Mothering Forum banner

Gluten Free Tribe it is August

2K views 54 replies 22 participants last post by  ZanZansMommy 
#1 ·
Check in lets us know how you are doing!

#3 ·
I made delicious cookies the other day that I totally recommend. They can either be Quinoa Peanut-butter cookies, or Quinoa Tahini cookies for those with peanut allergies. The recipe is on the back of the Quinoa flakes box (I can copy if anyone wants) or an adapted version using Tahini is here. Next time I want to try them with the Tahini. My dp and dd loved them too, and they were really easy to make.
:

I also made gf play-doh yesterday that turned out great. Much better than the 'real' stuff, even. That was also far easier than I thought it would be.

#5 ·
I have pumpkin cupcakes waiting for frosting and some lemon thyme cookies ready to serve to playgroup today. I hope everyone else is in the same sugary mood as I am. It's a playgroup/dinner, so we also have quinoa salad, red cabbage slaw . . . deviled eggs. DH is making brats with peppers & onions.

Trying to decide if I need to make a decadent fruit dip, too.

#7 ·
The cookie recipe is in the latest issue of Living Without. If you don't have that one, let me know and I'll type it up and send it to you via PM.
: I think they could've been better. The recipe called for lemonade concentrate (the frozen kind). I bought organic (with no HFCS, either), but I think it would've been better with lemon juice and fresh zest and a bit of lemon oil. And I'm not sure the lemon glaze was necessary, but they're still good. Next year, I'll grow lemon thyme and try them with that.

The pumpkin cupcakes were a huge success. I just added a can of pumpkin to a box of Namaste spice cake mix. I skipped the oil/water, but kept the three eggs. They took a bit longer to bake because of the pumpkin. After the cooled, I frosted them with a chai spiced frosting (recipe also in the latest issue of Living Without). They are SO awesome.

And I made the fruit dip. It's just equal amounts of cream cheese and marshmallow fluff. It's not exactly food, but it's surprisingly good on apples and grapes. I can't believe I bought fluff, though. o_O

We hardly ever do the sugar thing. I don't know what came over me.

#8 ·
Hi! I am new here and we've been gf for a bit now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
I also made gf play-doh yesterday that turned out great. Much better than the 'real' stuff, even. That was also far easier than I thought it would be.

What do you use for coloring? I would like to use "natural" colorings, but for variety we have been using kool-aid.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalcurls View Post
Hi! I am new here and we've been gf for a bit now.

What do you use for coloring? I would like to use "natural" colorings, but for variety we have been using kool-aid.
Actually, I didn't have anything on-hand to colour it with, so I put in orange extract instead. Not for colour, but it made it smell really nice (I was quite sure my dd wouldn't be getting the idea to eat it, not that it would matter all that much).

That's a good question, though. Next time I make it, I definitely want to colour it.

#10 ·
Quote:

I made delicious cookies the other day that I totally recommend. They can either be Quinoa Peanut-butter cookies, or Quinoa Tahini cookies for those with peanut allergies. The recipe is on the back of the Quinoa flakes box (I can copy if anyone wants) or an adapted version using Tahini is here. Next time I want to try them with the Tahini. My dp and dd loved them too, and they were really easy to make.
:

I would like both recipes, for the cookies and play dough.

#12 ·
Ugh, has anyone else ever had a problem with chicken breasts that have injected solution? I didn't realize that the package I had grabbed of the Gold'n Plump brand was the "tender" one which I now find out means there's some kind of solution in it. I can't seem to find anything that says what the solution is or whether it contains any gluten, but I sure do FEEL glutened. My stomach hurts, has been rumbling like crazy and I've had to be in the bathroom like 5 times tonight.

The last time this happened was the last time we had chicken too and I blamed it on the refried beans because they had soy oil. Well, I've since figured out that soy oil doesn't bother me, so now I'm wondering if it was the chicken that time too????? I broke out in a nasty rash last time the day after I ate it so we'll see if the same thing happens this time, but there definitely must be something to that chicken. I remember thinking that the rash was very like DH too in that it was mirrored but I just couldn't figure out where I might have been glutened so just blamed it on the soy and/or the iodized salt dh used on the chicken. Well, this time it wasn't the salt I know for sure.

