How much do you spend for groceries each week? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you spend each week on groceries? (Food only)
$50 or less 40 10.05%
$50-$75 68 17.09%
$75-$100 92 23.12%
$100-$125 100 25.13%
$125-$150 40 10.05%
$150-$175 31 7.79%
$175 or more 27 6.78%
Voters: 398. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 90 Old 06-14-2002, 12:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bigcats, Where do you shop in SF area? My brother lives in SF and I'm sure he would love to find a store with cheap organic produce. Let me know!

-Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 90 Old 06-25-2002, 10:39 AM

I don't know how you mamas do it!

I live in Dallas, Texas, where I didn't *think* our groceries were more expensive, but...

We spend about $125 each week. That buys us our mostly organic produce (the bulk of the budget) - and this is for just me and my husband. Our two doggerinos eat the pulp that is left over after we juice our produce.

-10# of carrots
-2 heads of kale
-1 head of romaine
-1 thingie of gingerroot (every 2 weeks)
-a bag of lemons
-a bag of apples
-something new (this week was jicama)
-3 boxes of alfalfa sprouts
-1 head of celery
-5 bell peppers (budget busters!)
-bottle of flax seed oil (every two weeks, Whole Foods brand)
-2 bunches of bananas
-2 sweet potatoes
-occasionally something fancy like blueberries!! or cherries!! (rare)
-big size of plain organic yogurt (for veggie dips)
-1 dozen eggs
-polenta
-steel cut oats
-2 boxes of cereal (one granola, one bran)
-1 gallon of milk
-1 large tub of parmegiano-reggiano ($11/lb! I know, I know!!)
-5 different packets of whole wheat organic pasta
-14# of organic chicken necks for the doggerinos

That's pretty much it. Sometimes I also buy water for $2.29 a gallon when I don't bring back my containers for a $0.25 refill.

We really struggle to keep it under $125. We would like to eat meat sometimes, but right now, we can't afford it with all of the other stuff, and we view it as a luxury item anyway.

Jean (I wish I had some blueberries right now!!) Oh, and we don't eat out much -- maybe once a month or so. And that is when we are having a "date. "

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#63 of 90 Old 07-01-2002, 01:55 AM

We have 2 adults, and 5 blessings ages 14,9,6,4, and 2. Our monthly bulk co-op order runs $3-500. Then we shop at Wild Oats we spend over $600 for the month. Since it's an 1 1/2 hour drive, we go there once a month. So we go to Walmart for bread,organic milk if it's in, creamer and extra fresh produce if needed. I get as much organic as possible and agree with steph on the first page. It's preventative and good for the planet. Paid $300 something for a share of fresh produce weekly from an organic farm(while the season lasts in our Ohio area) but my share is for a family of 4 and we have 7 so except for salad and asparagus(which my hubby and I don't have have to share as we're the only ones who like it...the asparagus) it doesn't last long. Some of the items form the coop and Wild Oats is not food but the majority is. So as long as we can afford it, we are organic. My kids whine and we keep trying organic foods until we find one that they like as well as conventional. Have yet to find an organic bread they approve of. Guess i could figure out the bread machine and make my own? Have considered my own garden but the dang neighbors are always spraying their lawns.
#64 of 90 Old 07-04-2002, 04:08 AM
Banned

We never spend more than 200 every two weeks and this included diapers, toiletries and misc. items. Now that we use cloth diapers it should be less sincee we won't have diapers or wipes to buy.

Oh and we are a family of three. 2 adults, one child, and one dog.
#65 of 90 Old 07-24-2002, 03:16 AM

Holy Cow! I'm new to this forum first of all, so "HI". After reading what everyone spends on groceries I dragged my husband in here and made him worship my thriftiness! We are a family of four (momdad3yrold9yrold), and although husband and his 9 year old son are not veggie I do not purchase meat at home. (if they want it they can go elsewhere!) We eat a lot of homemade pasta, beans in the winter, salads and sandwiches in the summer, I buy most of my food in bulk and make most everything from scratch. We are very broke but not broke enough to get food stamps so I must keep our bill to under $20 a week. This is a lot easier without school lunches to wrory about - it is harder to keep packaged food purchases to a minimum when "all my FRIENDS get cheezy-crappo-chips in a pouch! You hate me!" comes around in September.
There's no way I can afford organics so I try to wash/peel fruits and veggies and change bean and grain soaking water twice for impurities. There are ways to do it, if you're willing to listen to a little whining.
"if you cook it, and they're hungry enough, they'll eat it"
#66 of 90 Old 07-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Banned

