weaning herself at 4 months-help! goat milk? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend's daughter seems to be weaning herself at almost 4 months old. Perhaps the milk isn't there, she's been a lazy eater... and so on. The mother's question is, what do I feed her? Is it ok to start with organic baby food in a jar? Or rice cereal? The doctors have been less than forthcoming with information or suggestions. I suggested goat milk in a bottle or mixed with formula. Does anyone have experience with goat milk or formula alternatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 10:52 PM

I would pump and feed her breastmilk from a bottle if she didn't want to nurse.
IMO 4 months is way too early for CLW.
Could something else be going on?
I'd pump and keep trying to nurse. Maybe it's just a nursing strike.
Either way milk from a human (pumped) should be a better match for her than milk pumped from a goat!
#3 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 11:23 PM

Babies do not self wean at that age.

Something else is going on.

Is she being supplemented with bottles? Other nursing problems?

-Angela
#4 of 13 Old 01-19-2009, 11:35 PM

I agree with the PP. 4 month old babies do not wean. They go into growth spurts which seem like they aren't getting enough, but they don't wean. They can be dehydrated to the point of lethargy, but they don't self wean.

AND if a baby isn't going to get breast milk, then infant formula IS what you should feed an infant. Not goats milk. It lack the required nutrients. While infant formula may not be optimal, it is the best option for non breastfed infants.

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
#5 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 10:06 AM

ITA with Alegna, babies don't self-wean at 4 months. Cereals and the milk of other mammals are not appropriate for human infant consumption. The only replacement for mother's milk is artificial human milk replacement, aka "formula." It could be many other things, including teething, growth spurt, food allergies, latch problems, nipple confusion, illness, and much more.

Can you describe what is happening that makes the mother feel like baby is "self-weaning?" A little more information would go a long way in getting more specific advice.
#6 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 12:47 PM

Pump! Pump! Pump! I agree with the posts above. Babies do not self wean that early. She can suppliment bottle feeding of breast milk with nursing. 4 months old is WAY to early to start introducing food of any kind or other types of milk besides formula I suppose.

Tell her to keep her head up. Some times the most frustrating part of being a parent is solving the unlimited amount of issues that will occur!
#7 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM

I would NOT do bottles. IME that is nearly always part of the problem. I would use an alternate feeding method like cup feeding, spoon feeding, syringe feeding or fingerfeeding. www.kellymom.com has info.

-Angela
#8 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM

That is nowhere close to child led weaning. I cringe every time a distant relative tells me her baby "self weaned" at 7 months old (yeah, coincidentally when she started CIO of course)... in other words, a nursing strike due to destruction of the mother-child bond. The youngest I've ever heard for anything that sounded even possibly like "self weaning" was over 2 years old.

There is something else going on, and no other food will be in any way appropriate, sorry. If she wants to wean the baby, at least do formula until the baby is 1 year.

What she should do is nurse as often as possible and get an actual lactation consultant.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#9 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM

If your friend isn't AP or solely dedicated to breastfeeding than I would suggest to her to do what she can to ensure that her child is still recieving the lifetime beneifts of breast milk. If, for her, that means pumping and using a bottle than by all means let her. I, personally, would try my best to not resort to giving up the breast and moving to strictly pumping or other forms of nutrition...but not everyone is like me and in the end all that matters is what is best for that child....and as far as I am concern breast milk is it!
#10 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to move this to the general breastfeeding. A four-month-old weaning is cause for concern.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 13 Old 01-20-2009, 09:19 PM

I have been supplementing my 4 month old with goats milk for a couple months now. It actually makes him less gassy than my milk. of course if she can pump, breast is best. but my baby is doing great on goats milk. they do suggest an iron supplement if you are feeding goats milk because it lacks. i simply mix in a little blackstrap molassas. it does the trick.
also check out http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/t032401.asp

2 Perfect  uc.jpg births!.    h20homebirth.gif.signcirc1.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIFhomeschool.gif
3 babes in heaven angel.gif, 3 boys on earth. Planning UC #3 !!! Jesus is my Lord praying.gif

#12 of 13 Old 01-21-2009, 06:16 AM

AJmommy - are you eating dairy? The reason I ask is because it may be the reason your baby is more gassy with your milk compared to the goats milk.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#13 of 13 Old 01-21-2009, 08:46 AM

From the Dr. Sears website:

Quote:
This formula has stood the test of time. One batch contains 715 calories and nineteen calories per ounce, which is essentially the same as cow's milk formulas. This is sufficient for an infant six to twelve months.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page