Cooking from scratch tribe, the original thread, come chat, save and/or learn! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 384 Old 07-21-2008, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#242 of 384 Old 07-21-2008, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
In the great tradition of my family, I will never be able to make it exactly the same again.
I do that too!! Also my MIL does the same thing. My DH loves that because he says its different everytime. My mother can make the meals the exact same way even if you blindfolded her and tied her hands behind her back.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#243 of 384 Old 07-21-2008, 10:53 PM

I am loving this thread. One thing I want to do soon is find some other scratch cookers in my area who might want to get together and cook up a bunch of things from scratch together. You know, make up a big old batch of pastas one day, bread another day, soups and pasta sauces another day, etc. Collective kitchens!

Whole foods from scratch, yum.
#244 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM

subbing!
#245 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 09:08 AM

I finally made chicken nuggets from scratch for the first time. And they were soo yummy! I din't make enough to freeze this time, but you bet I will next time.
Recipe for Chix nuggets:
Cut up raw chix into nuggets
Marinate for 1/2 hour in Olive oil, crushed garlic and black pepper
Roll into homemade herb breadcrumbs
Bake at 350 degrees until done

I don't know if it was the marinating or the homemade breadcrumbs or both, but I really enjoyed them and so does ds. Hooray!

Also this weekend I managed to make zuchinni bread- 1 to eat now and 1 for the freezer.

Last night we had tacos with local, organic beef, shredded cheese (shredded by my hand), homemade salsa and tortillas (not homemade yet) and organic local tomatoes. It was such a good easy meal that felt really good to serve my family. It wasn't 100% made from scratch, but it was all local and organic and some homemade, therefore it felt really nice to serve it to my family. It felt like a lot of love was in it b/c of the carefully chosen ingredients. This might not be the right place to post this, but I'm going to anyways.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#246 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
I finally made chicken nuggets from scratch for the first time. And they were soo yummy! I din't make enough to freeze this time, but you bet I will next time.
Recipe for Chix nuggets:
Cut up raw chix into nuggets
Marinate for 1/2 hour in Olive oil, crushed garlic and black pepper
Roll into homemade herb breadcrumbs
Bake at 350 degrees until done

I don't know if it was the marinating or the homemade breadcrumbs or both, but I really enjoyed them and so does ds. Hooray!

Also this weekend I managed to make zuchinni bread- 1 to eat now and 1 for the freezer.

Last night we had tacos with local, organic beef, shredded cheese (shredded by my hand), homemade salsa and tortillas (not homemade yet) and organic local tomatoes. It was such a good easy meal that felt really good to serve my family. It wasn't 100% made from scratch, but it was all local and organic and some homemade, therefore it felt really nice to serve it to my family. It felt like a lot of love was in it b/c of the carefully chosen ingredients. This might not be the right place to post this, but I'm going to anyways.

I think its a lot of love too, can I move in with you???

share the salsa recipe!?! :

I usually for salsa just grab a bunch of stuff from the garden and chop it all up and it usually tastes good so I am wondering how others do this.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#247 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM

Homemade Salsa-
1 Large can of organic crushed or diced tomatoes (or cut up your own and juice them a good bit, or maybe blend them)
1 small can of diced green chilis (or cut up your own)
1 medium yellow onion
As much diced and crushed garlic as you like
sea salt or kosher salt to taste
Fresh cilantro chopped up- I don't know the amount, I use a lot. I'd say about 1/2-1 cup
1-2 limes squeezed for juice

If you like you can add corn and blackbeans.

This recipe works best made ahead by about a day. Sitting in the fridge overnight really marries all the flavors and lets the cilantro really get it's flavor throughout.

This salsa can obviously be made semi homemade or fully homemade as suggested in the directions. It is really good. It's so fresh and totally tastes like summer. I love it. I did recently make enough to freeze and it seemed to work well. I'm already into the freezer stash.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#248 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM

Those nuggets sound good. I'll have to try those sometime. We had ground beef stroganoff tonight. The ground beef, onions and garlic were all from local sources. I did use a can of Amy's og Cream soup since I didn't start soon enough to make my own. It seems to take FOREVER to thicken up. I've never tried to make sour cream, so that was from a carton also. The beets and fennel we had as a side were from our CSA. We had sprouts in our salad from the local farmer's market. I have the seeds to start sprouts but have never gotten around to it. It sounds fairly easy though.
#249 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 11:24 PM
cjr

Sour cream can be made by taking a few tbsp of butter milk with live cultures, and mixing it with cream. Let it sit on your counter for a day or two until thick. If you use whipping cream then it's creme freish, otherwise use 18% cereal cream. You also make buttermilk this way using just regular milk and the buttermilk with cultures.

I am making things for the freezer for winter. I pulled spinach from the garden and I'm making the stuffing for vegan spanikopita's, which I will assemble and bake tomorrow. Then freeze and vacume seal for winter storage. I am also starting to make a stash of frozen hashbrowns with the potatoes that are coming from the garden.

