Now She Is Refusing Me - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I posted a few days ago that my 3 week old baby was pulling off after 10 or so minutes of nursing. Now she is just outright refusing to breastfeed. I don't know what to do. We have had so many trouble already and just when I thought that switching from side to side was working she has decided that that isn't any good either. Any advice or suggestions would be VERY welcome. Thanks so much in advance.

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 05:30 PM

is your DD crying when you try to feed, or just not latching?? does she seem in pain, or just distracted?? there are LOTS of reasons for nursing strikes-

OverActiveLetdown/OverSupply, a food intolerance, reflux, growth spurt/developmental issues, nipple confusion, and others...

My advice would be to list exactly what is going on during refusal to see if other mamas have experienced them, as well as contacting a local LLL leader or LC.

My DS had an ongoing 7 week "nursing strike" and we finally figured out he has reflux in addition to an OALD on my part.

Hugs mama! Hope you get this figured out soon!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 11-18-2008, 05:43 PM

Will she take a bottle, or is she refusing to eat altogether?

My dd1 started refusing feedings at about 5-6 weeks of age. At first it was just one or two feedings a day, by 8 weeks it was all of them, including bottles. It is absolutely the most frustrating experience I've ever had. She would scream and scream as soon as she saw my nipple. We were finally able to get her eating with reflux meds and me completely eliminating dairy from my diet (including hidden dairy). She was 5-6 months old before she grew out of it.

In the meantime, try latching her on while she's asleep. This was the only way I was able to get my dd to eat while she was going through this.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

She will barely open her mouth when it is time to feed. I can finally get her latched properly but then she pulls off right away. It seems to be ok at night for a bit but during the day she won't nurse. She will take a bottle but I really don't want to be giving her bottles all the time. She is also spitting up quite a bit lately out of her nose and mouth. She did this once when she was a few days old (out of her nose) but now it is almost every time she spits up. It has got me quite concerned. I am going to be seeing my LC on Thursday. I hope that helps us. I am just so frustrated

Jaclyn, Madly in with DH, Scott. Mama to Calli Elizabeth (23 months) & our new little man, Bode Keam (9 weeks).
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM

Bee21, I had the EXACT same experience with ds! (except it started at 4 weeks, and we didnt get meds till 11 weeks)

It sounds like it is most likely reflux. We finally started reflux meds last week and it has made w HUGE improvement!

Catie belly.gif- Happy wife to Aaron stillheart.gif(01.05), mama to Liambikenew.gif(08.08), and Ian jammin.gif (11.10)! homebirth.jpgnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif and joy.gif due Feb 2013 with blessing #3!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:39 AM

I had a similar experience, and it was so frustrating. At three months, my little one wouldn't nurse while awake. Wouldn't. I swaddled her, and would let her have a pacifier until she was nearly asleep, then switched the pacifier for my nipple. We had about 2 weeks of that. She'd nurse fine at night for most of that adventure. The good news is it passed. But it was very hard when we were in the thick of it.
Good luck

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
Old 11-19-2008, 03:10 AM

What is her feeding behaviour like when you can get her to nurse? Does she bob her head a lot while nursing? Does she fuss at the breast and pop off and on? Is she satisfied and content after a feed or is she agitated and fussy? Does she make chewing motions with her gums after a feed?

How about in general? Does she prefer being upright and on her tummy to being flat on her back?

Skin to skin contact can help. Try offering the breast when she's awake, alert and approaching hungry, but giving early feeding cues (starting to smack her lips, root, sucking on hands etc). Strip her to her diaper and take off your shirt and bra. Don't force the breast on her, but allow her to seek it out and take it. Make the breast as much her happy place as you can. Wear her skin to skin as much as you can as well. Some babies nurse better in a warm bath with Mom. Swaddling might help as well.

It could be so many things. I hope the LC is able to give you some answers. If you do have to supplement her, try cup or finger feeding instead of the bottle if you can. Good luck!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:01 AM

I have had some nursing trouble with my 3 week old daughter. She did the pulling off bit for the first week or so. With the help of a great LC, we figured out the way I was holding her was making it hard for her to latch. Also, she's a preemie, and was having trouble latching on because of her size, so we are using a shield for right now. I hope your appt helps you out- I'm sure that a complete nursing strike is very upsetting.

User Tag List