Please Help With Frugal Recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2008, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family really wants to ease waaaay up on fast food...besides the fact that it is bad for us, we are very poor these days. The good thing is my dd enjoys things like broccoli and fruit so I don't have to fight with her about eating those things but I have very little money and am clueless about what to buy that is cheap but healthy...also, to make things better, our freezer is breaking so we can't buy a lot of frozen foods anymore. Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 01:22 PM

Two words ... HILLBILLY HOUSEWIFE!!

www.hillybillyhousewife.com

She's got great recipes, lots of cheap, easy cooking from scratch. I've only had one recipe of hers that I didn't like and I use gobs of them. She even has recipes that duplicate convenience foods.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:36 PM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-15-2008, 01:44 PM

You might check out the cooking from scratch threads here in F&F. Cooking from scratch... truly from scratch, not the Hillbilly Housewife "open a can of cream of X" and add hamburger" type of meals... can be very inexpensive and extremely healthy. The beans and rice thread has particularly great thrifty ideas.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:30 PM

What velo said.

Beans and lentils and rice are great ways to eat all different tasting foods.

A really good basic recipe is pizza dough. And then you can put just about anything you want on it, from sauce to toppings...bbq sauce (very easy to homemake), ranch dressing, traditional pizza sauce, garlic-butter, etc. Then whatever toppings are hanging around (leftover chicken, half a pepper, some onions, etc). Really, all you'd need to buy (assuming you have flour and yeast in the house) is some cheese.

Pasta is easy to make at home, if you stick to simple shapes like fettucini or egg noodles.

2 cups flour, 1 t salt, 3 eggs. Mix flour and salt, add eggs. Mix all together. Knead a bit. Divide into six pieces. Roll each piece out and cut to shape. Then you just need to cook it in boiling water 2-3 minutes. (You can 1/3 this recipe if you want).

As for fruit, scour (sp?) the neighborhood. I was suprised at how much fruit is in our little apartment complex (and we now have a few gallons of berries in our freezer for the winter). Apples are coming into season around here. You might be able to pick some somewhere in the area (or just come over to our apartment in a couple of weeks, when I think the apples will have turned ).

Our church's food pantry often has fresh fruits and veggies (and I've been dropping off things like brown rice and oatmeal and such), so, you may want to check around and see which ones in the area might have fresh produce (we're out in Greentree, so, I'm not sure how far that is for you...but there are bus stops everywhere around here if you're carless).
Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
You might check out the cooking from scratch threads here in F&F. Cooking from scratch... truly from scratch, not the Hillbilly Housewife "open a can of cream of X" and add hamburger" type of meals... can be very inexpensive and extremely healthy. The beans and rice thread has particularly great thrifty ideas.
I use many HBH recipes that don't call for cans of soup, etc. and are cooking from scratch. In fact, she tells you how to soak beans and things like that. I DON'T use cans of soup or hamburger for that matter. I will, however, use powdered milk (organic when I can get it) and dry potato flakes (since I can use them to make potato bread in the bread machine, I have them on hand to use in her Doodlebug recipe).

The HBH recipe I used last night call for kidney beans (soaked and cooked), rice, (precooked in my rice cooker), some shredded cheese, a couple of eggs, some dry mustard, and some Worchestshire sauce. It was quite yummy and very healthy and relatively inexpensive, even with organic eggs and cheese.

A couple of others I recommend ...

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/blackbeansoup2.htm

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/it...ansandrice.htm (a staple at our house)

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/cr...basilsauce.htm (another staple)

http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/lentilstew.htm (I LOVE this one. It's great with some homemade bread and a salad)

She also has a couple of other lentils and rice recipes that are similar to each other but using a different spice set and presentation, they mix things up a bit.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! And katheek77...where do ya live? I would gladly come for apples!
Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Banned

I like to make pizza at home. DH & I have not BOUGHT pizza for ourselves for over a year, since I found this quick and easy crust recipe:

1 cup hot tap water
2 tsp yeast (or 1 packet)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp oil (I like olive or canola oil)
4 cups flour (up to half can be whole wheat)

Mix yeast with water, add salt and oil. Mix well. Add in flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing well with each addition. When dough becomes too difficult to stir, turn out onto a floured surface and knead remaining flour into dough. Add additional flour as needed, until dough is no longer sticky. Knead 3-5 minutes or until dough is springy (bounces back when pulled on). Place dough ball into a greased (or oiled) bowl, turning over to coat. Cover and allow to rise 30-60 minutes.

Heat oven to 425F. Sprinkle pan (or baking stone) with cornmeal, if desired. Roll dough out onto cooking pan and top with your preference. Place in preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.

For pizza sauce, I simply use either a can of tomato sauce mixed with Italian seasoning mix and 1/2 can of water, or 1 cup of prepared spaghetti sauce. (When I make sauce, I freeze leftovers in 1 cup portions for pizza.)

Now - I know you are looking at this recipe and thinking, "Oh my gosh! It takes an HOUR AND A HALF!" but really, it only takes about 20 minutes of hands on time to mix, knead, and top the pizzas. The rest is waiting for the dough to rise, and for the pizza to bake. And I wind up with only 1 bowl, 1 mixing spoon, 1 baking stone, and 1 knife to wash. Instead of all the pots, pans, and serving dishes with a "traditional" dinner.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Worm View Post
Thanks guys! And katheek77...where do ya live? I would gladly come for apples!
PM sent.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:58 PM

My biggest suggestion is to keep things SIMPLE but HARDY. Tonight we ate a huge plate of rice with black beans, reduced fat cheddar cheese, and chopped up homegrown tomatoes on top. It was really cheap, mostly healthy, tasty, and since it was low in calories we were able to eat "mega-portions" if we wanted to. I find that the more I try to make RECIPES the more time I waste and the more money I spend. Many of our night's dinners consist of a basic meat (for instance baked chicken seasoned with whatever is on hand), brown rice, and veggies.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Dar

Moved from Frugality and Finances to Nutrition and Good Eating...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 12-01-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hope this helps AngelBee!
Old 12-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Honey Baked Lentils! Make a batch whenever you have a chance to bake them, then reheat in the microwave.

Pasta Salad with whatever fresh or frozen vegetables were on sale.

Kale is affordable year-round. Here are 14 ways to use it!

Use leftover fruit to make a dessert/snack.

Lemonade made from the recipe on the lemon-juice bottle is a very affordable beverage.

More ideas in The Earthling's Cookbook. Try making a giant batch of one or both burrito recipes when tortillas are on sale, then freezing them for later convenience.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

Old 12-05-2008, 06:00 PM

Soup. Potatoes are incredibly cheap for us so I make alot of potato soups. I usually add bacon or what meat I get off a ham bone (saved from ham dinners). You can get alot of different meals out of potatoes.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:20 PM

:

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM

Eggs are a relatively cheap, healthy source of protein. Scrambled eggs, fried egg sandwiches, eggs added to fried brown rice as a source of protein.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:21 AM

You've gotten plenty of helpful tips already. I would recommend cooking with pasta, beans, tofu, greens for a vegetable. Potatoes are really cheap. When I was really broke in college we used to make burritos with black beans and sauteed potatoes that were yummy! Oh yeah, and I second the vote for eggs. Inexpensive, very nutritious and delicious and versatile.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 AM

I found this site by looking for a way to make lasagna cheap
It looks like it might be worth a look and could be fun:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf58743390.tip.html

User Tag List