I have decided to vacume seal freezable dishes from produce that comes from the garden. Those that can be frozen of course. Fall will bring vegan perogies and vegan cabbage rolls. I want a good stash of pre-made meals this winter.

I am waiting on my tortilla press purchase. I can't wait. I never thought about making home made frozen chicken nuggets. Great idea.
#250 of 384 Old 07-22-2008, 11:46 PM

cjr, by vegan perogies you mean perogies with no eggs or dairy, right? Could I get the recipe for the dough, if that's the case? I'd like to try to convert it to gf, also. We've been missing perogies like there's no tomorrow.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#251 of 384 Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 AM

How do I freeze pizza crust? I can usually get 2 XL pizzas from my recipe. I would like to freeze one. Can I just freeze the dough in a ziploc bag? I could par bake one but being so big I'm not sure what I would put it in. I could 1/2 the recipe but I would like to have it waiting in the freezer for a "what the heak happened to meal planning" night.

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning
#252 of 384 Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
I am waiting on my tortilla press purchase.
They are pretty inexpensive. DH picked up It pays for itself pretty quick as well.

#253 of 384 Old 07-23-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr View Post
Sour cream can be made by taking a few tbsp of butter milk with live cultures, and mixing it with cream. Let it sit on your counter for a day or two until thick. If you use whipping cream then it's creme freish, otherwise use 18% cereal cream. You also make buttermilk this way using just regular milk and the buttermilk with cultures.
Thanks for this info! Can the buttermilk be the actual milk left over when making butter, or does it have to be the thicker product from the store?
#254 of 384 Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
How do I freeze pizza crust? I can usually get 2 XL pizzas from my recipe. I would like to freeze one. Can I just freeze the dough in a ziploc bag? I could par bake one but being so big I'm not sure what I would put it in. I could 1/2 the recipe but I would like to have it waiting in the freezer for a "what the heak happened to meal planning" night.
I usually just roll out the dough and put it in the freezer on a baking sheet and then wrap it really well in foil. When I need pizza, I just unwrap, top and bake as usual (450 degrees for 20 minutes). HTH.

B.
Mama to : July '06
#255 of 384 Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 PM
cjr

Quote:
Thanks for this info! Can the buttermilk be the actual milk left over when making butter, or does it have to be the thicker product from the store?
It has to be the buttermilk from the store with the active buttermilk culture in it. It's pretty cheap and there ingredient list is pretty small. Or if you can find organic buttermilk I would go that route. You can also just buy the buttermilk culture and culture your own buttermilk, which is just the milk mixed with the culture sitting at room temperature for two days.
#256 of 384 Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM

homemade buttermilk recipe

homemade sour cream recipe
#257 of 384 Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM

::
#258 of 384 Old 07-25-2008, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Its pizza night tonight! : I am making Chicken Ceaser pizza for DH and I.

1 chicken breast grilled and chopped up
a pizza dough
zella
ceasar dressing- either fresh or bottled. ( I have leftover dressing, thus the pizza idea)

I also serve a salad on the side with it. Very yummy and fills you quickly because of the chicken so always leftovers for the next day.

I made this one time over the Thanksgiving holiday when family was in town at my ILs. Several months later I got a call out of the blue from my 15 yr old nephew in Ohio. He wanted to know how to make this pizza for him and his friends. I guess he and another friend do not like "red" pizzas as they said. I half expected to get a call from this friend's mother within a few days so she could make it for him! This was not the first time I have gotten a call about a dish I have prepared. A lot of times I dont have a recipe so I have to really think about how to do it.

#259 of 384 Old 07-25-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewp11100 View Post
I usually make pizza crust two at a time on weekends. I go through the entire process, including rising. Instead of rolling it out and making a pizza, I freeze. I just take each ball of dough, wrap it (plastic wrap or whatever), place both in a Ziploc and freeze. Oh, I put a lot of flour on the outside of the ball so it makes it easier to remove from the wrap.

When I'm ready to use, I set it out until it thaws. Then I roll it out and if I have time, I leave it sit a bit. (If I don't have time, I just make it.) When I'm ready, I just pile on the sauce and toppings and pop it in the oven. It's super easy and I'm wondering why in the world I ever bought a premade crust!

Amy-the Chicken Cesar pizza sounds yummy! That's on my list to try next.

A supportive military wife and mama to my busy boy and sweet girl.
#260 of 384 Old 07-25-2008, 07:00 PM

I'm doing semi-hawaiian pizza tonight.

Ham, pineapple on half of it (DH doesn't like pineapple), homemade bbq sauce left over from last night, and mozzarella. Will throw a salad together on the side.
#261 of 384 Old 07-26-2008, 07:16 PM

Tonight's menu:

Roast chicken with herb butter
Giblet gravy
Smashed potatoes
Leftover Cucumbers w/Butter-Cream sauce.

