How long until the pepper burn subsides? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 08-16-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I carelessly cut up spicy peppers for salsa this afternoon, and under my thumbnail and forefinger are BURNING. How long until this goes away?

(and should I get out of diaper duty? I think that's a good precautionary plan.)

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
#2 of 8 Old 08-18-2008, 01:43 AM
hugs...I did this once while making dinner. I tried every internet trick I found on the internet and let me tell you they did NOT work! I got myself drunk and woke up the next morning, hands still feeling weird but not burning and hungover horribly!
#3 of 8 Old 08-18-2008, 01:47 AM
The first thing to do is dig your fingers into a dish of salt. Work the salt under your nails to absorb some of the oils, then wash your hand well. Then try washing your hands in milk. You'll have to really work to get the milk under your nails.

If that doesn't work, expect that they are going to burn for at least a day. Chalk it up to lesson learned, and next time use a spoon and a fork (or gloves).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 8 Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 AM
Milk will help. DH is mexican and he taught me this. The burn won't go away completely but it will help.
#5 of 8 Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM
DH, who had a fire penis last night from an adjustment after munching jalapeño peppers, says a cold shower helps.

Really, I say after icy water on it, it should go away soon.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#6 of 8 Old 08-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Milk for pepper it neutralizes the capasin. Water will only spread it around. I did this a few times I have tried several things but the milk right away cause if you wait too long the damage is already done so it doesn't seem to do anything but it does keep it from getting worse or spreading it to somewhere else.
#7 of 8 Old 08-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Whatever you do do not get "intimate" with your intimate parts.

Trust me on this one.
#8 of 8 Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 PM
One answer - Mustard!

Yellow hot dog mustard is the only thing I've been able to find to cut the burn. I don't eat hot dogs, but I do keep a big ol' bottle of mustard in the fridge (nice and cold) just for pepper burns. I pour mustard in a bowl (or two bowls - one for each hand.) Then I slip my hands in until the mustard completely covers the burn area. I leave them for at least 30 minutes. When time is up, don't rinse in water, but bulk off with a milk or vinegar wet towel. Keep the mustard bowls handy for a bit and re-bathe the hands when the burn comes back. My burns usually have subsided after the first soak.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page