Cooking from scratch tribe, the original thread, come chat, save and/or learn! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There has been so many threads about saving money by cooking from scratch or not. I want to start a tribe so we can share ideas, how to stock your pantry or fridge etc for scratch cooking and what to invest in.

Keep in mind a few of us are true scratch cookers and there are others that are getting there. We are not here to flame or judge or say thats not true scratch cooking and point fingers. Example- some of us grow our own tomatoes and can them at the harvest for sauce later on. Others buy canned tomatoes to make sauce either on sale at Aldi or buy the organic at whole foods for $3. So there is a huge variety of people to share ideas about scratch cooking.

Whether you do this because you love to cook (me), save money (me), are trying to decrease your footprint, (me), or you just want to learn, come join us!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#2 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 01:01 PM

I would love to join! At this point I'm the "buy the canned tomatoes at Save A Lot and make my own sauce" gal. My goal is to grow a garden next year and can extra produce, bake our own bread and lunch snacks (cookies, muffins, granola bars, etc), stock a basic pantry and fix simple and healthy meals for my family.

A couple of my favorite cookbooks that fall into this category:

Make A Mix
More with Less
Just Beans
#3 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 01:21 PM

well i try. We do shop at whole foods haha

I have 1 tomato plant, thats what I can fit right now and it has maybe 4 green tomatoes I am planning on ,aking my own pasta sauce this week. Havent done it before but I was going to buy organic canned tomatoes. Ic ant have any sodium, so they are expensive no salt added blah I wish i had my own tomatoes or enough space for a few plants. Right now we have blueberries, carrots, peppers, lemons and all kinds of herbs .

Because I cant have sodium and DD is one haha I am low on ideas for family meals right now I bake 3 loaves of bread, once a week for sandwiches and "pizza"

Make pasta usually buy the sauce but next week we make it (decided on this before this threat I swear)

Then I make a HUGE pot of lentil/rice soup with potatoes, onions, carrots herbs from the garden and whatever other vegies i got at the farmer's market. DD and DH love this soup and cant get enough. Its waht we eat for dinner all week sad hahaha but its great and healthy

O i also make cookies once a week usually, sugar, oatmeal, pb not healthy but with no sleep going on over a year now (including pregnancy) i need the sugar!

I make dd's food each meal, vegies, fruit, mixed with whipping cream or yogurt (bought) I buy frozen fruits and vegies mixed with fresh for her also hummus, tortillas, she eats the bread we bake and soup as well, pasta.... but i have to supplement of course. She is thin o and also exclusively bfed all day long and night.

So i would love to hear recipes and whatever other make from scratch. You dont do dinner every night from scratch right???????
#4 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 01:43 PM

I'm so in, love this idea!! I do pretty much everything from scratch, except crackers (still haven't found a recipe my boys like!) We've expanded our garden this year so I'm planning to can a lot, and will be supplementing our garden with farmer's market stuff to freeze for winter.

tonight's dinner is cheese quesadillas with homemade corn tortillas, store-bought cheese and sour cream, and fresh pico de gallo with garden tomatoes, onions and cilantro. I think I might do refried black beans too, soaked 'em last night but now I'm feeling lazy, LOL! They're so easy to do though, I really should just make em!

refried beans recipe (vegetarian, low fat)
2 T oil (I use olive)
1 pound black beans, soaked and cooked or 2 cans drained and rinsed
1 oinion, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1T cumin
1/2 T chili
2T fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

sautee garlic and onions in oil over medium heat till onions are translucent
add beans and seasoning, use potato masher to mash beans
turn heat to med low, and let cook for 15-25 minutes
take off ehat, mix cilantro in and serve!
(soooooo good on tortillas with some sour cream!)
#5 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I am getting better and better with my 'from scratch' cooking. I spent the last few months getting beans just right. Now I can make refried beans from dried ones and they actually taste good.

This month I am going to commit myself to homemade tortillas. We eat so many wrap-type meals that I spend $10-15 a month on tortillas alone. I can do better that that!

