Revamping family diet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-02-2001, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I'm ready to do this but don't really know how to start. Our family diet isn't too bad (me, my dh and 6month old son) - eat mainly organic, lots of fruits and veggies, mainly vegetarian but some fish and chicken, all free range . . .but I feel like we are eating way too much refined sugar. And I only end up cooking about 3-4 nights a week. The rest ends up being take out or something else less healthy. I'm really tempted to just throw out all the candy and all else that is in our kitchen right now and start over with more whole grains, dark greens, etc., and get serious about making the commitment full time. Has anyone else done this? Did you go cold turkey or slowly? Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2001, 06:03 AM

I bet this is different for all people and families. I have found that when I go cold turkey, eventually I can't help myself if I'm exposed to the stuff, and then I go out of control.

When I notice I'm eating too much junk, I have had the best luck being firm with myself but going gently and relatively slowly as well. It is true that the less junk you eat, after a certain point, the less junk you crave. It's getting to that point that is hard. I get withdrawl, I think.

Anyway, I once read a great little book called _If You Eat At the Fridge, Pull Up a Chair_. The author theorized that the best thing to do is keep a limited amount of the junk you like best in your purse at all times. If you get a craving, have a nibble, and then put it back, realizing that it's always there if you want it again. When I've done this, I've foud that at first I will "nibble" a chocolate bar and then some in less than an hour. Over time, though, over months of commitment and consistency (the junk must never run out LOL!), I am not likely to go for the junk often.

Other things I've found help:
*Having healthy snacks more accessible than junk. For instance, cook meals on the weekend, and then fill your freezer with these meals to block the ice cream sitting at the back of the freezer. Then, put some yogurt or some carrot sticks in the very front of the fridge.

*As I said above, if you can cook meals on the weekend and keep them ready in the fridge for the week (or cook meals every two-four weeks and freeze them), it does help. Getting in the habit is hard, but it cuts down the temptation to eat out (this is a big struggle of mine too).

*Someone on here once suggested I buy a salad spinner (which I still plan on doing as soon as I have the money) because it can keep salad very fresh in the fridge for a whole week. Then, when you're tempted to snack on junk, snack on the salad first.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
#3 of 5 Old 12-02-2001, 10:37 AM

I am a sugar free wannabe... I have a big sweet tooth that I am sometimes in control of and sometimes not. I read a book this summer called Sugar Blues, by...???? errg, I can't remember. It was written a while ago, but is still in print- paperback too so its pretty cheap. It is a bit slow at first, basically giving the history of sugar in the world, and then moving on to information about why its bad. Basically I think it is a lot of motivation to get off of sugar, but it also gives suggestions on how to do it. Starting with ice cream sweetened with honey before you go totally off ice cream, for example. And how to make pies, puddings and so on sugar free. I'd love to know how you do- as a "wannabe", living with a dh who has no interest in going sugar free!!!!

I remembered- Sugar Blues is by William Duffy (or Dufty)
#4 of 5 Old 12-03-2001, 12:00 AM

Hi all. We are on a very strict food elimination diet for ds to test for some food allergies. I'm doing it with him to see if it will help cure my own sweet tooth. Lo and behold, it's WORKING!!!!! I'm not dying for any sweets right now, and that's a miracle. Before this, it was nothing for me to polish off 2-3 bowls of ice cream a day (can't believe I just admitted that!)

Essentially, we are egg, dairy, wheat, corn, citrus, and soy free for about two weeks. After his symptoms stop, we will add each allergen back one at a time to see if we can see what's causing problems. I'm interested to see which one will make me start dying for sweets again. Probably carbs/wheat.

I think what's really helping is the added protein. Because he is grain free totally, there isn't much we can do in the carb category. Sweet potatos, regular potatos, buckwheat, quinoa. No rice, no bread, etc. So, it's mostly protein, fruits, and veges.

This is drastic, but it is necessary for him to see what's causing his constant ear infections/colds/runny nose, etc. I'm doing it with him just because I have to cook all this stuff, so I might as well, and it's helping me anyway.

I'd recommend Feeding the Whole Family and switching to a whole foods diet. That, at a minimum, will improve your health and probably help with sweet tooth!
#5 of 5 Old 12-05-2001, 01:43 AM

I love sweets but try to really limit them... what helps me is to eat plenty of protein. I have protein of some sort at every meal. Also, by not keeping sweets in the house, I eat much less of them.
For sugar alternatives try- dried fruit, fresh fruit, apple sauce, baked yams, spice tea with a bit of honey, a cup of vanilla yogurt, carrot juice, a smoothie made with fruit .
And do treat yourself every now and then w/ something a bit more decadent. Maybe hot chocolate, homemade pudding or banana bread or muffins. By the way- I say throw out the candy, take control today!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page