<sigh> I feel like crap right now.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lauriem33 View Post
Ugh, has anyone else ever had a problem with chicken breasts that have injected solution?
Raw meat is governed by the USDA, which has far stricter labelling requirements than the FDA. Gluten must be labeled if it's in the solution.

I can't have treated raw meats like that, but it has nothing to do with gluten. I have other allergies and issues. This might just be an additional problem for you.

#14 ·
There might be MSG in the solution.
I am sorry you feel crappy now.

I don't feel as bad as you, but I feel kind of crappy
. (Was that a bad joke?) There's something that doesn't sit right with me in Breyer's ice cream. I can't figure it out though. There's no corn syrup or gluten. I don't get it.

#15 ·
tayndrewsmama, how are you with lactose in general? Is it all ice cream or just Breyer's? I can't have ice cream at all or I get the stomachache, rumblings, and usually D. I think Breyer's is one of the best though in terms of being just natural ingredients.

Maybe you could try and take an enzyme with it and see how you do? We're trying that right now with dd who always has troubles with ice cream and/or dairy in general and it seems good so far. I myself have just given it up completely.

#16 ·
Quote:

tayndrewsmama, how are you with lactose in general? Is it all ice cream or just Breyer's? I can't have ice cream at all or I get the stomachache, rumblings, and usually D. I think Breyer's is one of the best though in terms of being just natural ingredients.

Maybe you could try and take an enzyme with it and see how you do? We're trying that right now with dd who always has troubles with ice cream and/or dairy in general and it seems good so far. I myself have just given it up completely.

It's been only the Breyer's. I looked into it more though. I checked the label again and saw that they add tara gum to it. After searching for that on Google, it produces a bunch of links regarding Breyer's and tara gum. It can cause digestive upset, gas and diarrhea. Like I need any more of that.

No more Breyer's I guess.

#17 ·
Quote:

Actually, I didn't have anything on-hand to colour it with, so I put in orange extract instead. Not for colour, but it made it smell really nice (I was quite sure my dd wouldn't be getting the idea to eat it, not that it would matter all that much).

That's a good question, though. Next time I make it, I definitely want to colour it.
That's a great idea. We will have to try that next. DS loves to smell things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys
Here's the recipe we use for the play dough.
2 c. white rice four, 1/2 c boiling water, 1/4 c salt, 1/4 c oil, 4 tsp cream of tartar, 2 tsp xanthan gum. Place all ingredients, except boiling water, in food processor. Slowly add boiling water until mixture forms a ball. Cool and knead for 10 min. on a floured surface.

#18 ·
Subscribing!!! We just found out dp has celiac (and I'm a vegetarian), so we are going gluten free!!! I got some of the "packaged" gluten free items at the co op yesterday so we can decide on what he likes. He enjoys the cookies we got, so that's nice (I don't have a lot of time to cook, but I suppose I'll have to work around that).

Someone told me we should just go to a whole foods diet for now and go from there.

#19 ·
ok so i have been gluten free for a few weeks.. and even though i haven't heard from the dr... the diet has helped greatly...although i did go from 7+ x a day of diarrhea to being on the opposite side of the spectrum and constipated.. i now feel for my poor patients at work..
so i have to add in fibre.. i bought fibresure so we shall see how that goes... it is nice not having to go to the bathroom after every meal and feeling bloated and nauseus..

i need easy simple quick recipes... any good sites and/or books?? and i mean real everyday food not fancy shmancy stuff..

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post
Sorry I didn't see this until now!
There are a bunch of recipes for gf playdoh on this page. I used the very first one, and it turned out great. Sooo easy.

Here is the cookie recipe:
Crispy Quinoa Cookies

1/2 cup Honey
1/3 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Margarine [I used Smart Balance]
1/2 cup Peanut Butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1 cup Rice Flour
3/4 cup Quinoa Flakes
1 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Salt (optional)
1/3 cup Nuts (optional, I did not use)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat honey, brown sugar, margarine, PB, and vanilla in medium bowl until creamy. Combine rice flour, quinoa flakes, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Add to mixture and beat until well blended. If desired add nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute before removing from cookie sheet. Yields about 3 dozen cookies.

I did try the similar recipe I posted earlier, using Tahini instead of Peanut Butter. It was good, but not as good as the PB ones. Pretty similar though, but the Tahini definitely makes it more oily.