When it cools off in the Fall, I plan on working on bread. But for now, I am sucking it up and paying $2.50 for a loaf of bread. It is just too hot to turn on the oven.

Frugal, food growing mama to my four loves

#6 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 PM

I'm in too! I was actually looking around for some scratch cookin recipes and found this! I have this book The New York Times Natural Foods Cookbook by Jean Hewitt and it's awesome!!!!!!! My mama gave it to me and it's the 1972? edition. The pages are so brittle but the ideas in here are fabulous. Was looking for another newer similar book, since this one is out of print.

My latest scratch cooking adventures is homemade bread baking. I have been so intimidated by baking that I hadn't tried until now. I've been making a great Honey Wheat bread that is so yummy. It's pretty simple too, heres the link http://www.tammysrecipes.com/homemade_wheat_bread , I add honey to it to make honey wheat (about 4 tablespoons) and it turns out great, in fact baked 2 this mornin. I didn't make this one up but my name is Tammy, lol.

Anyways, can't wait to see what other ideas come from this tribe!!!

Living Simply and Enjoying Life
#7 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM

How about making yogurt? Can someone clue me in on how to do it?!

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#8 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
I have a yogurt maker. You need a yeast starter to get going and thats it. I would love to use it still but the amount of yogurt it makes and the amount we consume, the electricity alone would kill me! So no more home made yogurt.

And yes I cook from scratch each and every night.

One thing I am looking for is a great home made baggette bread recipe.
I love to make and bake my own bread. There is something about kneeding that is so theuriputic.

We also started making out own corn tortillas and they are yummy. Do you have a good flour one recipe??

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#9 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 02:51 PM

i want to learn to make cheese. animal, vegetable, miracle got me all excited about it.
#10 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
yogurt's actually insanely easy to make! I've got one going that started with soem greek yogurt from trader joes (2-3 tablespoons) and then half gallon of whole organic milk (we eat a LOT of yogurt, LOL!) mis them together, and then just put it in a warm spot overnight (I use the oven, it's gas so the pilot light keeps it warm) others I know have had success putting it on top of a heating pad on low, with a towel between the two.
#11 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I just bring a gallon of milk to the boiling point for one minute, let it cool to "warm on the wrist" (115F), mix in 1/2 cup store-bought plain yogurt (or yogurt from my last batch, if making a smaller batch use 2 Tablespoons per quart of milk), and keep it warm for 5-8 hours. I put it in glass storage jars, first. But I've reused the plastic yogurt containers before or just left it in the pot, too. If you have a gas stove, the heat from the pilot light will be enough. I just put my electric one on so that it is barely on, no where near where the temperature numbers. The ideal temp is 110F. You can also just wrap it in a towel to protect from breezes and put it someplace sunny. Homemade yogurt will be thinner than storebought. If that is a problem, you can strain it through cheesecloth (you can also make yogurt cheese that way, add some garlic or spices if you want and strain longer). It will seem a little thicker after you cool it for a few hours.

ETA I'm not sure if the boiling is necessary with modern ultra pasteurized milk. I've never wanted to risk having a batch not turn out by skipping that, lol. My directions are from the Fannie Farmer cookbook.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#12 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 PM

Amy I have to rec the book Artisian Bread in Five Minutes a Day..it's AWESOME! No kneading, but it's bistor/bakery quality bread and so YUM!

Here's how I make the basci recipe:

makes 3 1-1.lb loaves

MIX
2 packets of yeast
1.5 tsp of Kosher Salt
3.5 cups of lukewarm water (nees to be about 120 degrees)

Add 6 cups of unbleached AP flour (I use organic)

Mix well.
Let dough rise in bowl/container for 2 hrs
Put in fridge for up to 2 weeks. Let dough sit in fridge for 3 hrs before first baking. This is a wet dough and you will need to use some flour to shape it.
Do not seal/airtight your container. I put mine in a HUGE cermanic bowl and throw plastic wrap on top.
Let dough rest 20 mintutes before you put it into a 420 degree oven on a baking stone or in a dutch oven. Use a steam pan under for a yummy crispy crust.
We LOVE this bread!

