angel food ministries?
#32 of 36 Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee View Post
:
Me too. My kids are both food sensitive and dp has crohns and our budget is $250 a month. I but my flour in 25 # sacks and make bread, we don't eat pasta, our chickens make our eggs, but cracked corn has almost doubled in price! I volunteer at a veggie farm in exchange for fresh organic veggies, considering getting one goat pregnant and milking her, but I am mentally disabled and can only handle so much and once we start milking her I *must* do it daily.

I'll second the lentils, I love them but hate most beans.
I buy everything I can in bulk. you can split with friends, or freeze some stuff. Save all your glass jars, you can heat up the lids and put stuff in them and reseal it sometimes, or at least use them to break down giant jugs of stuff and put it in the back of the fridge.

Heather, mama to Harriet, Crispin, in with Tom and 2
#33 of 36 Old 09-14-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TefferTWH View Post
angel food ministries?
That is a great idea.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#34 of 36 Old 09-17-2008, 01:04 PM

Ramen?

soup
spaghetti
cheese pizza (homemade crust, cheese, leftover spaghetti sauce)
pancakes or waffles
ham salad sandwich
mac & cheese

Do you like tortillas?
They aren't hard to make and you could use them to make wraps, quesadillas, tacos.

http://hillbillyhousewife.com/40dollarmenu.htm

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#35 of 36 Old 09-19-2008, 03:03 PM

I was thinking about this more as I made my meal plan and did grocery shopping. $25 a week per person is actually my regular grocery budget.

I try to make soup once a week. I try to have several days with meatless meals. Cutting up meat and putting it in something makes it go farther.

Here is stuff we have:
Tacos- I mix refried beans with cooked ground beef or chicken. It is very filling and makes it go farther.
Minestrone
homemade pizza
eggs, toast, bacon
tuna noodle casserole
chicken & rice
ravioli
spaghetti, salad, garlic bread
hamburger with mushroom gravy and rice or mashed potatoes
chicken noodle soup
pancakes
chili
grilled chicken and pasta
chicken strips, mashed potatoes, vegetable
ham, mashed potatoes, corn
fajitas
mac & cheese
BBQ chicken sandwich
Rice with lentils, salad
Dinner pockets

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#36 of 36 Old 09-25-2008, 03:57 AM

If you don't have a crockpot (slow-cooker) I would suggest one if you can afford it or borrowing one. My husband lived for a while on $90 a week and that included gas for his 1.5 ton chevy truck the trip to town and back once a week (50 miles round trip! although this was about 4 years ago too...) He did a lot of chowders, stews and soups and just kept them cooking on low until the pot was empty. I think he went through (a big guy doing lots of labor in the winter in snow!) 2-3 different pots of stuff a week and this is LOTS of labor in the COLD for a BIG guy.

I have faith in you!

Even now with a little more in our pockets we troll the Safeway discount meat section to get amazing cuts of meats (like ribs and steaks!) for up to half off that's there only because they can't display it anoymore not because it's gone bad.

Lots of Potatoes and Carrots and onions... cheap and they have a fair number of calories to add to the pot... so to speak.

wool.gifFarming mama to DD1 energy.gif(10/18/07), DD2 blahblah.gif(10/3/09) who are always fencing.gifbelly.gifdue 8.18.14 and wife to loving hubbytrekkie.gif (6/23/2007).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page