Anyone in Trinidad and Tobago - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 02-16-2008, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or from there???

Wanting to talk to other moms from there

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#2 of 38 Old 03-03-2008, 04:32 PM

bless up! i am not myself a trini but i have been there several times, married a trini, had 2 children and am planning our first family trip "back home" in a few months. so while i cannot share much by way of being raised there, i can chat general trinidad love! are you in trinidad now? which part? when i went in the past before meeting my husband i was in st joseph, his whole family is in paramin, where i have never been but will be staying when we go. when we go my children will be meeting their great great grandmother (my mother in law's g-ma). its pretty exciting.

things i miss about trinidad:

doubles
doubles
doubles
corn soup
roti
buss up shut
pelau
palouri
you can tell i love the food, ent?
going to a nice reggae bashment (if my family is okay to stay with my kids i can actually go out for the first time in 5 years)
how everyone greets one another
the fabric stores!
friday night hearing the binghi chanting from bobo hill in st joseph
swimming in morang

when we go i will be making my first trip to tobago. do you know it well or have any recommendations? i hope to rent a small place and just stay on the beach for 4 or 5 days.

anyway, off to shovel my car out of 5 more inches of snow. sigh. hope to hear back from yeh, sis.

~revo
trinimommy likes this.
#3 of 38 Old 03-04-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm here, have lived here for a big part of my life. Good to see others here, I have been looking for Trinis on MDC for ages

nothing more to say I guess :
#4 of 38 Old 03-11-2008, 10:03 AM

not in T&T but in Brooklyn, married to a Trini, and just came back from Carnival a few weeks ago I spend a great deal of my time with friends and others from T&T.

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#5 of 38 Old 03-14-2008, 11:33 PM

Bloomingstar I am jealous you went to carnival.

I am so vex I missed it!

I am expecting in May...well it wasn't until carnival Friday that I sold my costume!!!! : Yes I am still vex!!!! LOL

I was born in Brooklyn from Trini parents and as they say I am Trini 2 de bone!!!!!!

revolucionaria you need to learn to cok all dem foods that you like...Naparima Girls cookbook is a good place to start!

Glad I found allyuh here..lets be sure to keep this thread going

Almost crunchy but sometimes soggy, homeschooling mommy of 2. biggrinbounce.gif

I work from home and love showing others how to do it too!

http://www.empoweredhomeschooler.com  computergeek2.gif

#6 of 38 Old 03-16-2008, 10:42 PM

revolucionaria you need to learn to cok all dem foods that you like...Naparima Girls cookbook is a good place to start!

i actually just found shadow beni at the asian corner store the other day, and where i live there are not a lot of caribbean people, so that was a big score! so i made a mean dal that was too spicy for my children. i tried sucking the sauce off the potatoes for my son but he couldnt take it.

trinimommy, i do cook with trini flair, i would say, but even following recipes or cooking (from what i can tell) exactly like my husband, nothing turns out quite right. it still tastes good, and all the people who havent tasted the real thing think it is excellent, but i know better... its the doubles and roti skin that i cant get right. but my mother in law usually just buys a bunch when she is home and brings them back to us. nothing like the real ting i'll check out that cookbook, though, thanks.
trinimommy likes this.
#7 of 38 Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM

yeah, doubles really are not too difficult. We tried recently and were surprised how well they turned out. (Naps cookbook )

And if you're looking at Tobago, there is a great website www.mytobago.info that reviews pretty much every hotel and guesthouse on the island. If you are looking for a nice, quiet few days Castara or Charlotteville are the way to go. If you want more society and a bit of nightlife, the southwest/Crown Point are better.

#8 of 38 Old 03-19-2008, 10:24 AM

The first time I went to Tobago I saw my MIL's Naparima Girls' Cookbook and I really wanted to run off with it! I should just order it online. My husband is an excellent cook. Charlotteville has one of the most beautiful beaches ever--Pirate's Bay. There's this looooong staircase down to the beach.

Carnival was great! It was my first Carnival in T&T. I am from New Orleans so I grew up with Mardi Gras and I have done the Brooklyn Carnival thing, and Miami Carnival but...NONE OF THAT COMPARES!!! I played Man-O-War in Island People and I had a time. My husband wants to band hop and try playing with Tribe next year--we'll see. We may not make it back until 2010 if I am not pregnant right now or in a month, and even then it's a crapshoot.

#9 of 38 Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
The first time I went to Tobago I saw my MIL's Naparima Girls' Cookbook and I really wanted to run off with it! I should just order it online. My husband is an excellent cook. Charlotteville has one of the most beautiful beaches ever--Pirate's Bay. There's this looooong staircase down to the beach.

Carnival was great! It was my first Carnival in T&T. I am from New Orleans so I grew up with Mardi Gras and I have done the Brooklyn Carnival thing, and Miami Carnival but...NONE OF THAT COMPARES!!! I played Man-O-War in Island People and I had a time. My husband wants to band hop and try playing with Tribe next year--we'll see. We may not make it back until 2010 if I am not pregnant right now or in a month, and even then it's a crapshoot.
Yes there is nothing on earth like Trini carnival.

