General Anesthesia Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having surgery at the end of the month. Doc said they could either do local or general anesthesia but he recommends general. Will either affect bm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 05:24 AM

Nope. You are fine. Most medications now are safe for breastfeeding. I had surgery for a hip fracture and the 'rule of thumb' is that if you can hold the baby you can nurse. Tell the anesthesiologist when you have the surgery that you are breastfeeding- just so they know.

Check out http://www.kellymom.com there is an article with links about surgery and breastfeeding. Good luck with your surgery!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:28 PM

I had general anesthesia when my twins were two months old. The doc told me that I should nurse them right before I went in for the procedure, and then recommended that I wait until I was fully awake and felt steady before nursing them again. He told me that the more conservative approach is to wait a few hours and pump and dump once before nursing again, but that this approach is probably being overly safe. Some docs will be even more conservative, and recommend twelve hours or more, but this is unnecessary.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 12-11-2008, 02:22 PM

I'm having an internal stitch removed tomorrow with a nerve block only (in my foot) and the surgery center absolutely WILL NOT do it if I'm breastfeeding. How crazy is that? My doc is okay with it though, so what they don't know won't hurt them, right? Apparently it's some sort of legal risk.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :
Old 12-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaJean13 View Post
I'm having an internal stitch removed tomorrow with a nerve block only (in my foot) and the surgery center absolutely WILL NOT do it if I'm breastfeeding. How crazy is that? My doc is okay with it though, so what they don't know won't hurt them, right? Apparently it's some sort of legal risk.
WOW! Talk about descrimination. I'm stunned
Old 12-11-2008, 03:07 PM

Did they give a reason to why they won't due to BFing? That is terrible
Old 12-11-2008, 07:59 PM

I guess it's a blanket rule at the surgery center. I guess in case you're going to be under general anesthesia? Which is still stupid as mom can pump & dump. My doc said its because they're worried about lawsuits in this day and age of everyone suing the pants off of everyone else.

Mama to BeaMax, born 8-3-08 :
: : : : :

User Tag List