eggs: healthy? unhealthy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-26-2001, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know many people don't eat eggs for moral reasons, but are they unhealthy? I've tried egg substitutes for baking, and haven't been pleased with the results. Also, I tend to get moody and binge on carbs if I don't have my eggs for breakfast.

I've been buying these brown eggs that say they are "hand gathered from natural grain fed free roaming nesting hens". But it doesn't say anywhere on the packaging that the birds aren't given hormones, etc. I've thought about contacting the distributer, but I don't know exactly what to ask. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-26-2001, 12:49 PM

My guess is if they're described like that, they're hormone free. You could also check with the store you buy them from. They may know. My HFS usually has a brochure from some of the milk, dairy and meat suppliers.

I like eggs too. I think that it's been proven they don't cause cholesterol now, which was the main concern with them at one time. They are a tad fattening, but overall, it's a good fat, and they're an excellent, cheap source of protein. I say, eat up!
#3 of 6 Old 11-30-2001, 03:54 PM

Eggs are a great food for Mommies. They have gotten a bad rap becasue of an abundance of high cholosterol and heart disease issues in American adults. Actually cholosterol problems are primarily hereditary. In fact if you dig deeper, the research about eggs being bad is actually not scientific and part of a diet craze culture that promotes starving and binging. Anyway, I'll get off my soap box. According to Dr. Dianna Schwarzbein the author of "The Schwarzbein Principle" and The Schwarzbein Principle cookbooks, you can eat eggs EVERY DAY as many as you want. (She has three a day at breakfast and is super healthy.) WE NEED PROTEIN and eggs happen to be a great source of it. I have two eggs most mornings. For babies, I think they advice waiting until ten months to introduce the yoke (cooked and mashed) and 1 year before introducing the entire egg. I'm gonna wait until my ds is 1 year for a direct infusion of eggs.

As for free range hormone free, horizon makes some that are all that. As for substitutions good luck, it is tough to get the right consistency and porportions for baking. There is a book by Hilary Dole Klein on the subject.
#4 of 6 Old 11-30-2001, 05:59 PM

I was told by someone that the original eggs are full of cholestrol reasearch was done on rabbits ( yuck! ), so really it's not valid at all for humans. I read somewhere else that eggs contain enuf lecithin to cause you to digest the cholestrol in them so if you poach or boil them ie don't cook them with fat that destroys the lecithin, they don't give you any cholestrol problems.

I don't know if any of these 2 facts are true..... but I s'pose moderation & a decent organic free range supply would be the key.
#5 of 6 Old 12-01-2001, 08:34 PM

I personally can't stand eggs. But I don't think they are so bad for you. I wouldn't feed them to a baby. They are high in cholesterol. At least the yolks are. I think that they also have some health benefits. Probably best if eaten in moderation. And organic, free range.
#6 of 6 Old 12-06-2001, 05:53 PM

Eggs are a great source of protein, I have heard it is almost totally digestable. Also I read that colesteral is a good thing for growing tots - It is essential for brain development and the nervous system. I think that is from one of Sears' books.

I always buy the free-range no hormone ones or get them at the farmers market.

Anyway, my dd loves them scrambled and it is a great lunch for her with some cheese and tomatos on top!

Robin

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page