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#13 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
yogurt's actually insanely easy to make! I've got one going that started with soem greek yogurt from trader joes (2-3 tablespoons) and then half gallon of whole organic milk (we eat a LOT of yogurt, LOL!) mis them together, and then just put it in a warm spot overnight (I use the oven, it's gas so the pilot light keeps it warm) others I know have had success putting it on top of a heating pad on low, with a towel between the two.
#14 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 04:22 PM

just got mother earth news in the mail today and there's a great article (with easy recipes) on cheesemaking - thought it was very timely
#15 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 04:25 PM

I'll join!!

We do a fair amount of canning ourselves, but I also buy minimally processed foods to create our own 'nearly scratch' foods!

Our fav from scratch meal lately is bean burritos (and NO we don't make the cheese ourselves! ). We use the hillbilly housewife tortilla recipe but make it half whole wheat and half white flour. We use pinto beans that we canned ourselves from dry beans and make them into refried beans. We like to add in cheese at the table (due to Molly Anne's dairy allergy) and top with homemade canned salsa. Yummy!
#16 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josybear View Post
i want to learn to make cheese. animal, vegetable, miracle got me all excited about it.
Me, too - the book was great! I also got the Mother Earth mag a couple of weeks ago (had a chapter from the book and some recipes) and that made me think it was doable at home. I checked out Home Cheese Making, by Ricki Carroll from the library rather than buy it, and started reading through it.

I'm motivated, just have to buy the initial ingredients to get started. It always seems that projects like this, frugal as they are in the long run, cost a nice big of change to get started. And since I've been in the middle of canning, that's been where I've been putting my extra funds (canner, jars, lids, etc). Dh has asked me to hold off, since I also spent a bundle starting a garden this year.
#17 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 04:56 PM

Well we are suburbanites with a small...or I could say no yard so a garden for me is not in the cards in this house...we are planning on moving hopefully in a year back to MN or SD and I want some land so that I can really cook from scratch...I dream of a big garden, chickens for meat and eggs, some goats for milk, maybe a pig and cow, even maybe some sheep for wool.

Anyway, for now I make everything from scratch...using grocery store supplies!

Probably my favorite thing to make is pizza...I love my dough! It's just basically the dough used for my bread! Does anyone have a great recipe for pizza sauce? I can't seem to ever get the seasonings right so I have resorted to store bought.

I don't buy any convience foods...I guess except crackers...but I would like to try making graham crackers! And the occasional box of Annies mac and cheese...it makes me sick though thinking about it

I am going to soak in all of the ideas and recipes.
#18 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 05:13 PM

Amy, I second the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book, it was really good!

I'm also looking for a good cracker recipe, my kids are cracker mongers!

I'm Nadia, SAHM to 3 kids and while I can and do cook, I would like to do it more to save us money and to eat healthier as well. I want to get back to baking bread (maybe using the Artisan Bread book) and I am hoping to start canning this year too. I don't have my garden in yet, but there are some plants 50% off at a store near me, so I might try to get it in yet.

Baking mama to dd (7.5), ds (6), ds (3.5) and someone new in April
#19 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Well I definitely am not as industrious as some on here, but I do cook from scratch most nights. I make my own Caeser salad dressing almost nightly(while being pg got a craving that has not left, gotta have the Caeser). I am great at baking bread, but right now 2 things are keeping me from doing that. First it's about 100 at my house right now, and the oven is not going on. Second-it's more for just enjoying, my DH will not make sandwiches with homemade bread, it's not "soft" enough for his p.b & j, that's fine with me.

I would say I am another person who makes homemade foods using store purchased ingredients.

I'm here to see if anyone can steer me in a good direction for homemade pasta, I was given the pasta attachment for my KitchenAid by my neighbor, and I would love to make raviolis or something yummy.

