Gluten Allergy Symptoms??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2008, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds just turned 8. I had him tested for IgG & IgE allergies about a year ago. He tested positive for IgE: eggs, fish and IgG: gluten. I cut out most of the gluten (we had already eliminated the eggs and fish), but I didn't see much of a change in his health. He seems to be on a cycle of getiing "sick" every 4-6 weeks. He starts with a runny nose for a day or two, that turns into a fever (around 102), rapid heart rate, shallow breathing, then comes the cough. The cough is the deep chest kind, sort of croupy sounding. After a few days of the cough, he seems fine again. Whenever he starts to show signs - the runny nose - we get very strict with the gluten.

My question is: does this sound like normal gluten allegy symptoms? A cycle? I just want to make sure that there isn't something I am missing. He had severe eczema as an infant. We did not treat it with drugs and it cleared before he turned one. I think he may have asthma...unless it is just induced by the gluten allergy.

Any ideas?
#2 of 6 Old 08-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Those aren't the gluten symptoms that we had, but you may want to go ask over in Allergies. Those sound atypical to me, but there have been some really, really odd things that have cleared up for some people after eliminating allergens, and gluten seems like an especially stealth one. The allergies - asthma thing seems pretty common, and gluten seems like it can exacerbate a lot of seemingly unrelated problems. We just bit the bullet and are completely gf and after we got past the learning curve, it's been pretty manageable (not fun, but worth it, yk?).
#3 of 6 Old 08-28-2008, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Are there any good GF mac & cheeses out there?
#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2008, 12:19 PM

It doesn't "sound" like a gluten intolerance. Keep a food journal though, and see if you notice anything right before each episode. Are you careful and get more and more lax until an episode, then go back to strict again. Then when he's better start getting more and more lax? It could possibly be the buildup of the allergen in his system, but I've never heard of a fever caused by a food intolerance. If anyone has a croupy cough that I know, eliminating dairy usually helps, because it cuts down on the mucous.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
#5 of 6 Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM

Can you tell more about what you consider to be gluten-free? Does he eat items with trace amounts or run on shared equipment? Do you continue to keep gluten in the house? Since you say 'get strict' I'd assume that he's still getting exposed. Has he been tested for IgA, how about a stool test for celiac? Genetic testing for celiac?

I'd try eliminating everything from the house and all trace exposures strictly for 12 weeks and see what happens.

While I have not personally experienced coughing, I do have a runny nose and fever after exposure. And gluten can induce asthma symptoms, which might explain the coughing.

KerryAnn @ CookingTF dot com - Nutrient dense foods your kids will LOVE!  Real Food Cooking School and Lactofermentation Classes now live! Use coupon code "CTF" for 20% off.

#6 of 6 Old 08-29-2008, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

He is positive IgE for fish and eggs only. We have not been strict with the GF thing up to this point, but we are now. We'll see how he does. Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page