Exciting Jam recipes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It is spring here & I need to make some jam for the kids school fair. I want to make something different out of what is in season or easily available. I have never made much jam before as I am not particularly keen on all that sugar in one place & we don't eat much bread as we are GF. My plan is to make approx 1 lb of each flavour a week till the fair so I have smaller amounts of different jams as a pose to stacks of the same thing. Anyone have any favourite jam recipes?

So far, I have tangelo marmalade, orange & ginger marmalade, tamarillo & cinnamon jam, banana jam, pineapple & apricot jam. Dh is sick at the moment but it is possible I will lose the tamarillo jam to him once he gets better.

I am thinking about kiwifruit jam & maybe some rhubarb jam if I can get my hands on enuf rhubarb before then. Also I may try for some noxious weed jam like banana passionfruit or darwin's barberry ( which I have made before ). Maybe some pear & something jam too. I did find a recipe for pumpkin jam laying around but I am not sure what it would be like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 12:05 PM

Kiwi jam is yummy!! That's a fave in our house.

For rhubarb I'd probably go for jelly rather than jam, since rhubarb can be stringy. I've never heard of pumpkin jam, but I have heard of pumpkin butter, which is yum.

Do you have access to guava or fejoa? Those would make yummy jams, too.

I'm jealous of your apricot pineapple, that's DH's fave, but the fruit for it is so expensive here.

Then you could always do more "standard" flavors with a twist. I've made cherry jam with rapadura sugar, so it has a lot of the molasses flavor. And I've also made strawberry jam with cardamom seeds in it.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 10-02-2008, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Feijoa season is well over unfortunately. It is only probably from the end of april to the end of june. We eat them all fresh way before they get a chance to be jammed. We live in a part of the country they don't grow in

I made the apricot & pinapple jam with a bag of dried apricots & a tin of pinnaple. I found the recipe here.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/recipes/...te=southeastsa

I made the tangelo marmalade with rapadura sugar.

I will look for a recipe for pumpkin butter
Old 10-02-2008, 08:41 PM

Apple pie jam!

Doing what I can to make better choices every day!
Old 10-02-2008, 08:51 PM

My favorite is spiced peach jam. It's not a jam but I always make a cranberry conserve type with spirits and a cinnamon stick inside.
Old 10-03-2008, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Yummy! Apple pie jam sounds so delish : I was thinking today about maybe making a tamarillo conserve of some kind maybe with red wine & spices instead of spirits or even rum if the red wine is off. But then tamarillo season is over & we only have a few kgs left if we are lucky so I am not sure I want to conserve them in anything as they are too nice fresh. Cranberries are not common at all here. I have seen proper cranberry plants for sale here. We also get something called a Chilean quava or a NZ cranberry which is really yummy but you have to grow your own & the season is kind of march/aprilish. They'd never make it to jam around here either.

I thought mint jelly today when I saw how big the mint plants in my garden are getting. I put a few different types in so I could grow my own herb teas in my quest to give up coffee. I'm still drinking coffee & the mint is taking over :
Old 10-04-2008, 01:27 AM

I don't know if you have mangos (or limes) in season right now, but this is a nice one. HTH

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7369.0

B.
Mama to : July '06
Old 10-04-2008, 06:50 PM

mango preserves
Old 10-06-2008, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

mango presrves or jam are a very yummy thought but we don't get mangos that grow in this country so they work out incredibly expensive. I am going to check out frozen blackcurrants at the organic vege store tomorrow as I am planning another cook up on wednesday.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:21 AM

My absolute favorite book on exciting jams is by Christine Ferber, she is a french woman from Alsace who is world famous for her confeitures. Look her up on Amazon, she does some amazing combinations! I have made Strawberry with mint and black pepper, Clementine marmalade, two kinds of Apricot with gewurtztraminer, Strawberry with spices and pinot noir, Pineapple with vanilla bean, mango and on and on. She is famous for her amazing combinations.
Old 10-07-2008, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

I had a look on Amazon but no look inside I have been going cross eyed reading so many recipes & making so much jam ( for me anyways ) that I think I could almost wing it with the jam name & work it out. It may not quite be the same but it probably would taste nice. On that vein, I am thinking kiwifruit & horopito, we ate all the tamarillos so they are out, I did see some clementine type mandarins today & thought of more marmalade. We went to the old settler's cemetry & I picked some roses for rosepetal jam & I have got some manuka flowers for manuka jelly. I thought even of manuka, rosemary & mint jelly to go on meats. Or I could do manuka & rimu jelly. Captn cook made spruce beer with manuka & rimu which is a really nice combination which is what gave me the idea. Anyways, dd is off horse riding tomorrow & when we get home I am going to have a jam cook up!

User Tag List