I am a Tribe girl...I love it...my section this year was supposed to be Black Magic...I am still sad I had to part with my costume . I am already trying to organize somebody to watch my two so I could get in meh mas next year...I will be too sad if I miss it again.

That cookbook is de best thing ever...I luv it!! I got mine a few years back while in Trini...but you can definitely order it online also.

Revolucionaria...shouldn't be too hard to get the shaodw beni...it's also known as culantro and most veggie markets should have it...

I haven't gotten the roti thing down yet either...my grandmother is the best at it...doubles is a next thing I need to try my hand at...

I made some currants rolls a few months ago though and was absolutely amazed how well it came out...YUM!!!!

#10 of 38 Old 03-21-2008, 12:10 AM

Hey trinimommy, I was reading your blog...try this to convert youtube videos to mp3s http://www.flv2mp3.com/flv-to-mp3.html
(I already did the one in your post (as a test ) so if you are getting problems PM me your email address and I'll send you it)
trinimommy likes this.

#11 of 38 Old 05-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
Hey trinimommy, I was reading your blog...try this to convert youtube videos to mp3s http://www.flv2mp3.com/flv-to-mp3.html
(I already did the one in your post (as a test ) so if you are getting problems PM me your email address and I'll send you it)
Thank you so very much for this...greatly greatly appreciated...I had replyed this thanks previously but then mdc went down...anywho...I used this and converted a few riddim videos and made my CD...you don't know how much you are appreciated

Also, I would love if you mommies would join us over here http://www.phatjamzentertainment.com...php?board=18.0

Just another set of viewpoints...would love your contributions on some topics.

#12 of 38 Old 05-31-2008, 02:35 PM

glad you got it in time trinimommy

#13 of 38 Old 06-05-2008, 10:50 AM

Just saying hi, I am not trini, but my husband is from there (I am from the USVI). We are coming down there July 25 for a family reunion.
#14 of 38 Old 06-07-2008, 04:31 PM

Oh...If anyone from Trinidad can let me know of a nice cheap decent place to rent for time I am down there 25th July to 4th August let me know. Dh is thinking it maybe better to stay someplace else because we have a toddler now. Last time we stayed my his cousin. She is newly married now. He likes around Shagaunas area but I sure anywhere decent would do if we are relying on price.
#15 of 38 Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 PM

trinimommy did you get your costume organized for next year yet? I heard Tribe sold out pretty fast. I'm pregnant : so I won't be there for carnival again til 2010. I'm not even bothering to go out on the Parkway in Brooklyn this year either.

thought I'd try to revive this thread!
trinimommy likes this.

#16 of 38 Old 10-25-2008, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
trinimommy did you get your costume organized for next year yet? I heard Tribe sold out pretty fast. I'm pregnant : so I won't be there for carnival again til 2010. I'm not even bothering to go out on the Parkway in Brooklyn this year either.

thought I'd try to revive this thread!
Yes girl...I am registered in tribe!

Congrats on your new bundle. I missed 2k8 and had to sell my costume carnival Friday because of de belly (cries again). Took my munchkin and my princess to Miami carnival this year. I hope all works out for 2k9. Wines waist. :

#17 of 38 Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM

Hi I just joined this group. I am from Trinidad
#18 of 38 Old 10-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinimommy View Post
Yes girl...I am registered in tribe!

Congrats on your new bundle. I missed 2k8 and had to sell my costume carnival Friday because of de belly (cries again). Took my munchkin and my princess to Miami carnival this year. I hope all works out for 2k9. Wines waist. :
Thanks! I still have a couple months to go and of course a part of me is still quietly wondering how we can make it to T&T for 2k9 but I know that is madness

#19 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 PM

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#20 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
Hello!
MIL lives in Claxton Bay (1 hr from Port of Spain) and would like us to come and visit. We're excited but wondering about a few things, Our plan is to spend 1 week in Tobago and a few days at her ashram.

1. We haven't vaxxed our kids (2 mos ds, 3 yrs dd). How real are the threats of dengue, tb, diptheria, yellow fever, typhoid, etc? The 3 YO we would vax with anything necessary (was going to do hep a), but the 2 month old...not so much.

Thanks mamas!
wrt to vax:

there is no vax for dengue, it is a real threat, but by December the rainy season should be ending or over and the mosquito issue less. As long as you have mosquito nets to sleep under you should be ok. You will need to think about something where the baby can nap safe from mosquitoes in the day, if you are getting a play pen of any sort see if you can get a play yeard specific net up there still. Otherwise get you family here to buy a normal net to cover the playpen. Bring light long pants things for the toddler for evening time, to keep the mosquitoes off without making him (her?) feel too hot.

