How do you NIP? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2009, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post
I wear low-cut shirts and just whip it on out. That way my belly isn't showing. When my side/stomach are showing I get embarrassed, when it's my boob... I don't mind.
:

nak

love it. i just "whip it out" too. not a supermodest person though. in winter i wear Boob longsleve nursing shirts because it is super cold here!

Only time i ever wanted to cover up was in the 1st 8 weeks where i had a hard time nursing without removing my shirt. oh and when i was in northern MI this summer because i wasn't sure of my rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2009, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Kate View Post
How do I NIP? Let me count the ways:
In the mall and at the park,
In the sunshine and in the dark.
On a bus and on a plane
But never have been on a train.
In the store and on the floor
'til my back said, "no more!"
In T-shirts or in tanks
Baby seems to say, "Thanks!"
Never in the toilet because you know
Those germs don't have far to go.
If you don't like it, then don't peak
I'm not responsible if you freak.
Breastmilk is like no other
And only from me 'cause I'm his mother.
Someone reads a lot of Dr. Seuss.

I'm not shy. I'm a "just whip it out" kind of nurser.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

Old 01-09-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaPaz View Post
Alright, so its not about having the courage to do it, its about the logistics...
My husband and I like to walk around the mall because its freezing here in MN. Usually when my baby (4months old) wants to nurse I haul over to a department store with a nice bathroom with comfy chairs inside, however the mall is huge and its sometimes a long haul. I would like to be able to just sit on a bench and feed my baby, but I find it impossible to situate her and my clothes without everything hanging out for a minute or so...
So do you have a favorite nursing shirt or do you plan what you are wearing when you NIP? I just don't understand?!
It depends on where we are and what I'm wearing.

I have a very nice shirt from Motherhood Maternity that has side flaps and a front flap. So I can easily undo my bra while the front flap is over everything, then position DD and pull the flap up. Nothing exposed.

But that is the only shirt that works for me lol. So if I am wearing something else, I just use my nursing cover. I got it from Target...you know, the ones that hang around your neck?

Also, if I am in a public place like the mall or a grocery store, I just pop her on. But if I am in a more intimate place (think silence, a sit-down even, church, etc) I use my cover.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 PM

I wear nursing tanks or a tank I can put my breast over underneath a loose over-shirt (t-shirt, dressy top, another loose tank, cropped shirt, etc.) That works pretty well. On days when two layers are too hot I'll use a nursing cover I made like this: http://www.slurpburp.com/pages/aboutus.php It's nice because it doesn't cover the babe...but gives me the coverage I want.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I can't imagine lugging a blanket or cover everywhere all the time. Not to mention it's HOT here.

-Angela
I "lug" a receiving blanket with us wherever we go -- it comes in handy all the time! As an impromptu picnic blanket, as a sunshade, as a clean place to change DD's diaper, and yes, sometimes as a nursing cover when I feel like I need it.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM

When ds was born almost eleven years ago, I spent a lot of time in the mall in our town. I didn't have a car to use, and the mall was within walking distance, so to keep from going crazy at home all day every day, we became those dreaded mall walkers.

Our mall, at the time, had these large areas every so often with two looong benches set up facing each other (perpendicular to the way people walked through the mall). That was where we always nursed. I think my boobs must have been big enough that nursing under a t-shirt was no problem. Or, maybe I just hunched over. Not sure. I didn't use nursing bras or shirts, and I didn't use a blanket, but there was rarely any skin to be seen. Not that that stopped people from giving me dirty looks, of course (that town was not NIP-friendly).

I remember setting up the diaper bag beside his head so people passing on one side, at least, wouldn't know what I was doing (or maybe they did - who knows).

But, I think that, now, I'd be less inclined to hide what I was doing. I'd try not to show *too* much skin, but I think it would be good to have people recognize what was going on - whether they agreed or not.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:38 PM

"Nursing" tops always gave me a hard time (the bottom layer would ALWAYS come up with the top layer unless I used two hands, which...well, that's kind of hard! ), so I improvise my own: I wear tank tops with thin, adjustable spaghetti straps under whatever shirt or blouse I choose that day, lengthen the straps all the way to the loosest setting, and then when baby needs to nurse, I pull up my shirt/blouse, pull down the top of the tank and latch him on. No drafts on my tummy!!

I even do this in church, and, last week, I'd stayed behind when the service was over to let DS finish nursing and our pastor came up to see how I was doing with the baby: he didn't even know I was nursing him (I suppose he assumed I'd hadn't wanted to disturb SLEEPING baby) until DS popped off to see who came to say hello! (Luckily, I'd anticipated DS' curiosity, so I was ready with the ever handy burp cloth so as not to give Pastor a show!)
Old 01-09-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaPaz View Post
Alright, so its not about having the courage to do it, its about the logistics...
My husband and I like to walk around the mall because its freezing here in MN. Usually when my baby (4months old) wants to nurse I haul over to a department store with a nice bathroom with comfy chairs inside, however the mall is huge and its sometimes a long haul. I would like to be able to just sit on a bench and feed my baby, but I find it impossible to situate her and my clothes without everything hanging out for a minute or so...
So do you have a favorite nursing shirt or do you plan what you are wearing when you NIP? I just don't understand?!
I whip it out and let it hang. I've never given it a thought nor had any comment made to me. Perhaps a look, but who can resist looking at a nursing mom and babe? After awhile, it just takes seconds to latch (unlatching is even faster ) and zoop, I cover the ol' girl back up. I've never owned a nursing shirt, used a blanket, or "hidden".

