Is it ever NOT hard at the beginning? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an easy time nursing ds #2. I have to admit it was my mission, since BF was so hard with my ds #1, I was determined to know everything about breastfeeding the second time around. I read every book there was on the subject and I took a breastfeeding class. When ds entered into the world, we were ready to go! Nursing him was such a joy from the very beginning.
My two cents....read everything about BF, latching on and off, buy some lanisoh just in case and have a good BF counselor number on hand for questions.

Mom to three boys 7/7/00 fencing.gif 11/20/02 and 10/29/2011 luxlove.gif

Writing at: http://paisleymama.blogspot.com/ and other places! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
My 7 month old latched on at about 15 minutes old. I have had about 10 minutes of discomfort from sore nipples total in the entire experience. This is so easy that it seems bizarre to me that anyone would want to deal with the hassle of bottles.

That said: pumping *sucks*. It hurts and I don't get as much milk out. I've stopped bothering. I have a freezer stash that would get me through about a day and a half if I really really need it. It will be good for ~4 more months. I figure that's a good enough cover for us.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all SO much for the supportive replies! I hadn't thought about the fact that most ppl posting in this forum are having trouble and getting advice, so the "easy" ones aren't so verbal!

Anyway, I do think I have the right mindset (I WILL BF -- nothing else will do for my LO!), so will take your advice and go with the flow, have Lansinoh and a LC on hand, no bathing baby at first, no other nipples, etc. And am SO grateful to have this forum to come to, should problems arise.

THANK YOU ALL!!

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM

yay for your enthusiasm...

i will warn you BFing opens the hormone floodgates - even still i get upset if ds doesn't nurse well because of some silly thing. just know its hormones - that helped me a lot!!!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
Old 01-03-2009, 03:29 AM

It wasn't hard for me. The hardest part was waking him up to eat at first. Other than that, I've been really lucky and it has been a breeze. You don't usually hear the good stories only the bad ones, so stay confident. You can do it!

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
Old 01-03-2009, 05:49 AM

The most important thing is make sure your latch is good FROM THE START. Even that first day, don't settle for a mediocre latch. It may seem like the first days don't matter much, but they are crucial. Nothing can replace a good latch.

Avoid bottles, dummies and nipple shields as a pp suggested. Lanolin creme is good, but it's not necessary.

With my first, I think I settled for a mediocre latch and suffered a lot from it. This time, I made sure that dd's latch was perfect and never let her 'nipple suck' at all. I haven't had any sore nipples at all, though admittedly, I am still nursing my toddler so maybe they were 'tough' already, though I don't believe in 'toughening' the nipples. (Plus, nursing was agony through my whole pregnancy and my nipples were constantly sore, so maybe that didn't make much an impact after all.)

Nursing doesn't have to be painful at first, but for many it is. You can still persevere, even if it is hard at the start. Many people do keep feeding for years even after a rough start. Good luck! May your experience be painless and easy! And remember, good positioning and attachment is the key.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
yay for your enthusiasm...

i will warn you BFing opens the hormone floodgates - even still i get upset if ds doesn't nurse well because of some silly thing. just know its hormones - that helped me a lot!!!
: beware the hormones. Don't know if it was bfing or pp hormones but I cried at the drop of a hat for the first few weeks and wasn't entirely reasonable. The filter between my brain and mouth disappeared so several people were treated to the sarcastic thoughts I usually keep to myself. The night nurse who kept suggesting a bottle "to top her off", the ped's nurse who asked my how many oz dd was taking after being told 3 times dd was ebf. People like that got uncensored replies from me.

I think the best thing you can do is to become familiar with the normal course of BFing and know how some of the most common problems start so you can nip them in the bud. You're already well on your way there.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:07 PM

Are you planning on giving birth in a hospital setting? if you are, find out what kind of support the staff offers for breastfeeding moms. I had no clue it was going to be a problem, but my DD had a hard time latching for the first day or so and the staff wouldn't let me leave the hospital until she was breastfeeding correctly.
Also, I had a lot of pain for the first month or two but nothing too bad.
Also, be prepared for baby to want to nurse a *lot* more than "every 1-4" hours. I thought there was something terribly wrong with my daughter because once she got the hang of breastfeeding she pretty much cried any time she was off the nipple. Once my dr. assured me that it was ok I felt better, but I sure wish someone would have told me i was going to be nursing so darn much.
Oh, try nursing laying down. it helped me when I had an surplus of milk(doesn't come out too fast that way) and it allows you to rest while you nurse.
Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2009, 11:54 PM

Honestly, for me, it was physically easy. I have yet to have any nipple problems or infections. His latch was pretty good from the beginning. My sister helped me a little, but mostly, I was ok.

