Jam Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anybody have a healthy one? Boxes of geletin creeps me out, even though I am not veg/vegan. IDk what it is, exactly, but I try to avoid foods with geletin in it, if I can. Most recipes I have seen call for it, though.

Is "pectin" the same thing?

I have 20-some cups of fresh, wild blue berries that I want to make into jam or preserves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 01:42 PM

http://www.pickyourown.org/blueberryjam.htm No, pectin is not the same thing as geletin. I've not seen any recipies for jam or jelly that calls for geletin, that's strange to me.

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Here is my recipe for berry jam. It is for fresh jam, not for canning. It is pretty old-fashioned in that no pectin is used. I have only ever used it for strawberry and peach jam, but the recipe said that any berry could be used... maybe it will work for you.

Berry Jam

1 1/2 C berries
1/3 C sugar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice

In a heavy saucepan mix fruit, sugar, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring frequently. Reduce heat immediately to a simmer and cook uncovered until thick, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a jar and cool to room temperature before covering and storing in refrigerator. Y= 1 cup. Will keep about 1 week.

hth

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

Old 08-13-2008, 04:10 PM

Pectin and gelatin are not similiar. Pectin is naturally occuring (though so is gelatin) and found in fruit, and you can actually make your own pectin. I do! I use excess crabapples.

http://www.pickyourown.org/pectin.htm

Still, if you're not comfortable using pectin, there are certainly a number of old-fashioned recipes that don't call for it. I've found that I have an easier time getting those recipes to gel if I include some underripe fruit in the mix, as underripe fruit is naturally higher in pectin. Or, you could just live with slightly runnier jam.

Either way, if you're using fruit, there will be pectin in your jam.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:12 PM

I'm making jam without boxed pectin as we speak.

strawberry, cherry, rhubarb, ginger and sugar to taste. I'm just cooking it on the stove til it reduces and will store it as freezer jam.

Me:
Old 08-14-2008, 03:02 PM

what do you store the freezer jame in? ziplock or glass? and if glass do you sterilize first? i am really intimidated by the whole sterilization step most recipes call for.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arismama! View Post
what do you store the freezer jame in? ziplock or glass? and if glass do you sterilize first? i am really intimidated by the whole sterilization step most recipes call for.

They make freezer jam jars (plastic I think by Ball).

I use regular pint sized glass jars. I soak them in hot soapy water, and then run them through the dishwasher.

I place the lids and rings in boiling water on the stove and leave them there until after I've transferred the jam into the pint containers. I have a magnetic stick thingy that lifts the lids out so I don't have to touch them.

I let the jam cool on the counter top and then transfer the containers to the freezer.

Easy.

Me:
Old 08-14-2008, 03:19 PM

I just finished a batch of blueberry jam. We went berry picking the other day and i got tons! The recipe I used called for
6 cups blueberries
3 cups sugar
1/4 lemon juice

mix berries and sugar and cook on medium high for 35-45 minutes. when temp reaches 220 degree f, add lemon juice. cook for 2 more minutes.
turn off and ladel into clean steralized glas jars. I just 3 jars with my load of dishes cause it makes about 1 1/2 pints of jam . The recipe said you could substitute honey for teh sugar but i didnt' want to risk it and waste the berries. since the kids have devoured a huge amount of teh ones we picked adn they still want a pie.. so we need abunch for that.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=arismama!;11942420]what do you store the freezer jame in? ziplock or glass? and if glass do you sterilize first? i am really intimidated by the whole sterilization step most recipes call for.[/QUOT

I recently read that if you're going to process the jar for more than 15 minutes, its unecessary to sterilize the jar before hand. If you want to try though, just throw it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes.

User Tag List