Oats, Oats, Oats - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-06-2008, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was just searching on oats and I am still confused. my questions are

#1 how are quick oats different from regular, less healthy? What?

#2 what's up with rolled oats? just a different texture?

#3 why does everyone soak them? is it for digestion purposes or to help them along with cooking?

#4 I am making granola bars and the recipe has been adapted (I like the newer version but they tend to crumble) the original called for quick oats would that make a difference as far as crumbling? Some other stuff was changed too but this is the only thing I am thinking I will change back to.

Thanks for any help.
#2 of 6 Old 09-06-2008, 08:05 PM

This is how I understand the oat world:

Instant oats - are oat grouts (oat with the hull removed) that have been cut fine, cooked and dehydrated (the most processed)

Quick oats - are grouts that have been cut before being steamed and rolled

Rolled oats - are whole grouts that have been steamed and rolled flat

Steel Cut oats (Scotch or Irish oats) - are grouts that have only been chopped (most brands remain raw)

Soaking oats decreases cooking time or makes them more readily to digest when consuming raw varieties.

The more processed the oats, the quicker they cook. The less processed, the more nutrition they have and the stickier/chewier they are when cooked.
#3 of 6 Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 PM

1. Well, I don't know if quick oats are that much different than rolled oats--but they are more processed, which is why they cook faster.

3. Soaking oats (and any grain, actually) in water with a little whey, releases phytates in the grain, which allows your body to absorb more of the nutrients in the grain, thus easing digestion.

Erin, Catholic mama to three sweet boys: Ambrose (11/06),  Peter (3/08), and Joseph (9/10) and a sweet girl, Charlotte (7/12/12).

Joyfully expecting #5 April 2014!
#4 of 6 Old 09-07-2008, 01:32 AM - Thread Starter

So where does a person get whey? What does it look like in the store...
Thanks!
PS I am thinking this recipe isn't cooperating well because of the combination of the decreased amt of corn syryp and maybe the amt of moisture the longer cooking oats require vs. the quick oats. Is there a sweetener that acts a lot like corn syrup (besides honey)?
#5 of 6 Old 09-07-2008, 01:49 AM

Whey is the liquid part that's left when milk seperates. I've never seen it in stores that way though. It's easy to make by straining yougurt through a fine cloth. The whey drains through (place strainer over a bowl to catch the whey) and your left with a thickened yogurt much like cream cheese.

I've had good luck substituting maple syrup for corn syrup, or I bet agave nector would also give a similar result.

Amanda, mama to Owen (11/05) and Connor (10/07) and Aria (12/09) Recycled Wool Longies and Reusable Baggies
#6 of 6 Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittleWarrior View Post

I've had good luck substituting maple syrup for corn syrup, or I bet agave nector would also give a similar result.
I haven't had good luck with maple syrup and baking -especially bars - they don't hold together well. Is agave nectar thicker?

Thanks for the tip on whey.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page