually taste good.

This month I am going to commit myself to homemade tortillas. We eat so many wrap-type meals that I spend $10-15 a month on tortillas alone. I can do better that that!

When it cools off in the Fall, I plan on working on bread. But for now, I am sucking it up and paying $2.50 for a loaf of bread. It is just too hot to turn on the oven.

Please teach me to make tortillas. I want to learn:
#82 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM

: That's all for now.
#83 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 PM

I've been making more of our bread lately. I have a machine that makes it easier for me to do when we're busy. We inventoried our pantry lately and are working on planning food around what we keep in stock, instead of constantly giving in to cravings. It's been rough b/c we both work, I hold multiple jobs and DH is still recovering from his accident last year.

Yesterday I put a pot of beans on with the bread and put them away when they were finished cooking. We went to a family party and DH has another party this afternoon. I am freezing some of the beans tonight and the rest will be made into refried beans to be served on fry bread tomorrow as tacos. I do make some of our flatbreads but also keep flour tortillas for when I just can't make something.

I have a tortilla press and the kids love to help. I use it for forming corn and flour tortillas and chapati. This week we are planning to experiment with granola making. I love granola but it's very expensive and the ingredients are things I have on hand anyway. When we have the recipe fine-tuned, my stepmom and I are going to make a bunch b/c my sibs love granola too.
#84 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Both a cooking from scratch and a frugality question. I am in *LOVE* with using shallots instead of onions for so many of my recipes. I particularly enjoy them floured and sauteed to put on my garlic mashed potatoes. The problem is that they are quite expensively sold like 2 or 3 to a mesh bag at T.J. or other grocery stores. At one point, I found them at Costco (large bag) for a good price, but they no longer carry them. Does anyone have ideas of good places to buy shallots in bulk?
Do you have a farmer's market in your area? There is a farmer near me who sells in our farmer's market every Saturday and the guy is amazing. He grows shallots, red onion, 3 different kinds of garlic, fingerling potatoes, and heirloom tomatoes. I can't remember what his shallots were going for per pound.
#85 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 08:25 PM

Subbing -- this is a fantastic thread! I'm somewhere on the spectrum in the middle. No garden (yet), use some cans and don't make my own stock/broth regularly, but I do cook from scratch most nights of the week (usually 6 of 7). I'm in one of those modes or phases right now where I'm doing it at my max, but when I'm pregnant it's a little wifty and our fridge has been broken, so that's made things weird for the last month. One upcoming goal for me is more scratch-made snacks. I currently do a lot of snacks that are nuts, seeds, fruit, yogurt (from a big storebought container), etc. but would like to try my hand at making more bars and getting back into the habit of muffins and quickbreads. Must tread lightly there since I like them a bit too much

Does anyone have a veg*n recipe that makes good non-meat-balls? Could someone share a tried and true corn tortilla recipe? Thank you

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
#86 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmkrueger View Post
Does anyone have a veg*n recipe that makes good non-meat-balls?
1 C pecan meal or finely ground nuts (I usually grind pecans myself)
1 C chopped onions
1 Cfine cracker crumbs or bread crumbs
1/2 C grated cheese (can easily be omitted)
1 T parsley flakes
6 eggs beaten (you can not use a powdered egg substitute because it doesn't bind, but I have friends who use ground flax seeds mixed with water. I forget the ratio of flax/water)

OPTIONAL:
Dash of soy sauce
Oregano or Italian Seasoning
Poultry seasoning
Thyme or sage
(Obviously not all of theme; season based on the sauce you plan to use)

Combine all ingredients, form into balls and brown. Bake in oven covered with cream of (something -- mushroom, celery, whatever) soup, spaghetti sauce or brown gravy. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.

You can make a huge batch, up to the browning of the non-meat balls. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, so they are just barely touching and put the cookie sheet into the freezer. Once they are frozen solid, you can put them into freezer ziplocs for storage (they won't stick together when you take them out of the freezer if you use this method). You do not have to thaw them before baking. Put in a dish, cover with sauce and bake. It will take longer for them to bake, probably an hour.

