pumpkin pie - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-02-2003, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone ever made a pumpkin pie from scratch, starting with a whole pumpkin? I would love to try but don't know what to do, or even where to start.:

Any Suggestions would be great!!!
#2 of 5 Old 11-02-2003, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used to when I was a kid, my dad and I even grew our own pumpkins, talk about homemade! Unfortunately I can't remember how we did it, but I know it was easy... we even froze the pumpkin when we had made it into pie filling to make pies with later... I'd love a good recipe too, I miss making it, and loooove pumpkin pie!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#3 of 5 Old 11-03-2003, 02:05 AM
Banned

Yes, but here's the trick: DO NOT USE PUMPKIN. Use buttercup, kabochka or butternut squash, instead. The flavor of pumpkin, even the small pie pumpkins, simply is not robust enough to produce a pie worth eating. I hear that the majority of canned "pumpkin" is actually butternut squash.

I don't actually have a recipe for pumpkin pie (I'd get a basic one from Joy of Cooking or look in one of our old Saveur or Food & Wine mags), but what you do with the squash is roast it. Heat your oven to 425F. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, butter a baking sheet in a circle/oval/whatever shape will fit the cut side of the squash and place the squash cut side down on the buttered pan. Then pop it in the oven for 45 min - 1 hour, or until it's tender and is carmelizing against the pan. Remove the halves from the oven, turn over, and let cool. Then scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mash it. Voila - there's your "pumpkin." Then proceed with the rest of the pie recipe.
#4 of 5 Old 11-03-2003, 10:15 AM

hmmmmmmmm actually we love the lightness of fresh pumpkin pie. Bake your pumpkin( some are better for cooking/baking than others), scoop out the flesh, mush it, mix your ingredients and bake....I personally like the one off the libby pumpkin can, but use heavy cream instead of evap milk and make fresh homemade whipping cream. I stumbled upon a better recipe though, it was on the pumpkin I bought last time. It came out soooo light it melted like butter in the mouth. I do like a richer flaver sometimes and will actually use a sweetdumpling squash (with little added sugar) and that is a yummmmy squash pie MMMMMMMMMMM actually sweetdumpling (sometimes called sugardumpling) is awsome on it's own or with a crumb topping (granolla/brown sugar/butter/spices). I can keep going on and on, MMMMMMMMM winter squash.

oh and my secret ingredient (besides the heavy cream, lol) is a heavy dash of coriander. (and I add a dash of the spices to my crust...either a crushed ginger snap cookie crust for a richer flavor -no added seasons, or a lovely "reg." crust (with lard ) for a lighter flavor)

another thing a few years ago I started adding pecans to the top when reducing the temp on the pie on occasion, very yummy, but can't do that now since ds is sensitive to tree nuts .

Ahhh tea the essence of life.
#5 of 5 Old 11-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Liz

But I'd bet we all have a bunch of pumpkin on our hands, right? I took all the "off cuts" peeled them and cut them in chunks, then covered with water and boiled until soft. My MIL mashes them with a potatoe masher, I purreed them with my handheld Braun thingie. I will just substitute for the canned pumpkin in my pie recipe.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page