What does it feel like when your milk lets down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is 3 months, and I just started to notice my let down roughly a month ago. Before that I don't recall feeling anything. Now, it feels like a burning sensation in (both) my nipples, and I'm wondering if this is normal or if it might be related to the mild yeast / thrush I'm still working to get rid of. I know it's let down because I leak on both sides when it happens. What does your let down feel like?
#2 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM

I feel a tingling sensation, but it comes from what feels like deep inside my breast, rather than just on the nipple. Also, I get a letdown sensation in both nipples, whether I pump or I am nursing. I used to leak from the breast I was no nursing on, but now that only happens ocassionally. HTTH!

Mama to Smith, born 7/13/2008
#3 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me it's like a tightening sensation deep in my breast down to my nipple. And, yeah, both breasts at once.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#4 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 PM

It's sort of a deep warmth and tingling sensation, but not at the nipple unless I'm leaking, which does tickle. And I usually feel it with a warming sort of...rush of emotions. If I hear someone elses baby cry at a store, I'll feel a rush of sympathy and the tingly let down all at once. And then afterwards, a heaviness in the breasts because they feel more...full.
#5 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 05:53 PM

Mine has always felt like "pins and needles" but not to that extreme and warm. My breasts also harden when it happens.

Can I just say how neat it is that all of us nursing moms experience something different when it comes to breastfeeding. I have always felt let down from day 1 until my son self weaned at 14.5 months old. The let down sensation never went away. And, now that I am nursing my daughter it is the same thing. But, I have freinds who have never felt let down. It's a wonder, isn't it?

Leah- wife to Chris : SAHM to Henry (03/06)and to Evelyn : (06/08). She is our heart attack survivor at 3.5 weeks and went on to have open heart surgery at 5 weeks for Coarctation of the Aorta.
#6 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM

my tummy on the other side gets wet and I hear loud swallows

if we're out I have no clue when I get a LD
#7 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 08:18 PM

My breasts get extremely hard and tight feeling and I get a mild pain/tightness in my nipples. I've always been very aware of it.
#8 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM

My breasts feel warm inside and then they feel fuller than before.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#9 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM

tingling and heat. I wouldn't say burning as I think of pain when I think of burning. I am aware of it. I wouldn't say it's even uncomfortable. Unusual sensation, yes, but not painful. And I had strong letdown with both my babies, complete with breast pads for 2 years with my first and a year with my second.
#10 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
my tummy on the other side gets wet and I hear loud swallows :
^ : ^

my mom would describe it as a tingling 'SURGE' of milk.

for me it just feels like my breast are inflating

Creative - Wife to heartbeat.gif mother to 4  biggrinbounce.gif bouncy.gif jog.gif3rdtri.gifhomebirth.jpgwinner.jpgfamilybed1.gifhomeschool.gif and always praying.gif. (Learning Grace and patience)

#11 of 28 Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM

I totally expected let-down to feel like a surge of love, so I was bitterly disappointed to find that for me it felt like truly painful pins and needles. That lasted from birth til about 6.5 months. Now I just feel a tight kind of drawing feeling in the non-nursing breast.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

#12 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 AM

I remember the first time I felt it and thought something was wrong with my shirt or bra or something--it felt like a bandage wrapped around my chest being squeezed gently.
#13 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onelittlesleep View Post
It's sort of a deep warmth and tingling sensation, but not at the nipple unless I'm leaking, which does tickle. And I usually feel it with a warming sort of...rush of emotions. If I hear someone elses baby cry at a store, I'll feel a rush of sympathy and the tingly let down all at once. And then afterwards, a heaviness in the breasts because they feel more...full.
Definite pins and needles for me, just on the border of being painful.

And interestingly, about 2 days before we BD'd and conceived, when I was absolutely NOT pregnant (we hadn't been intimate in about a year as we got ready for our wedding and I was so stressed about not fitting into my gown I wouldn't let him near me, LOL), I was at Target and heard a baby cry, and my breasts felt JUST like that. 40+ weeks later after I had DS and my milk started to come in and then I experienced the letdown feeling, it felt EXACTLY the same as that day.