Wow Nernie! That is incredible!
#67 of 90 Old 07-31-2002, 08:09 PM

Food only we spend about $40/week for myself, DH, and 3 daughters (ages 7, 5.5 and 4) We only eat chicken as far as meat goes, and soon (the fall) my ILs will be giving us 20 chickens that they are growing. We can't afford to buy organic except for wheat & oats. They don't cost any more than the regular stuff. I make all of our bread so we buy a lot of wheat & oats!
#68 of 90 Old 08-01-2002, 03:16 PM

I thought I'd add that now that DP and I went vegan (cold tofu from a full animal product diet) that we spend slightly more on food in the grocery but we out at less. I still think we're at about $200 a month for 2 people.
#69 of 90 Old 08-02-2002, 02:26 PM

I am a mother to three 4, 2 and 2 mos. with a wife to an endless stomach (although it never shows arrggghhh!). We live in Colorado and since we are huge on produce esp. organic we spend $175 EASY!!! It is frustrating for us, the expense out here but we cannot stand to eat processed foods. There seem to be little options such as a co-op or CSA farm. Location, in my experience, has ALOT to do with what one will spend. My mother was out from Pa. in June to help with our new one and she was mortified each time she went shopping for me! Now that says alot to me about what we pay out here. Anyone from Colorado that knows of a good co-op on the front range? I would LOVE to find one! Namaste-Mtn.Mama
#70 of 90 Old 08-06-2002, 03:56 PM

I spend between $40 - $70 for a family of 4. There are tricks to shopping - first stores here in Vermont double your coupons - so that can save a bundle!! Plus we have a Price Chopper nearby that often has buy 1 get 2 free or buy 1 get 1 free. I save my coupons up for those sales and will use a "Save $1 on 2 items" for the buy 1 get 1 or 2 deals. They had a Buy 1 get one free on Rice - and I had 2 - 35 cent off coupons. One bag wasw $1.99 minus the 70 cents and the other was free but the store still lets me use the coupon on it - so it ended up giving me a 70 cent credit for the 2nd bag of rice.

We buy our meats on nights - usually that is the time that the meat manager goes through and takes all the meat that didn't sell for the day and marks it down by a few $'s. I recently bought a 5 lb package of ground beef that was originally $9 for $5 because they marked it down $4.

They also have a clearance bin in our store. They have a shelf full of Sweeties grapefruit juice (64 ozs.) for $1 each and Cora's Merlot & Mushroom pasta sauce was also $1 - the jars were dusty (still within the printed expiration date_ but I can wipe the dust off easily enough. So I got 6 jars of sauce for $6.
#71 of 90 Old 08-16-2002, 06:48 PM

We are two adults and anursing 15 month old baby...I shop pretty much ONLY at whole Foods and am always dumbfounded at my bill. Being a vegetarian and wanting the healthiest selection, this is the best store for me. I usually spend between $100-$150 a week and buy as much organic as possible. But for those of you who shop whole foods, you know how CRAZY expensive everything there is. Sometimes after I get home and put the groceries away, I ask myself what in the world did I even buy for that much money?????????:

But shopping at conventional stores now is just too mind blowing. All the mainstream junk everywhere. I don't even want to be tempted by that evil I have a very sweet tooth! LOL

Melanie
#72 of 90 Old 10-15-2002, 10:53 PM

$$$

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#73 of 90 Old 10-16-2002, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mtn. mama
[ ]We live in Colorado and since we are huge on produce esp. organic we spend $175 EASY!!! It is frustrating for us, the expense out here but we cannot stand to eat processed foods. There seem to be little options such as a co-op or CSA farm. ...Anyone from Colorado that knows of a good co-op on the front range? "

I do, I do!!!!!!

I live near ColoradoSprings. I am in a buying co-op. If you go to http://tcwfoodcoop.com/ they may be able to tell you of a club in your area, it might even be mine! Be advised, that as far as I know, most of the folks in my co-op are Christians. This shouldn't be a problem, as all we do is place our orders via e-mail and pick them up.=)

YOu can also go to all three of the natural foods places in the Springs and buy bulk for 10 percent off.

