first foods - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-30-2001, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the interest of not supporting commercial baby food companies, keeping bills to a minimum, and feeding my daughter the best and freshest food possible, I am seeking suggestions and recipes for first foods. I have 1 or 2 months to collect your ideas before she starts trying solids. I hope this thread will generate enough responses to also be of service to future users.
#2 of 3 Old 11-30-2001, 03:10 PM

My advice is to start out simple. Begin with rice cereal, to get her into the swing of things. If you make your own just cook brown rice until very well done and puree in a blender with water, until creamy. Heat and serve.
For next addidtions I cooked carrots and pureed in blender. I stuck with each new food for a few weeks before introducing another new one, to be sure he didn't react to it.
After carrots, I added green beans, then sweet potatos, then winter squash, then avocados, then apple sauce, then stewed pears, then beets, then sweet peas, then lentils...
Now he's 10.5 months old (still mainly bf's) but loves to eat! He now eats rice cakes and unsalted rye crackers on his own and occassionally has a bit of rice milk. I don't give him any juices or dairy. I think next month I'll try making him oatmeal.
#3 of 3 Old 11-30-2001, 11:43 PM

I followed pretty much what bebe luna did. Super Baby Food is a good book for making your own food. I think the author is a germ freak and a bit nuts, but she has excellent tips on making and storing your own baby food. Also ideas on good stuff to start with. She also has good recipes for toddlers. She emphasizes organics.

I think there is also a baby food book with organic in the title. I've seen it in the one step ahead catalogue (www.onestepahead.com) I think there are 2-3 other books I've also heard about.

It really is very easy, much more so than I ever thought it would be. And I'm glad I did it. Ds now eats whatever we do at 19-months, and that's nice, and even easier so your time pureeing is short-lived.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page