This is my grandma's recipe. I have demonstrated this recipe at the Fair and served samples -- people really like it, even if they aren't veg*n.
#87 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydee View Post
Do you have a farmer's market in your area? There is a farmer near me who sells in our farmer's market every Saturday and the guy is amazing. He grows shallots, red onion, 3 different kinds of garlic, fingerling potatoes, and heirloom tomatoes. I can't remember what his shallots were going for per pound.
We have 4 within 10 miles - one on Saturday, one on Tuesday, one on Wednesday, and one on Friday... none of them have very good produce yet (I'm in the flooded midwest). I thought there might be somewhere online to buy them in bulk. Hopefully the FM will have some good produce soon. Next year, I'll try to expand my garden even more and include them.
#88 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenegirl View Post
1 C pecan meal or finely ground nuts (I usually grind pecans myself)
1 C chopped onions
1 Cfine cracker crumbs or bread crumbs
1/2 C grated cheese (can easily be omitted)
1 T parsley flakes
6 eggs beaten (you can not use a powdered egg substitute because it doesn't bind, but I have friends who use ground flax seeds mixed with water. I forget the ratio of flax/water)

OPTIONAL:
Dash of soy sauce
Oregano or Italian Seasoning
Poultry seasoning
Thyme or sage
(Obviously not all of theme; season based on the sauce you plan to use)

Combine all ingredients, form into balls and brown. Bake in oven covered with cream of (something -- mushroom, celery, whatever) soup, spaghetti sauce or brown gravy. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.

You can make a huge batch, up to the browning of the non-meat balls. Lay them out on a cookie sheet, so they are just barely touching and put the cookie sheet into the freezer. Once they are frozen solid, you can put them into freezer ziplocs for storage (they won't stick together when you take them out of the freezer if you use this method). You do not have to thaw them before baking. Put in a dish, cover with sauce and bake. It will take longer for them to bake, probably an hour.

This is my grandma's recipe. I have demonstrated this recipe at the Fair and served samples -- people really like it, even if they aren't veg*n.

Awesome recipe, Karen! Thank you! My DH and kids have, um, unusual tastes (w/in my range of family and friend experience) b/c all but 1 love "meat"balls but wouldn't touch a burger or a dog on a bun (some will eat a veg "sausage" but no bun)...Nate's vegan meatballs are a staple, but this is definitely an area where I ask, "Can I make this myself?!" Thanks again!

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
#89 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice View Post
: that's homemade popcorn, not the expensive movie theater stuff!
I'm really just subbing to lurk here, but I had to share a popcorn tip I got from an Alton Brown book. Super easy microwave popcorn: 1/3 cup popcorn into a brown paper lunch bag. Fold down twice and staple twice making sure to leave about 2 inches between staples. As long as the staples don't touch the sides of the microwave, it is totally fine. In my microwave, it takes about 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I try to remove the staples carefully so I can reuse the same paper bag several times. This method was a revelation to me since my older dd's standard after school snack is popcorn and I hate making it on the stove every day. I was looking into getting a hot air popper, but have no room in my tiny kitchen for more stuff.

Also, for all of you bread makers, I love homemade bread, but the problem is that when I take a loaf of bread out of the oven . . . . I EAT A LOAF OF BREAD! It smells so good and I can't help myself. Everyone comes running and it's gone. If you make it regularly do you get over that and just eat it like store bought which we just use for toast or sandwiches?
#90 of 384 Old 07-05-2008, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmkrueger View Post
Awesome recipe, Karen! Thank you! My DH and kids have, um, unusual tastes (w/in my range of family and friend experience) b/c all but 1 love "meat"balls but wouldn't touch a burger or a dog on a bun (some will eat a veg "sausage" but no bun)...Nate's vegan meatballs are a staple, but this is definitely an area where I ask, "Can I make this myself?!" Thanks again!
np! I should have mentioned, my DH is not veg*n at all and he still likes these!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page