I left my beans out overnight...? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2008, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I toss them in the compost or eat them? I'm really bummed, I just forgot to put them in the fridge last night. They sat out on the stove in an uncovered pot. WWYD?

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2008, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any animal products in them? I assume you mean cooked beans, right?

I play a little fast-and-loose with food safety guidelines, so you know where I'm coming from, but if they were cooked and without animal products, I may keep them (probably bring to a simmer before covering and putting in the frig) but if they had something like bacon (or any animal product), I'd cry and throw them out.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:29 PM

If they were cooked... I'd just stik'm in the fridge. I've done that multiple times. Just left'm in the crockpot over night without it on. We're still here
Old 11-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Another vote for eat 'em

Rainbow.gif ~ Molly
Old 11-15-2008, 05:48 PM

Um... I have often eaten stuff that was out all night. Or all day and all night. :

Last week I made Irish stew with beef for my boyfriend and he never put it away in the fridge. He ate some more of it the next day. And still did not put it away. So I put it in the fridge (couldn't stand it anymore, lol) and he ate the rest the next day

He does that all the time Actually, instead of putting his plate with leftovers in the fridge, he puts it in the OVEN. ??!! so he often eats leftovers that were never in the fridge.
As far as I know (I've know him 5 years and have often tried to curb his oven = fridge habit, to no avail), he's actually never gotten sick from that.

Otoh, I do personally like to put leftovers in the fridge, definitely (and I would never my dd something "questionable" of course).

Long story short: I think you can eat them :-)

Mommy to DD bouncy.gif born August 2008 

Old 11-15-2008, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't see how the presence of animal products could make them go bad any faster- if anyting IME starchy vegetable foods seem to go bad faster than animal foods (chicken broth with potatoes goes bad faster than plain chicken broth.) But beans are already a starchy vegetable food...

I'd probably put it in my fridge, but make sure to heat it through before eating it. It might be easier to boil it now and then refrigerate it "reboiled" so you don't forget to do so.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
Old 11-16-2008, 12:34 AM

I would it with or without anymal products. It can never get spoiled overnight (unless it is 80F in your house
Old 11-16-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I don't see how the presence of animal products could make them go bad any faster- if anyting IME starchy vegetable foods seem to go bad faster than animal foods (chicken broth with potatoes goes bad faster than plain chicken broth.) But beans are already a starchy vegetable food...
Exactly what I was thinking.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.

User Tag List