Parker has a co-op with a storefront. It should be in the book. They are also Christians, and if this is uncomfortable for you, it's likely to be more of a problem with the Parker co-op.

I am in a meat co-op run by a gal in Monument. We place our orders over the internet and go to her house once a month to pick them up. I buy boneless,skinless chicken breasts, chemical and hormone free, for 2.60 a pound.
Sometimes she offers organic produce- I am getting four cases of organic apples for 12.00 each.
Also Christians, but here, again, we just place orders and pick them up.

Other options in Colorado:
http://www.eatwild.com/colorado.htm
primarilymeat- one or two of the farms listed offer some other produce, honey, for example.

http://www.stewardshipcommunity.org/...tore/store.htm
This is a very interesting project,worth looking at. YOu can also do tours at designated times. They offer different things at different times of the year- milk, honey, bread, salad fixings, meat, eggs, etc. CSA

You can also look here:

http://www.realmilk.com/where2.html

I have read of a food-share program in Pueblo, but I don't remember any contact details.

Hope this is helpful to you! I just picked up my co-op order yesterday, and I don't know how we'd manage without being able to buy organic, old fashioned oats for .62 a pound; organic coffee beans for 5.00 a pound (on sale); or a package of organic, whole wheat tortillas for .74 a package.

They carry frozen produce, canned, and some fresh, too.

Kanga
#74 of 90 Old 10-18-2002, 02:04 PM

I am astonished at how much food prices vary from region to region... Our weekly food bill is about $50 USD/$70 Cdn and it feeds me, DH, and our 2 girls (3 and 5). Almost all of our produce is organic, bought from a web-order home-delivery service, we buy goat milk and cheese at the health food store, and meat I only buy on sale (grocery store). In the past we have bought a side of beef for the freezer, but now that I can get organic meat at Loblaws I sometimes buy that (along with the odd bit of on-sale non-organic meat). I cook from scratch always, and I'm trying to get back to making my own bread (usually the bread comes from the local bakery though). We almost never eat out for dinner (3X in 3 years). Oops - add another ~$5/week for lunch supplies (DH leaves that all at work).
Having travelled 'down south' to various parts of the US, I had always come home saying "food is pretty cheap here!" and you folks are convincing me of that more and more!

Cheers (and happy eating)
Kim in Chelsea, Quebec (near Ottawa)
#75 of 90 Old 01-14-2003, 01:15 AM

I voted 75 - 100. 2 adults and two kids.

Brenda
#76 of 90 Old 01-15-2003, 07:15 PM

I feed our family of five for less than $50 a week. There is a little shop in our town where we can buy homegrown eggs for 75 cents a dozen and free range meat. WE try to eat two meatless meals a week and I think that saves me a fortune We probably don't eat as much organic food as some but I do buy it when possible. I cook from scratch and we eat very well. Another hint make fresh juices. I bought an electric juicer and I save myself a fortune not having to buy organic juice. Especially if you can find marked down fruit that is fit for juicing.

I don't include the occasional bottle of wine in food costs though that is comes under other in the budget.

LOL My FIL calls whole foods "whole paycheck"

Stephany
#77 of 90 Old 01-24-2003, 08:00 PM

daylily, we have the same size family 2 adults and 4 kids and shop almost exclusively at whole foods. I use coupons that I get by hunting for the websites on the side of the products, also buy a lot in the summer of produce and use my deepfreeze. We spend about $200 a week on groceries. But I feed extra boys that are my 14 yr old sons friends regularly, they are empty pits so ??? on $$
#78 of 90 Old 01-26-2003, 12:59 AM

We spend $250 per week for everything. This is for three adults and five children, ages 13,9,7,4, & 2. Seventy five of that at least is for healthy non food items: seventh generation fragrance free dishsoap, dishwasher soap, magik botanicals fragrance free shampoo and conditioner, aubrey organics B5 design hairgel, bulk unscented lotion, echinachea, animal parade vitamins, homeopathic remedies, and triple roll toiletpaper. Also, if someone has a need, like dh needs work pants for $18, I have to extract that money somehow out of the food budget. I try not to have this happen, like getting money for extras by selling our used stuff on ebay. We don't use strong chemical cleaning products in our home (Bon ami for bathrooms, and water for just about everything else). We use unscented products whenever available.

