Can you make jelly without sugar? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-23-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a bag of concord grapes, and I desperately need a recipe for jelly without sugar. I have heard that you need to add green apples but have no idea what to do. Please help before my grapes go bad (they are close to it!!)
#2 of 4 Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I have a bag of concord grapes, and I desperately need a recipe for jelly without sugar. I have heard that you need to add green apples but have no idea what to do. Please help before my grapes go bad (they are close to it!!)
I have not tried this recipe, but I found one that I was tempted to try. It is made with pectin, not sugar. If you do try it, I would love to know how it turns out for you.

http://www.pickyourown.org/grapejelly.htm
#3 of 4 Old 09-24-2008, 11:05 AM

By making it without sugar, do you mean to make it without any sweetening whatsoever, or just without white sugar? You can't do that with conventional pectin (it will never gel).

Find yourself a box of Pomona's Universal Pectin, I can get it at the HFS and some small independent grocery stores. It's the only pectin I've ever seen that does not require sugar. You can do fruit only, you can do honey, reduced sugar, or even artificial sweeteners with it. The instructions on how to do it are in the box.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 4 Old 09-24-2008, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

It Worked!!!!!!!!!

I used a few cups of concord grapes, and a few wild apples. The wild apples are small and green and have high amounts of pectin. I used 3 apples.
I threw everything in a pot, and added a little apple cider so the pot wasn't dry. Simmer till cooked, and run through a seive. All directions for jelly said to chill the juice oevr night, and restrain to remove the grape crystals. I did that, but it didn't really seem that different to me. Put it back into a pot, and added 3/4 cup maple syrup. I cooked it and allowed the steam to come off a bit to thivcken, and then poured in to jars. It has jelled, and is delicious!
No sugar or pectin (well only natural from the apples and grapes)!

I am going to make lots more now that it works!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page