I have been making more homemade things, but I am going to continue to get my tortillas from the tortilliaria, they are just like the ones in Mexico and they are so good. Speaking of Mexican food, does anyone know how to make authentic red enchilada sauce and cabbage pico de gallo? Those two things are my favorite.:. Thanks.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#20 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post
I am great at baking bread, but right now 2 things are keeping me from doing that. First it's about 100 at my house right now, and the oven is not going on. Second-it's more for just enjoying, my DH will not make sandwiches with homemade bread, it's not "soft" enough for his p.b & j, that's fine with me.
Totally agree with you on the bread for both reasons (maybe it's because I'm in eastern WA too...it's so hot!). I just can't make a pb and j with thick slices of sourdough. I just use it for breakfast/snack with jelly or cream cheese. Maybe non-sourdough would be better for "regular" use.

I especially like making the following things from scratch: granola, refried beans, veggie burgers, bread and buns, yummy jam, baked goods that use local or garden fruit.

I would like to get better at making healthy (and portable) snack food from scratch. Like granola bars.

I also hope to do canning for the first time this year: tomato things (spag. sauce, plain tomatoes, salsa), beans, maybe some fruit.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#21 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 09:47 PM

I love this thread! I do a lot of from scratch cooking. We have a garden that produces well, but come middle of winter I am buying canned tomatos for sauces and cooking. Always mean to get more of it in the freezer, but find that we just cook it up and have friends over.

This thread has got me thinking about getting back to baking bread and learning how to make flour tortillas. I used to do much of our baking, but got out of the habit. Time to restart!

Our new favorite for chicken has been to saute some chicken breasts and then chunk it up. With this I add a large onion thinly sliced, some garlic minced and cook through. Then I add some coconut milk (using canned) and some diced up chili peppers or jalapenos whichever I have on hand, Add to this a good curry spice mixture and heat through. Add diced tomato if I've got it. When it is almost done, wilt some spinach over the top. Served on brown rice or alone - it is fantastic!
#22 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 10:14 PM

When I make yogurt at home, I add just a little bit of sugar (a teaspoon to a tablespoon, depending on how big a batch), and some powdered milk. That may be 1/3 to a 1/2 cup.

I have one of those incubators with the little jars. I like it a lot. Very easy. Plus, I like the jars.
#23 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl View Post
I especially like making the following things from scratch: granola, refried beans, veggie burgers, bread and buns, yummy jam, baked goods that use local or garden fruit.
Does your homemade granola have clusters? I've been making my own lately, and although it's quite good, it doesn't chunk up like the store-bought stuff. And I admit, I kind of liked the clusters. I haven't experimented enough to see what I need to do to get clusters--I'm guessing more sticky stuff (maybe more honey?) and a lower, slower bake. Anyone know?

I'll sub to this thread. I cook from scratch, and I do almost all of our bread and I've just recently started doing our yogurt. I don't have room for much of a garden (although my five tomato plants are looking good!), but I do can and freeze food from the farmer's market. This past week I made homemade whole wheat pitas from scratch for the first time and was very pleased. Yummy and easy too!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#24 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
granola - I have had more luck with corn syrup than honey. honey always stays soft in granola. I don't use corn syrup any more but you may want to try some other sticky stuff and see what works.

I make my granola in a skillet and pour the sticky stuff in (oh brown sugar is good) while the pan is still really hot. then it gets crunchy as it cools.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#25 of 384 Old 07-01-2008, 11:55 PM

I'm slowly starting to make more and more food from scratch. DH and I made our first raisin bread a few weeks ago and it came out great! We found a wonderful website called theFreshLoaf with lots of instructions and pictures Our garden didn't work out so well this year (first real try) so we buy most supplies from the grocery store.

I hear that pizza dough is one of the easiest things to make so we'll try that next. Does anyone have a good recipie? We're going to try oatmeal cereal bars this week too. DS1 loves to help cook, we made lemon and chive potatoe salad today and he gets so excited to eat things that we make.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#26 of 384 Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM

Hi all! I cook mostly from scratch, but do have some convenience stuff on hand for when I am running behind schedule.