So, roughly $150-175 in actual food items per week for eight. We scour all of the sale ads, and cook from scratch. We buy conventional produce, and shop at wal-mart where they price match. We made a price book from instructions that we got from a book on frugal living. We compared prices from everywhere on everything and had my dh do the math to figure out the best bargains. Each week we look for a way to make some small changes to improve our families health/diet. Thats what I enjoy the most from this forum, Ideas, Ideas, Ideas!!! My mom is out of town for five weeks, so we have one less to feed for a while and hense, more money...we used the extra to get our produce organic from wild oats for $20.00. I paid 99 cents a pound for organic bananas when I am used to paying 19 cents or 29 cents a lb on sale for conventional, 48 cents at walmart regular price. I splurged with total abandon on organic lettuce, apples, pears, carrots, and lemons. We buy conventional milk, and cheese, butter, and meat. I am going to look into co-ops and csa's, because the way I look at it is, it is alright to pay more for better quality food, as long as we can afford it. That will probably be our next little step. In the meantime, we are saving for the down payment on "our farm" so that we can grow our own. We want chickens, and goats, and the whole nine yards (or five acres, lol).
#79 of 90 Old 01-27-2003, 02:29 PM

We are a family of 4- not veggies, and we have tailored our food bill down this year from 150 per week to about 75 a week. I am really proud of us.

So how we did it, because it was puzzling to me, how we spent so much, my friends accused me of sprinkling gold dust on all our food, and we could rarely afford organic.

First I started making my own bread, pita and rolls, then I learned to make yogurt with a heating pad and I experimented with granola till I found the recipe everyone loved, I make that granola into bars as well for school lunch treats.

We joined the co-op and got a working membership that get us 20% off most stuff and 25% off bulk items, we go there first always with a list and a calculator and a budget in mind, I buy bread flour steel-cut oats, brown rice, dehydrated beans, WW pasta, coffee, sugar all organic in bulk about every 6 weeks.

During the growing season we get a CSA box of organic veggies once a week, we pick it up at a local tail-gate market and we have discretionary money that we spend there as well, on extra veggies and fruits and sometimes soap or baked goods as a treat. When out of growing season, I look for deals on organic veggies at the co-op but often we end up at Sam's club buying bulk salad mix, carrots, broccoli etc.

We don't go to Earth fare- our big local healthy grocery store, its' always over-priced and I always spend too much on stuff I don't need.

Lastly we got off the milk-train my kids were drinking 2 gallons of organic whole milk a week ($14) so we bought soy which they don't like, and then I found they like the calcium fortified OJ, and they love soy smoothies with frozen fruit, so they get a little OJ with breakfast and a smoothie after school. I also make sure we eat a lot of greens.

What else? Local scratch and dent clearing house gets a load of Horizon dairy stuff (still in date) on Tuesdays so we go there for cheese/ cream cheese they also often have seeds of change and near East convenience foods for $1 a box.

Oh and meat- big money sucker that it is! We eat meatless pretty often, and the meat we do buy we get hormone/ antibiotic free, then we treat it as a precious commodity using less of it, trying to highlight the taste, in stews and chilis I use TVP now because it tastes like chili anyway you know? eggs from a local farmer down the road, we pick them up for .50 a dozen. He also brings us corn and zucchini when his garden overflows.

This is really long, I know but one more thing, the crucial change I had to make in my head was about convenience, now I cook double and feeze, I use my slow cooker I plan my meals out a 2 weeks ahead, I don't make huge amounts that will moulder uneaten in the fridge. No fast food at all, I can use the 12 bucks to buy some fresh fish and make a really nice dinner. If we eat out we look for quality, not convenience.
#80 of 90 Old 03-26-2003, 02:31 AM

we spend about $75, just for food. maybe about $100, if toiletries are included, and about $25 a month on natural catfood. we shop organic at a co-op and recently signed up for CSA. the only things we do not get organic are milk, eggs, butter, and sometimes, cheese. sometimes we will get some things from the aisan grocery downstairs, and that's cheap. but not organic and probably GMO (EEW!). we save a lot of money on cleaning products by buying bulk and only using bronner's, vinegar, and baking soda - althoug recently we've started getting bulk eco-pac dish & laundry soap that's even cheaper per pound, which is how we buy it. we do not use paper towels. i'm trying to find ways of saing just a _little_ bit more, so we can get the dairy organic, too.