#21 ·
I made my first gf bread today. It was pretty good. It didn't rise as much as I would have expected, but the texture ended up being fine. I put a lot of gf oats in it and some bob's red mill gf flour. I'm going to try less oats next time just to see.

Also for breakfast, I made some quinoa with apples, raisins, and cinnamon. It was delicious.

This is getting easier by the day, and I feel soooo great.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tricia80 View Post
ok so i have been gluten free for a few weeks.. and even though i haven't heard from the dr... the diet has helped greatly...although i did go from 7+ x a day of diarrhea to being on the opposite side of the spectrum and constipated.. i now feel for my poor patients at work..
so i have to add in fibre.. i bought fibresure so we shall see how that goes... it is nice not having to go to the bathroom after every meal and feeling bloated and nauseus..

i need easy simple quick recipes... any good sites and/or books?? and i mean real everyday food not fancy shmancy stuff..
I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so much better gluten-free!!

I'm afraid I'm not a lot of help in terms of recipes, since we're not only GF but also CF and grain free.

But, a lot of people seem to like the gluten-free girl blog. Her index of recipes is here. I don't know if they're too fancy shmancy for you, but I've heard they're good. I imagine some of them will be too much, but others might be what you're looking for. She has also written a book. She writes well, and I enjoy reading her blog.

I've heard good things about this recipe for sandwich wraps, too. And here's the whole grain version. This blog also has a recipe index.

I'll also tell you the very basic approach a friend of mine takes. She gets Pamela's baking mix in bulk (these three large bags, shipped to her automatically every three mos.), and uses it in "regular" recipes instead of the all-purpose flour called for. She said she's happier with how things turn out now than when she was trying to follow GF recipes. And she didn't like mixing small amounts of a lot of different flours. She uses a different mix for bread, but I don't remember which now.

When we did eat grains, I prefered to use whole grain flour whenever possible, so I didn't use a mix. I also didn't like mixing a lot of things together (and didn't like using a bunch of starch), so I usually used brown rice flour in my "regular" recipes. Since I was mostly making muffins, that worked out well. I also made pancakes that weren't bad. But my favorite flour for pancakes is buckwheat (not the toasted stuff, though). The taste and texture is almost indistinguishable from wheat pancakes.

Hope some of this is helpful.

#23 ·
Oh, and in case no one has told you yet, Tinkyada noodles are great.
In fact, they're the one grain food I eat (I'm the one in the family who can eat them, so I ocasionally have them as a snack).

#24 ·
thank you for your help.. its a learning experience... i am not taking naps as often so something is working...

unfortunately i cannot get Pamela's baking mix from amazon.. they won't ship to canada... i am gonna google and see what i can come up with..

also rice chex is now 100% gluten free but only available in the states.. time to go shopping... hehehe.. imagine declaring 10 boxes of cereal ...

#25 ·
Sorry, I was less help than I thought.
I had no idea you were in Canada, OR that Amazon wouldn't ship there. What do celiacs in Canada do? Maybe there are some Canadian sources for some of these things? I'm sure there are other places to get the mixes. I gave a link to Amazon because of the price and free shipping (and because that's where my friend gets it and I'm not very creative right now
).

#26 ·
Quote:

Ugh, has anyone else ever had a problem with chicken breasts that have injected solution? I didn't realize that the package I had grabbed of the Gold'n Plump brand was the "tender" one which I now find out means there's some kind of solution in it. I can't seem to find anything that says what the solution is or whether it contains any gluten, but I sure do FEEL glutened. My stomach hurts, has been rumbling like crazy and I've had to be in the bathroom like 5 times tonight.

The last time this happened was the last time we had chicken too and I blamed it on the refried beans because they had soy oil. Well, I've since figured out that soy oil doesn't bother me, so now I'm wondering if it was the chicken that time too????? I broke out in a nasty rash last time the day after I ate it so we'll see if the same thing happens this time, but there definitely must be something to that chicken. I remember thinking that the rash was very like DH too in that it was mirrored but I just couldn't figure out where I might have been glutened so just blamed it on the soy and/or the iodized salt dh used on the chicken. Well, this time it wasn't the salt I know for sure.

<sigh> I feel like crap right now.
this just happened to me!!! i was up at 2 am itching like Lady Mcbeth

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.