organic food - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-07-2001, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a limited food budget and would like to buy more organic but it is so expensive. I honestly would like to buy more, what are the best things to buy organic, what are the worst to buy converntional. I know this topic was discussed on the old boards, but I need my memory refreshed.

jtsmom
#2 of 4 Old 12-07-2001, 12:11 AM

I think it's very important to buy any soft skinned or porous fruits and vegetables organic. They absorb more pesticides and so are more harmful. This would include strawberries, grapes, lettuce, spinach, etc. I worry less about thicker skinned fruits or veggies that get peeled anyway.

I'm also big on organic dairy. We only drink organic milk and eat organic eggs. Same for yogurt. They even have organic butter but because I do not use as much I just buy regular.

Most important though is anything that you feed to your little ones. I try to always go organic for them.

~Jennifer

I also wanted to add that if you eat meat I would say that is high on the list of things to buy organic. Unfortunately for us it is hard to get organic meat in our supermarket. I just buy regular and we eat it very seldom. Only chicken once or twice a week.
#3 of 4 Old 12-07-2001, 02:34 AM

I read somewhere that the roots of a plant store alot of pesticides so you should always buy organic root vegetables like potatoes and carrots. I'm not sure that this is really true, but I try to do it.

I also read that non-organic strawberries and peaches test the highest for pesticides.
#4 of 4 Old 12-07-2001, 07:09 PM

Read "Eating Well for Optimum Health" by Dr. Andrew Weil.

All grains should be organic, and anything made with grains.(Flour, cereal, crackers, soy products)

Strawberries
Cantalope
Cucumbers
Spinich
Peaches
Apples

All dairy products

These are just a few- read the book for more info.

A little something I learned- don't buy the junk food and it will be easier to buy good, fresh, organic produce. Provided you can get it fresh in your area. I make my own snacks from scratch with whole grain organic flour, sugar, honey, etc. It is sometimes cheaper that buying the refined boxed junk!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page