when to start feeding solids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 5 months old, and I'm wondering when should I start feeding him solids and what to feed him first? Is rice cereal okay with a little avocado?

I feel I should wait but also I think he's ready for eating.

thanks
#2 of 5 Old 10-02-2008, 03:22 PM

I think the current recommendation is at least 6 months. Why do you think he is ready now? Off the top of my head I don't know the readiness signs but that should be pretty easy to look up. Food during the first year is really mostly for experimentation and getting used to it, rather than nutrition.

Personally, I would skip the rice cereal, it is really just calories and no nutrition (other than hard-to-digest iron they add in). Avocado was DD's first food. I didn't start solids until almost 10 mos when DD was capable of self-feeding so never did any baby food at all. Worked great for us. Just breastfeeding is waaaaaay easier than dealing with baby food, so I wouldn't rush. Also, breastmilk is so chock full of nutrition.

You may get more answers in LWAB though, I recall there was a lot of talk about this sort of thing when I had a little baby.
#3 of 5 Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 PM

I waited until they were able to pick up small pieces (pincer grasp) and feed themselves. I started with bananas, then avacado, sweet potato.

I'm thinking that Mother Nature is smart, and when we can feed ourselves, we're meant to start solids. I do understand that desire to spoon feed the "first foods" (especially with your first! trust me, it goes away after subsequent children )

If *you're* really jonesing to do that, freeze some breastmilk into a slushy/soft ice cream form, and then spoon that. That helps with teething and is great if you have a baby that won't take a bottle and you need a bit more time away between feedings.

Also, with my first, I liked this chart I think some of his food recommendations are a bit dated, but it's a good reminder of developmental feeding stages, IMO.

Mama to DS (8) and DD (7) Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement.

#4 of 5 Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM

6 months is the earliest recommended age for starting solids I've seen. I agree with the PP on rice cereal. We actually followed the baby-led weaning method (like Blue State Mama), skipping all purees and spoon feeding and going straight to real, whole foods. We just cut fruits and veggies up into steak-fry type spears, and made sure they were soft enough. Bananas, avocados, squash, potatoes and really ripe pears were some of the first things she ate. We've really loved the whole experience of introducing her to food, and I believe it's helped her become a healthy and adventuresome eater. I posted about her first foods and BLW on our blog here and an update at one year here if you're interested in reading more about it.
#5 of 5 Old 10-02-2008, 07:13 PM

I think 6 months is a good age to start solids. Avocado I agree with, but I'd skip the rice cereal. WAPF has a good article called "Nourishing a Growing Baby" with tips on when and what to feed babies: http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeat...rish-baby.html

Traditional & nutrient-dense foods/Weston A. Price Foundation advocate, Reiki II practitioner, EFT practitioner, past life & life between lives Hypnotherapist practitioner. Home birth with DD 2007 = never vaccinated, breastfed 3 years

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page