Help me make this recipe healthier - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-18-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No-Bake Oatmeal Cookies. I can't do wheat, so I've been searching for things that resemble baked goods. I've made these twice, and I eat two a day.

Quote:
No-Bake Oatmeal Cookies

2 c sugar
1/2 c coconut oil
3 T cocoa
1/2 rice milk
1/2 c sunflower seed butter
1 t vanilla
3 1/2 c oatmeal

Mix sugar, oil, cocoa and milk in a saucepan & bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute. Add rest of ingredients & stir. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool. Cookies keep best in the fridge.
I've already made several changes already, due to allergies (no butter, milk or peanutbutter). Primarily, it's the sugar I'm concerned about. Can I cut back? Use something that's slightly healthier? Anything I can add that would increase the health value?

Thanks!

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2008, 01:45 AM

I seriously would cut the sugar in half-I do this with all my baked goods because here is too darn much sugar in them. I make a no-bake that is similar and I immediately cut the sugar in half-and they still are sweet. Try that.

They sound good.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Old 09-18-2008, 04:09 AM

It would take some trial and error to get the right amounts, but I would probably use some raw honey instead of the sugar (I'd start with 1/2 c). Of course, you don't want to heat up the honey, but if you add it at the end, after the seed butter and before the oatmeal, that should work. That might necessitate reducing the milk a bit (1/4 c), but with all that CO, a little extra liquid isn't going to have the same impact as it would if you were using butter. I would probably try a straight substitution first... worst thing that'll happen is a gooey cookie, really.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 09-19-2008, 12:51 AM

If it does get a little gooey you could put a bit of wheat germ &/or ground flax seed into the batter. That recipe is making me hungry!:

Wife to DH(15 years)and Mama to: Jacob(5/02)kid.gifribbonpurple.gif, and Alina(7/07)energy.gifI luxlove.gifbellyhair.gif
Old 09-19-2008, 11:46 PM

I make regular no-bake cookies with 1/2 the sugar all the time and my family doesn't notice.

Also, here's a thread of healthy oatmeal cookies that you might like. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=954067 (including my family fav that has no sugar, no flour, no dairy)

User Tag List