I told my maid of honor who was with me at Target "omg that baby crying made me feel like milk just came in" and she scoffed at me since I'd never been pg and wasn't pg at the time. But it was exactly what it felt like. Spooky....
#14 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Its a prickly sensation. Not painful though.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years.
#15 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 01:18 AM

Like pins and needles, slightly painful and I don't really enjoy it. For a while I was worried I had an infection or something, but everything seems normal. I guess I just have an uncomfortable letdown.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#16 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 02:12 AM

Hmm I guess I am a bit of a weirdo. For the first few months, letdown felt like an intense pressure in both breasts that felt like there was a clamp around them for a few seconds. It eased up over time and now I don't really feel it anymore, I just kind of "know" when it happens.
#17 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarielena View Post
Hmm I guess I am a bit of a weirdo.
I'll join you in the weirdness department. I never felt the let-down at all with my first kid. I knew some women don't, so no big deal. Same thing with my second kid - that is until one day when he was 18 months old. All of a sudden, I started getting the "pins and needles" thing I'd read about. After all this time!? Freaked me right out.
#18 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your responses! As one PP said, it's so interesting that we all experience different things. What I feel is probably similar to the pins and needles variety, and so I'm not too concerned anymore that it's the thrush.
#19 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
I'll join you in the weirdness department. I never felt the let-down at all with my first kid.

Same here - I don't feel anything at all. Of course, my nipples cracked when DS was first born & it took about 4 weeks to heal on the left, 6 weeks on the right - and I continued to exclusively BF him all that time. The pain in my nipples was beyond excruciating 24/7, so, I probably wouldn't have noticed any sorta tingling sensation over the agony of the cracked nipples.

But even after the nipples healed & BFign was no longer painful. I still don't feel anything for "let down."
#20 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM

Feels like my ducts are stretching out after a long winter's nap.

If it's localized in the nipples, the first thing that reminds me of is thrush.

signature currently in transition
#21 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I definitely have thrush, just a mild case at this point which I continue to treat aggressively. Nursing is no longer painful. It will be interesting to see if the let-down feeling changes much when the thrush is really and truly gone.

Update - I just had a let down this moment (baby started crying!), and I'd say it's not totally localized in the nipples. The feeling goes farther back than that, but it's most pronounced in the nipples.
#22 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
For me it's a kind of tearing feeling deep in the breast (on both sides at the same time). It doesn't hurt, though -- it's an odd feeling, but I like it.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#23 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 04:15 PM

I can't feel anything. DD's gulping is my only clue.
#24 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
Feels like my ducts are stretching out after a long winter's nap.
Ah yes you've just reminded me of that feeling. Didn't much like that feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulamc View Post
Well, I definitely have thrush, just a mild case at this point which I continue to treat aggressively. Nursing is no longer painful. It will be interesting to see if the let-down feeling changes much when the thrush is really and truly gone.

Update - I just had a let down this moment (baby started crying!), and I'd say it's not totally localized in the nipples. The feeling goes farther back than that, but it's most pronounced in the nipples.
I had yeast (everywhere, even under my arms) and treated with gentian violet...went away from nipples first. But the letdown feeling stayed the same.

And yes it went way back, even, I'm remembering now, under my arms, and I found out b/c of that that milk ducts can be pretty spread out!
#25 of 28 Old 12-30-2008, 11:03 PM

For me it feels like a metal vice is squeezing my breasts with sharp pains that shoot down them. It's not fun.

mama to the Girls (15, 14, 13) and the Littles (5, 3) 
#26 of 28 Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Definitley a pins a needles type feeling.

But also, it almost feels like a labor contraction!! Not in my belly at all, but the same sensation of impending tightening. When in late labor, just before a contraction would start I could feel a very very mild tingling, and I knew in the next 20 or so seconds that a contraction would start, and it's just the same with the let-downs. It always reminds me of labor!
#27 of 28 Old 01-03-2009, 11:53 AM

feel slike tingling to me. My let-down sensation goes away once breastfeeding is well established, within a few weeks. I don't feel a letdown at all, but I can see it.
#28 of 28 Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 PM

I only feel a letdown if I am not around her on time for feeding. Haha, I will feel a warm sensation and tingling (not really unpleasant, almost like being tickled in a way)....and I'll tell DH "we've got 5 minutes until she cries!"

If I latch her on pre-emptively, I don't feel any sensation at all. But I get very very thirsty. Looked it up one time and it's associated w/ the release of oxytocin.

Mama to expecting Babe 2

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page