On the menu for this week is our adventure in homemade flour tortillas. : I found a good recipe and will post if anyone is interested! We eat a wrap almost everyday for lunch, so I have decided the store bought tortillas have to go.

Also ~ granola. I have been making granola for years becuase dh loves to take it to work for snacking. I do half honey/ half maple syrup for sweetner and safflower oil. Always clumps

Cant wait to read and learn more!

And am going to try out the bl bean refried bean recipe - thanks!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#27 of 384 Old 07-02-2008, 08:13 AM

Great idea!

I cook and bake mostly from scratch. I'll use canned products as an ingredient... not very often as an actual recipe component (I use canned tomato sauce to make my own homemade enchilada sauce). I buy our sandwich bread as we have great artisanal bread locally and I enjoy supporting local business. I make all the rest of our bread products from scratch. All of our meals are from scratch unless you consider using things like canned tomatoes and jarred sundried tomatoes taboo. I don't have the garden space to provide all the food for my family year round. I also make all of our grain dishes from scratch... rice, couscous, bulghur, etc. I make bean dishes from dried beans, although I keep canned beans in my extensive pantry and will use them occasionally if I haven't thought ahead far enough.

I don't make our own yogurt... my dh is from Turkey where yogurt is a major staple of the diet and I would spend most of my time making yogurt if I had to keep him flush in yogurt, not to mention dd. We go through more than a gallon of plain yogurt per week and I cook a lot with yogurt as an ingredient.

I have a nice garden, although this year will have no broccoli (darn rabbits!!) that sustains us during the summer/fall with enough to put up as well. I have 4 farmer's markets within a few miles of me, so we also get a lot of produce there.

I don't really make snacks because our snacks are almost exclusively fruit (fresh and dried), nuts, & dairy products . Fruit is probably my single greatest expenditure in my food budget. Definitely above meat (because we buy meat by the entire animal or side of animal). We do buy a bag of all-natural chips occasionally and we'll get granola bars every once in a while. Dd likes Annie's bunny crackers and we eat commercial cereal.

We have about a 1-year supply of foods in our pantry. 80% of that is commercially canned products this time of year and 20% is homemade. In 4 months, those numbers will be reversed. I have a dehydrator, my beautiful All-American 25 qt. canner, and two freezers that hold lots of frozen veggies and a side of beef and pig (although right now we have only about 40% of that left, as we get our meat in the fall).

I probably cook as much from scratch as I ever will. As it is, I spend an average of about 4 hours per day in the kitchen as it is. When canning season starts, it'll be 12 hours per day for a while. I absolutely LOVE cooking. My waistline shows it. I am not very talented in other things, but cooking is something that I have a knack for and is my creative outlet. Especially ethnic dishes. Turkish, Indian, Northern African, French, German, (not much Asian), Mediterranean... we love them all, including dd. I am going to enjoy this thread!
#28 of 384 Old 07-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Great idea!

I'm a grow and can it yourself type of girl. Every day I question the things I do and ask 'can I make this myself? Can I do this myself?'

I have a blog on scratch cooking at http://scratchcooking.wordpress.com Each recipe is made using bare basic ingredients (flour, milk, veggies, eggs, etc.) and if a recipe calls for soemthing that is not a bare basic ingredient a recipe for that not so bare and basic ingredient is/will be included.

It's a new work in progress, but so far seems to be helping people. I'm adding recipes from my master cookbook and that thing is huge by now so I'll have plenty to add over the coming however long :-)

This year my garden has over 30 tomato plants, over 3 or 4 rows of carrots, tons of peas, green beans, squash (acron, butternut, yellow and zucchini), pumpkins, watermelon, beets, onions, leeks, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, green pepper, jalepeno, herbs, corn, strawberries, cucumbers and I know i'm forgetting a lot. My goal is to #1 have enough fresh veggies for my kids to graze on till their hearts are content, enough for me to cook with fresh, enough to can or freeze (to last until next harvest, ideally), and enough for me to put out in front of my home for my community and have available as gifts over the holidays. We live in a very low income area and surprisingly I don't see any gardens... The Lord is putting a ministry on my heart for next year to help my community learn to garden, cook from scratch and become more self sufficient/save money. I don't know how that is going to form yet - still waiting on Him for the next step but i'm excited to see where it goes.