Somewhere, a cardiologist is crying.
#262 of 384 Old 07-26-2008, 07:18 PM

Wanted: Couscous recipes

DH is not into Middle Eastern foods, generally (if it doesn't LOOK Middle Eastern, I can sometimes get away with it). Can I use it like maybe a polenta or just throw some spaghetti sauce in with it, or whatnot? Of course, if you have a super-duper couscous recipe, I'd love if you'd share
#263 of 384 Old 07-27-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Tonight's menu:

Giblet gravy
Smashed potatoes

Sounds great, though!

As far as couscous, the texture isn't like polenta at all, really, so I personally think it sounds kinda ick with just a sauce over it. I don't have a recipe for it, it's actually been a long time since I've thought to buy it. I should do that at some point.
#264 of 384 Old 07-27-2008, 12:42 AM
cjr

Quote:
cjr, by vegan perogies you mean perogies with no eggs or dairy, right? Could I get the recipe for the dough, if that's the case? I'd like to try to convert it to gf, also. We've been missing perogies like there's no tomorrow.
I have found a recipie for vegan samosa's. The dough is the same, except with an egg added in when it's for perogies. I was going to experiment at first, but then I though the vegan samosa's sounded better with more flavor.
#265 of 384 Old 07-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Wanted: Couscous recipes

DH is not into Middle Eastern foods, generally (if it doesn't LOOK Middle Eastern, I can sometimes get away with it). Can I use it like maybe a polenta or just throw some spaghetti sauce in with it, or whatnot? Of course, if you have a super-duper couscous recipe, I'd love if you'd share
We sometimes have couscous for a quick side dish. I saute up some minced garlic in olive oil, and then throw in some herbs - chopped parsley, oregano, maybe dried basil, maybe some dill... Then I saute the couscous quickly with the fragrant oil, add some vegetable broth, salt and pepper, and let it sit covered to absorb the liquid. I think it's a little fluffier if I stir it once or twice while it's absorbing, but it's totally not necessary.
#266 of 384 Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy123 View Post
Re: yellow squash

One of my very favorite soups uses yellow squash--the Golden Cheddar cheese soup from the Moosewood Cooks at home cookbook. (You also need potatoes, carrot, onions, milk, cheddar cheese and the spice turmeric and that 's about it.) I can find the recipe if you are interested. It's
I'm a little late seeing this, but I would LOVE that recipe. It sounds delicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcedaze View Post
I make paninis without one, and just use two of my cast iron pans. I heat both pans up, the sandwich goes on my bigger one with a griddle side, and then I press the bottom of the other one on top. It works perfectly! :
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
#267 of 384 Old 07-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Tonight's menu:

Giblet gravy
Smashed potatoes

:

How did you make the butter-cream sauce? This sounds like something my hubby would love.
#268 of 384 Old 07-28-2008, 01:30 PM

We really enjoy couscous or Israeli couscous (which is a little more noodle-like balls of couscous) with sauteed garlic in olive oil, veggie broth, then with added diced red onion, cuke, bell pepper, and tomato, fresh mint and parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper. You can serve warm or cold.

Couscous with tomato sauce is decent...

It's also good as all kinds of pilaf with veggies, dried fruit, nuts, curry, etc. I can dig up some recipes if you're interested!

We had a nice visit w/ my Mom over the weekend and I made a pasta salad w/ green beans, cherry tomatoes, herbs, champagne vinaigrette...veggie soup and tabbouleh, and then hummus to eat with the leftover tabbouleh and pita. We also went out to eat twice! Once at the local awesome restaurant, and we got carryout very-fresh-Mex. Mmmmmmmmmm! I'm reheating leftover wilted spinach quesadilla with pico right now.

Tonight I'm going to my first Slow Food convivium meeting and bringing...something scratch. Brown bread and BBQ baked beans? Homemade crackers and some kind of spread? Onion pan bread w/ salsa? Brownies? Banana something?

* Holly * rural Seattle suburban SAHM to Elizabeth 11 * Cole 9 * Annie 5 * Blaise 3 * and Urban 2 mos *
#269 of 384 Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Bannana bread would be good for the slow food meeting but I whip it up pretty quick it seems so I dont know if that is slow...but I wait until the bannanas are rotting before using them and that can be a slow process since a lot of times my family just eats them all before hand!

#270 of 384 Old 07-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amys1st View Post
Bannana bread would be good for the slow food meeting but I whip it up pretty quick it seems so I dont know if that is slow...but I wait until the bannanas are rotting before using them and that can be a slow process since a lot of times my family just eats them all before hand!
nak
i have a banana bag in the freezer. when ever i have one bad one i take the peel off and throw it in. also if someone only eats 1/2 a banana i throw that in too, till i have enough to make bread with

Erin Mama to thing 1 and 2 WAH with CELIAC?! Living and Learning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page