peace
#81 of 90 Old 03-26-2003, 10:55 AM

My dh gets payed every two weeks so I go grocery shopping then. In the beginning of the month I spend about $180 and the second grocery trip is about $150, so we spend about $330 a month. That is including toiletries and diapers and house stuff. We usually have to refill on fruit and bread that is an extra $10 a week. I am trying to simplify our budget but I will not got down on our grocery bill. I do think I need to exercise a little more self control when we go to the store in the middle of the week to pick up the some stuff we run out of, I tend to do my compulsive buying then.: I plan on only picking up milk and come out with an extra 20$ worth of groceries.
#82 of 90 Old 03-26-2003, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojomom
I do think I need to exercise a little more self control when we go to the store in the middle of the week to pick up the some stuff we run out of, I tend to do my compulsive buying then.: I plan on only picking up milk and come out with an extra 20$ worth of groceries.
I do the same thing!!! And the other bad part of it for me is the fact that the most convenient grocery store (the only one I have access to by foot) is the most expensive so the extra $20 I'll pick up could be bought for $12 at my usual store!
#83 of 90 Old 04-22-2003, 12:41 PM

We have 4 adults and 3 kids and spend about $175 a week on groceries. I use lots of coupns ( my grocery store doubles them!) and usually save about $75 a trip
#84 of 90 Old 04-26-2003, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kanga Mom
Eight of us are home eating three meals a day. We also have a lot of company, usually at least one other family eats at our table each week, sometimes more.
Kanga-that must be one heck of a table!
Like Darshani said, it is very impressive that you know how much each meal is per person. I'm almost afraid to figure this out.
We spend $70 or less per week for dh, me 3 year old and 14 month old. We use the "envelope system". When dh gets paid, we take out a certain amount for groceries, gas, going out, etc. and put it in a envelope. When it's gone, it gone. I have gotten really good at adding up everything before I go to pay. I would be so embarassed if I got up there and it was more than the $70 in my envelope!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#85 of 90 Old 05-04-2003, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Three teenage boys! +$200.00!

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#86 of 90 Old 05-04-2003, 03:38 AM

Despite sticking to basic staples and fresh foods, buying on sale and in bulk and using coupons, I still spend +$200.00 a week. Four children, three of them teenage boys and their buddies are expensive!
#87 of 90 Old 05-11-2003, 02:58 AM

I do 2 lots of shopping for me and bubby.

Once a fortnight i go to the supermarket down the road, and spend $90 on a fortnights worth of meat, pasta, and other essentials that i need at that time, and then on the other week (once a fortnight), i spend $70 at the farmers market in the southbank markets and buy a fortnights worth of fruit and vegies (mainly fruit eaters here though).
#88 of 90 Old 05-15-2003, 12:12 PM

I didn't vote. Honestly I don't know. I spend about $50 per week at the supermarket, but we also belong to a CSA (about $10 per week, we go to the farmer's market sometimes, my husband picks up missing items (pet peave and other stupid stuff), he also has a meat market that he really likes (not cheap, but definitely good quality). I bet my weekly grocery trip is half or less of the total.
#89 of 90 Old 05-20-2003, 06:00 PM

I spend about $100 a week at the grocery store and that includes things like toothpaste and shampoo. I don't buy a lot of organics because I feel like our grocery bill is already outrageous enough They want $6 for a gallon of organic milk and I get TWO for $3.25 on the regular stuff! This is for 2 adults and 2 toddlers. I'm sure our bill will go up as the kids get older. I am really trying to cut it down. I would like to spend $50 a week on groceries. I find that the less convienence food I buy, the less I spend, so I try to make things from scratch more. Also, we are meat eaters, and have to have meat at dinner most nights, so I have that price increase.
#90 of 90 Old 06-08-2003, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daylily
I hope y'all don't mind me being nosy. I'm just wondering if I'm super extravagent or average or what. There are 6 people in my household (2 adults and 4 children ages 3-9.5) and lately I've been spending about $130/week on food only. (Not including beer for dh.) This gets us organic produce, organic beans and grains, hormone free milk, free trade coffee and free trade tea, cheese, cold cereal, frozen bagels, peanut butter, jelly, cold cereal, some soy products and very few convenience foods. So this works out to roughly $22 per person, per week. Actually, that doesn't seem so much when I put it that way.

Anyway, anyone feel like sharing?
Ditto Ms. Daylily!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page