Depending on the area Claxton Bay might have a lot of mosquitoes. If there is dengue in the area at the time, your family will probably know.

Diptheria is on the routine vax list here, I have never heard of a case of it. TB is mainly found among people with HIV and is not a general population risk, it is not on the routine vax list. Yellow Fever is a minor risk if you are going into the forested areas in the south-east of the island (not likely unless you are doing scientific (or oil related) research ). It's reservoir species is the Howler Monkey, and you won't see them on Claxton Bay ).
I have never heard about typhoid here.

A 4 month old here would not have had the yellowfever shot yet.

So in summary, if you are comfortable with not vaxxing where you are, don't worry about it here

#21 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 08:45 PM

when I have time later I will address your other questions

#22 of 38 Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks Calidris!

#23 of 38 Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridgeart View Post
Hello!
2. Can you recommend anywhere in Tobago to stay? Ideally we'd like something with a kitchen, close to a beach/amenities, mellow and safe...

3. Any other advice for our family? We're going in mid-December.

Thanks mamas!
Tobago generally will have less mosquitoes that Trinidad (it's a drier island) some areas have sandflies, which are tiny biting bugs that come out in the early evening. They are very itchy, but don't transmit diseases like mosquitoes. This site is one of the most comprehensive about Tobago http://www.mytobago.info/
Crime issues are increasing in Tobago sadly, but in general a common sense approach is enough.

For what you are looking for Castara might be your best bet, it has a great mellow vibe, not too many tourists, friendly, on the beach. Less commercial than a lot of the rest of Tobago. Nice reasonable priced restaurant (as long as you like fresh fish ) Renting a car might be useful though as it is far from most things.

#24 of 38 Old 11-03-2008, 03:55 PM

Awesome-thanks. I spent hours last night checking out the islands, and Castara seemed like it would be a good fit, which you've said too-so I'll focus our energy there.
That mytobago website is great!

#25 of 38 Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM

Ladies...help me nah please!!!!!!!!

Okay so allyuh know I missed out on carnival this year to my big bellyitis. Well...I am registered to play in Tribe for 2k9 and my baby will only be about 9 months...sigh. So...do I take him and hope for a family member to watch him so I can play mas...organize for somebody home to watch him and be without it him for the time...orrrrrrr....I fraid to say it...miss out? ****cries****

#26 of 38 Old 12-07-2008, 05:18 PM

All depends how into it your family is. If they aren't going into town they might not mind a chance to bond with the baby, even on Carnival. Any doting grands around?

I guess sticking him in a wrap would sort defeat the purpose of a Tribe costume

#27 of 38 Old 12-07-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidris View Post
All depends how into it your family is. If they aren't going into town they might not mind a chance to bond with the baby, even on Carnival. Any doting grands around?

I guess sticking him in a wrap would sort defeat the purpose of a Tribe costume
Well I have a carnival family, yes. My father is the only doting grand around...I asked him what I should do since he is going (if he misses carnival the world will stop spinning!) he said maybe I need to go for Easter or something.

You read my mind with the wrap thing yes. I studying if to wrap him on me and wine down the road. I will get so much talk for that...I can just see it now. Same reason I sold my tribe costume this year at the last minute...I knew they would have been driving me nuts trying to play with my damn belly. Grrrrrrrrrr

#28 of 38 Old 12-10-2008, 06:18 PM

awww it'd be so sad for you to miss it two years running! I am already trying to plot who will be with the baby in 2010 while I am on the road. any aunts or cousins hanging around that you trust?

#29 of 38 Old 12-15-2008, 06:00 PM

I have so many fond memories of my stays in Trinidad & Tobago... doubles, buss up shut, pumpkin, spinach pakora in a roll... so many delicious foods. I loved the beaches. Maracas is magical. I stayed in people's homes--very hospital, lovely people.

Is there a way for me to attach photos here? Such happy times in T & T. Can people from the U.S. reside there for a year or two? I'd love to. Would the girls be able to attend the school?
#30 of 38 Old 12-30-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinimommy View Post
Ladies...help me nah please!!!!!!!!

Okay so allyuh know I missed out on carnival this year to my big bellyitis. Well...I am registered to play in Tribe for 2k9 and my baby will only be about 9 months...sigh. So...do I take him and hope for a family member to watch him so I can play mas...organize for somebody home to watch him and be without it him for the time...orrrrrrr....I fraid to say it...miss out? ****cries****
Woman stop this miss out talk! I have two lil cousins, 16 and 20 that looove babies as well as a household of old ppl (really old and figuratively old) that stay home throughout the festivities and that is where the lil princess shall be. They would be extremely happy for another baby and Miss Raven would have a playmate yaaayyyy! Couple months ago I was talking to my cuz and she was like "make sure and bring the baby eh, doh leave her, I'll babysit her for you to play yuh mas and go yuh fetes, just make sure and bring her"...hear me..."oh ok" ...as if that wasn't the plan all along LOL!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page