By this time next year I will hopefully be not so grocery store dependent. We are gathering supplies now for meat rabbits, will keep a couple hens for eggs, and when I garden I do it big so *hopefully* I'll only ever need things like milk, flour and basic pantry items that I can't do on my own. Ideally we'll go to the grocery store once every few months. Freeze a coupe months worth of milk, store a couple months worth of flour and other necessities. From what I hear it's a time consuming task to grow your own grains then prepare them for grinding then making flour so I think I can make better use of my garden space and just buy flour. We just moved, so I don't have anything left over from my garden last year (it was too small), wasn't able to put an early garden in this year for early produce, and had a lot of things to do around our new house so haven't had time, resources or money to get involved in raising our own meat... But by this time next year hopefully we'll be doing better, providing the weather is cooperative for a garden and whatnot!

Holy cow i'm rambling!
#29 of 384 Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yay!!! I am so glad to see so many here! :

I will try that bread book. I bought baggettes from the farmers market near our house yesterday so I should be good for a few days, but heck, I have this awesome stove so I should make my bread!!!!

Last night I had HOOTOWLS (husband out of town or working late) supper club. A bunch of us get together without the guys and have a potluck. The kids all eat and we all eat. DH is studying for an exam for a certification so he encouraged me to join. Anyhow, I put out some pasta and a defrosted piece of chicken in the fridge. He was very happy to make up a pasta dish with whatever assortment of fresh veggies etc we had in the fridge.

I do keep canned items on hand that are store bought-

bamboo shoots
water chestnuts
olives of all sorts
refried beans for in a pinch
tuna
assortments of pastas (dh loves to make the home made version though!)
tomato paste
pizza sauce

Does anyone have a recipe for tomato paste? I will have plenty of tomatoes in another month or so to play with so do share!

pizza sauce- I am all over the board with a good recipe. I have made several and bought several, usually whats on huge sale. We make pizza almost every Friday night. The dough is easy to make and my girls love making their own pizza. Funny the whole thing gets consumed by them.
I make a different one every week. You never know what it will have on it! My favorite the last month or so: sauce, dried figs, prussiotto ham, and blue cheese and top w mozzella. Yummm!

Granola, we get the wholesale Tierra Farms granola but I would love to make my own that tasty.

I also use yogurt for not only every morning at breakfast, but for salad dressings, cooking and dips. I have the yogurt maker but its little jars and they would be gone in no time! But I might try to start some just to see how much we use and how quickly...

#30 of 384 Old 07-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappiLeigh View Post
Does your homemade granola have clusters? I've been making my own lately, and although it's quite good, it doesn't chunk up like the store-bought stuff. And I admit, I kind of liked the clusters. I haven't experimented enough to see what I need to do to get clusters--I'm guessing more sticky stuff (maybe more honey?) and a lower, slower bake. Anyone know?
My granola is chunky. My "recipe" is a combination of recipes I've seen. It goes like this.

7 c. dry ingredients (mostly oatmeal, can use some what bran, nuts, seeds, cinnamon)
1 to 1 1/2 c. wet ingredients (half sugary, half oil, a bit of vanilla or other flavoring)

mix together. Spread on pan and put on 350 degree oven. Turn oven off and leave granola in overnight or for several hours without opening. You can add raisins after it cooks. I like this method because it is quite hard to burn it.

I usually use brown sugar/water mixture, maple syrup, or corn syrup for the sugary glue. My favorite flavor combinations are cinnamon raisin and almond (flavoring and nuts).

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page