For me, I struggled emotionally a bit at first. I had read that breastfeeding was akin to an orgasmic experience, and it wasn't for me! I really cried every time I nursed at first-not from pain, but it was some sort of weird emotional/hormonal reaction. My sister (who nursed her two for two years) said, "just tell yourself you'll do it for 6 weeks-set a goal. It will help you get through the early tough times". I did that, and she was right. By the time I got to six weeks, the emotional stuff was gone, and I had the nursing thing figured out.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:16 AM

I had some minor latch issues in the beginning that left me with cracked, bleeding nipples, but my milk came in quickly and my dd was above her birth weight at 5 days old. It was smooth sailing from day 5 onward!
Old 01-04-2009, 03:50 AM

I have a dear friend who - IMHO - does everything wrong with breastfeeding, other than she does it She read a little pamphlet on nursing before her first birth (v. the tomes I read ), she gives formula supplements before her milk comes in, she schedules feedings basically from the beginning, she enjoys lots of free space between her and her babies from the beginning, she sees 1 yr as the maximum rather than minimum goal to shoot for... (And really, she is a great person, so please don't flame her - she's a loving mother who has read very different things than many of us have, and she has great kids and a great relationship with them.)

Anyway, my point is, if I had done any of what she routinely has done, my breastfeeding relationship with DD surely would not have survived. But my friend never had a SINGLE issue with nursing. Do I think this is cosmically unfair, since I did everything "right" and never achieved a full supply? Yeah, but that's off-topic The point is, lots of uninformed people have great nursing relationships, and I'm sure you're off to an even better start than most of them, b/c you're here, learning lots of great things!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 AM

I never had any issues. We played around with BFing the day DD was born and seemed to work it out between us, the next day my nipples were a bit sore, and that was it. Smooth sailing until a small bout of thrush. She had a preference for one side, but not that affected us.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:56 PM

In my experience it can depend on the baby! My first son didn't latch on correctly for 6.5 weeks and we had every problem in the books. My newborn son latched on immediately and has been nursing well since then. No problems aside from some nipple tenderness for the first few days.

With my first I was determined to make it work, no matter what. That attitude got me through, along with my mom's advice to take it one feeding at a time. I got through each nursing session hoping that maybe the next one would be better, and eventually it was. I also surrounded myself with support. My H was supportive, I went to LLL meetings and nursing mom groups, called friends who were successful nursing moms and ignored advice that didn't support what I wanted to achieve which was EBFing my baby.

Good luck!!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:00 PM

It's been easy for me... three times.

That said, if I had had ds first, before I knew quite as much as I did then, it would have been harder. He didn't want to latch on at first, but because I was at home and relaxed and knew I had milk (I had nursed through pregnancy and was tandem nursing), we just were patient. Dh actually fixed it around 24 hours postpartum, when he reminded me to try a different hold - one that dd1 had hated from the get-go, naturally.

But both of my dds latched on easily and we have had very few problems. With dd1, I had a couple of plugged ducts between 6 and 12 months, and one bout of mastitis at 18 months, all down to *me* doing too much.

I will say that dd2 was the fastest of the bunch - she fully latched on within 10 minutes of birth... she had a full nursing before she ever deigned to open her eyes.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
Old 01-04-2009, 02:08 PM

It wasn't hard for me at all. Ds latched on in the pool after he was born for a few minutes. After that he slept 12 hours and when we were home I was a bit unsure what I was doing. I just kept trying to latch him and eventually it worked. I kept waiting for it to be "sore" or "engorged" as I had read about that but it never happened! By day 3 I felt like a pro and could even feed ds whist walking around making tea for visitors!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:15 PM

I had/have a difficult time with both kids, but I do know many that havent had any problems at all.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 PM

DS latched on right away and had no problems until about 3 months in and my milk supply went south - meaning, barely pumping an ounce a day, had to start supplementing formula at the end of each nursing session.......DS did a wonderful job, mama - not so much. But, now, from joining MDC, I've certainly learned a ton more - ways to produce more milk and keep it constant. Good luck to you!!

User Tag List