Organic vs. non-organic almonds - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-08-2008, 11:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I normally try to buy everything possible organic but lately I'm wondering how bad non-organic almonds really are. I need to make a large amount of nut butter (I will be soaking and drying the almonds before making them into nut butter) and the organic almonds are crazy expensive.

Any thoughts?

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#2 of 5 Old 09-08-2008, 11:44 PM

Vegetarian Times magazine just had an article entitled "How to Shop Organic". They said that many toxic pesticides and herbicides are used on almond trees, so if you eat them often you should buy organic. I know that organic is three times the price, but it sounds worth it.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#3 of 5 Old 09-09-2008, 12:07 AM

What about a co-op/bulk buy? Maybe Frontier or something? Costco might carry them organic if you have a membership...

Jen, L&D RN, CBE, CLEC who loves to knit.gif! I adore my modifiedartist.gifDP, treehugger.gifDD 10/98, & sweet new babygirl.gif5/10!!!
#4 of 5 Old 09-09-2008, 10:48 AM

Just a note: Almonds and other nuts are not "raw" unless they come from a farmer. A new law took effect in early 2008 which said that all nuts are now pasteurized if sold in stores.
#5 of 5 Old 09-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audsma View Post
Just a note: Almonds and other nuts are not "raw" unless they come from a farmer. A new law took effect in early 2008 which said that all nuts are now pasteurized if sold in stores.
actually a local co-op here in MN does sell raw, unpasturized almonds.
as far as organic/vs. non-organic sometimes with nuts i just cannot afford the organic. its literally the difference of 6-8$ a lb for conventional and up tp 14$ a lb for organic, and i am talking bulk from the co-op.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page