Lots of basil... what to do?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have tons of basil (the only thing that really produced much in my garden ). What can I do for dinner tonight? Pesto something? Got a good pesto recipe? What can I make with the pesto? Recipes please!!!

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#2 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 12:49 PM

yum, let me send you my address!

I love gnocci baked in pesto. One of my favorites. add a little mozzarella to the top...yummy.
#3 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 12:52 PM

Mmm...pesto! I put olive oil, basil, whole garlic, a few chunks of parm. cheese, and a few chunks of locatelli cheese, salt, pepper, and toasted pignoli nuts into the mini chopper and blend 'til it's pesto! Put it on everything lol

You can also make pizza margherita, which is delicious. Use slices of tomato, fresh mozz. and whole basil leaves. Soooo good
#4 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 12:54 PM

mmm basil, I can't seem to grow it but if I did I would can pesto and brusetta... I have heard you can freeze it and certainly you can dry it but it loses that lovely fresh flavour that we all love about fresh basil.

I love giving bundles of fresh herbs or vegetables to caregivers, teachers, neighbors, family and friends birthdays etc...
#5 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 01:10 PM

Pesto, pesto, pesto.. and it freezes really well for when you want that fresh taste of Summer in February! I freeze mine in ice cube trays, and then dump into freezer bags. Voila, quick dinner and sooo yummy. The best pesto recipe ever is from the early 1980's Victory Garden cookbook.

2 cloves garlic
1 tsp. salt
3 cups packed basil leaves
2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped (optional)
2 Tbsp. pine nuts
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Put all the ingredients, except cheese, in a processor, blend, pushing down with a rubber spatula until mixture is thoroughly pureed. Pour into small mixing bowl, and mix in the cheese. Makes about 1 cup.
#6 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM

I'll also send you my address.... I LOVE pesto, but can never get my basil plants to produce....
#7 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM

pesto sauce for pasta, pesto sauce on pizza, dry some for future use in soups/etc, toss them raw in salads or sandwiches to add flair, chop and add on top of fresh tomatoes drizzled wtih olive oil and sprinkled with salt...
#8 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas! Keep em coming! Dinner isn't until almost midnight tonight (dp works 2 jobs Fridays) so I have a few more hours to decide what to make....

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

#9 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM

My favorite basil recipe (aside from pesto which I just eyeball and throw in whatever ingredients for-- pecans or walnuts, etc.) is a sliced peach, basil and goat cheese caprese salad.

I layer slices of peaches on a plate, cover with whole basil leaves or thinly sliced basil, crumble goat cheese on top, and then drizzle with either a fruity vinegar (pear or pomegranate are my favorites) or a reduction of it, a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. I let it sit for the flavors to meld a bit, and then serve it. I have people call me for the recipe all the time. Oh! This also makes a great bruschetta!
#10 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 03:25 PM

My favorite pesto recipe is pesto tortellini.

1-2 slices of onion, diced
1/2 a green pepper or so, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, pressed
1-2 roma tomatoes, diced
3-4Tbs pesto
1/4 cup or so of parmesean or romano cheese
3-4 Tbs olive oil
3-4 Tbs basalmic vinegar
1lb of diced chicken optional
1 bag of frozen torellini

Boil water.

Heat a skillet with enough olive oil to coat the bottom and cook your onions and peppers till the onions are golden and the peppers soft. If you are using chicken, dump the onion and pepper on a plate and saute the chicken until golden. (I usually add the tortellini to the boiling water at this point). Add the tomato, garlic, and a couple Tbs of basalmic vineger (and pepper and onion if you're using chicken) to the pan and saute until the tomatos are reduced, usually 4-5 minutes. Strain the tortellini, and return the pot to the hot stove, and add a couple Tbs of olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add a couple Tbs of basalmic vinegar and it should reduce pretty quickly (about a minute). Add 3 Tbs of pesto the the oil and vinegar, then quickly dump the contents of the pan and the tortellini into the pot. Stir, add cheese, salt and pepper to taste, add more pesto and/or olive oil to coat if needed.

I like this recipe because it takes less than half an hour, it serves cold as well as it does hot, and there's always leftovers that everyone eats.
#11 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureMama3 View Post
pesto sauce on pizza

I just went a wonderful pizzaria called Dewey's (you can google for a menu). I'm trying to recreate their pesto sauce for dinner. It was hevenly.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#12 of 12 Old 08-08-2008, 05:56 PM

Pesto is also very nice schmeared on salmon, then baked.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page