Stacy - mom to Lily 5-20-06 , Angel, stillborn @ 25 wks 12-17-07 , and Cami 4-21-09.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:51 AM

I wear a super stretchy, spandexy cami under a regular shirt. I pull the outer shirt up, and the cami down under the breast. Then I reach in and unhook the nursing bra. Then I am able to nurse in the cradle position with no skin exposed. I have very large breasts and this system works very well for me.

''''

Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 AM

A twin mama here I whip out BOTH and yes, I'm like a sideshow, sometimes, but I like for people to see that BF-ing twins is not only possible, but can be fairly easy (depending on circumstances, of course). My twin skin shows, and all my girls have had the habit of pushing my shirt up even higher for me. I really don't care what people see. I don't want anyone to be uncomfortable, but hey, we need people to think it's normal, not something sexual.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 AM

I also wear a Target nursing tank. I just wear them every day under everything, that way I'm always prepared. I like to layer anyway. I basically do it like the pp who made the video (I'm sorry I already forgot your name! ) I just keep one hand on my shirt on the top of my breast and flip my shirt down when DS pops off. He's almost 13 months old, and as wiggly as he is, I think it's still pretty discrete!

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
Old 01-11-2009, 03:50 AM

When I am out with my husband, he is super helpful and will hold a blanket over me and baby until I can get situated. I am a bit "busty" and just not that graceful sometimes! Once I have baby latched correctly, he just situates the blanket around us and sits down. No big deal. Also, if we have a conversation during this, then no one seems to notice or stare. Whatever.

We have done this for our first two, mostly for his comfort level. When he isn't there, I just sit down and work it out as quickly as possible. I can't help it if someone thinks it's rude that my baby is hungry! I am nobody's sex object except for my dh!

For coverage, I bought a belly band, which is great because, although I prefer not to show my belly, in the winter, the draft is a killer!

Once you do it a few times, you can usually work out what makes you feel comfortable, and it stops being such a big deal. Feed the baby and move on. It shouldn't be such a big deal, but some people can't mind their own business and are critical. Just ignore them!

Good luck!
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM

She's in the sling or the Ergo, so I just latch her on and keep moving. The BFing shirts from Glamour Mom and Bravado make it easier, but there's no way I'd stop and sit down. If I couldn't nurse on the move, I'd never get anything done, since this baby is latched on so much!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 PM

When I'm wearing something that just won't work to bf without being half naked, or when there aren't benches free I'll walk into a store, grab something 'to try on' and head to the dressing room to bf- works great. Old Navy and Gap are great because there are benches in the dressing room for sure!

Otherwise I just do it and figure if someone sees a little side boob it isn't the end of the world. The more you do it the less uncomfortable it is. To be honest I think we think people are looking more than they really are.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

Old 01-11-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinklefae View Post
Generally I pop a boob out of the neckline of my t-shirt. I cross the leg that is on the same side as the boob over the other. This puts my lower leg in my lap with the foot on my other knee, and makes a temporary nursing pillow. I hold baby and support my arm on my knee.

If you are really concerned about logistics, practice in front of a mirror or supportive friend.
this is exactly what i do. i like to wear fitted, low cut tops so i just pull out my breast over the top of my shirt. my baby is 7 weeks old so when she needs to nurse i dont wait long, if i have to i sit crosslegged on the floor wherever we are.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 AM

I have six+ Target nursing tanks, I believe. Pre-pregnancy from the time I was 15 on I've worn a plain spaghetti strap tank every day under every outfit. I dunno why, I just have. So now I just wear a nursing tank under everything, pull up anything over the tank and pull down the flap and pop DS on. I tuck a prefold under his head into the elastic band on the tank once he's latched on b/c he's a messy eater LOL and pops off a lot and I spray like CRAZY so I can use it to catch extra/cover myself up if he unlatches for more than a few seconds.

In terms of where? Wherever I am . I tend to just pop the breast out and latch him on while standing and talking. He's in a won't-nurse-in-sling phase this week so I just hold him and kind of spin my body slowly to rock him while he's nursing which makes him very calm, sleepy, and milk drunk

If I want to sit I find a chair, bench, floor space by a wall, a curb, some grass, or just the floor wherever I am as long as it's not right in the middle of where people want to walk/drive.

We nurse like, everywhere though. I have a fat, hungry baby
Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 AM

we had DD in costa rice the land of NIP'ing- taught me that it doesnt matter if someone sees my nipple ... or the spraying milk of my STRONG letdown... dd likes to play, latch on/off look around. So i just bare it all, pull up or down my shirt and do it

now we are in Lithuania and the cold/extra clothes make it harder- i never ever see anyone nip here . in public i still just go for it but with groups of friends i often try and be low key- i know they feel strange... any way dd nurses better in quiet/dim/private now that she wants to look around. still i just go for it if shes hungry, i cleared out a cafe the other day... thats ok i like the quiet

User Tag List