Could use help, advice, reassurance - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 46 Old 12-19-2003, 08:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
have only skimmed through this thread, so forgive if its been mentioned, some moms simply donmt respond well to pumping, but can hand express lots of milk! for some reason, the skin-on-skin does better for them than plastic-on-skin hth.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 12-19-2003, 08:33 PM

then how do you hand express well? I hurt myself when i even try and only get a few squirts which go everywhere!!

thanks
#33 of 46 Old 12-19-2003, 10:36 PM

http://www.medela.com/NewFiles/manualexpres.html

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#34 of 46 Old 12-20-2003, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't responded in awhile...trying to get the house in order for family visiting on Monday! Anyway, Hilary...where you live sounds like a dream!!! I wish we had places half a nice as you to walk around! We live in a nice neighborhood with very little traffic and a nice view of "little" mountains (nothing like what you are used to) , but definately no cows or pastures. I would love that! Plus...it is freezing cold and snowing where we live right now!

I have had better success pumping...I am trying out different sizes of flanges. They seem to be more comfortable, so I am conducting an experiment to see which I like best...thanks for the advice Jane!

As far as the fussiness goes...I do attribute it alot to gas. My dd seems to want to nurse, but she will unlatch herself very frequently in an awful way by pulling my nipple like it is taffy and wow does it ever hurt...but than she will pass gas! My nipples are sooooooooooo sore! Does the soreness ever go away? It is only really sore when she latches on and than it subsides during the nursing (unless she is just using me to comfort nurse and pulling like taffy...than it hurts the whole time.) I do not burp her during the night because we both fall asleep and I do not wake up until she wakes me to eat again. Is this a bad idea?
#35 of 46 Old 12-20-2003, 04:50 PM

xerxes, if your nipples are sore at this point, 4 weeks, or so? are you sure her latch is good? I forget if you said you saw a IBCLC or LLL Leader.

It could be thrush if you are sore this far along. She may be pulling and stretching if her mouth is sore, perhaps, too. Any redness, flakiness on your nipples?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...es.html#basics

Signs and Symptoms of thrush

In mother:

intense nipple or breast pain that occurs from birth, lasts throughout the feeding, or is not improved with better latch-on and positioning
sudden onset of nipple pain after a period of pain-free nursing
cracked nipples
nipples that are itchy and/or burning and that may appear pink or red, shiny, or flaky and/or have a rash and tiny blisters; nipples may also appear normal
shooting pains in the breast during or after a feeding if the yeast has invaded the milk ducts
nipple or breast pain with correct use of an automatic electric breastpump
a vaginal yeast infection

In baby:

diaper rash that does not respond to typical rash ointments (see this picture for one representation of a yeast diaper rash)
creamy white patches that cannot be wiped off on the inside of the mouth, along the inside of the gums, inside of the cheeks, roof of mouth, throat, or tongue
a shiny or "mother of pearl" look on the inside of the mouth
breast refusal, pulling off breast, or a reluctance to nurse due to mouth soreness
repeated clicking during nursing
excessive gassiness due to the yeast's invasion of the gut
#36 of 46 Old 12-21-2003, 01:12 AM

xerxes,

Have you been using any sort of Lanolin cream? Lansinoh or purlan are great! I owe my nursing relationship to lansinoh . If you have or suspect yeast, it's a bad idea and a good 'all purpose nipple cream, like Dr. Jack Newmans, is better (you need to get a pharmacist to make it up for you whereas Lansinoh can be bought OTC).

As for the burping thing...I think it's overrated really. The back patting didn't really seem to help my ds burp at all. I stopped interrupting feedings to do this early on, and he'd seem to burp immediately after unlatching or not at all until later, spontaneously. The back patting didn't really seem to make much of a difference. I'm sure it's great for some babes, but not mine. Bottom line, trust your instincts! They're usually right! Lifting ds up and down in a vertical movement (slowky and gently) seemed the best way to help my own ds burp.

Oh, and I had pain during ds's initial latch for about 5 weeks. It was fine once he was latched, but the process of getting him latched would make my toes curl!

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#37 of 46 Old 12-21-2003, 04:06 PM

Just FYI, Yakult is the same thing as Dannon's Actimel here in the US. It's a tasty yogurt-like drink in a cute little bottle. DS wrestles mine away from me now so he drinks one and I drink one. I eat kefir on my oatmeal or cereal instead of milk - Helios makes a nice organic brand. I get unsweetened even though the sweetened flavored ones are very tasty - they're also full of sugar.

I gotta save my sugar allowance for the xmas cookies I'm scarfing down. Diet? What diet?

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#38 of 46 Old 12-21-2003, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on considering yeast. I will keep my eye out for other symptoms. So far, the only symptom I have is sore nipples. Pumpkinhead, I understand the "toe curling" feeling...it is awful!

I will be going back to work in 3 to 5 weeks and I was wondering about bottlefeeding. I am pumping about 2 to 4 ounces a day and freezing it. All of the sources I have read state that we should use the fresh milk that I pump the day before for the next day. Why not just use the frozen milk to be sure it doesn't go bad and freeze the fresh milk?
#39 of 46 Old 12-21-2003, 05:37 PM

Because freezing your milk kills of some of its magical powers.

Date the milk you are freezing. You can use it during growth spurts or if/when your supply goes down in your crazy days of WOH. It is good for 6 mos in a freezer attached to the fridge, 12 mos in a deep freeze.

Just to be sure, refrigerate some of your milk now. Next day, smell it. If it smells off or cheesy, you may have an excess of lipase. This starts to predigest your milk's fat. It can make it smell and taste different. Some babies dont mind it, some do. If your baby minds it, you will need to scald your milk before freezing it.

Go get the book Nursing Mother Working Mother for tons of tips on juggling bfing, working, day care and everything else.
#40 of 46 Old 12-21-2003, 11:32 PM

xerxes,

I am quite a fair skinned woman and have been, *ahem* 'blessed' with rather small, short nipples. Jacob's latch was just fine, but I did suffer with nipple discomfort for a bit longer than one might expect. When you think about it, your nipples are getting a workout they're really not used to so it's natural to expect some initial discomfort. I mean, they're supposed to stretch to the back of babe's mouth right? Mine *were* the size of a pencil eraser for cryin' out loud (I know, 'discomfort' is a decievingly mild word )

After grilling a kindly nurse on nipple pain for a full 5 minutes, she looked at me and said "Dear, unless you have 'Sears Catalogue' nipples, they do tend to be a mite tender for a bit" . She was a sweetie! All the others kept drilling : There should be ABSOLUTELY no pain if the latch is good and so I thought there was something dreadfully wrong when I continued to be tender. (that said, you should not have cracked and bleeding nipples!!)

As I said, Lansinoh saved me big time! I noticed a difference w/ in a day. It's tasteless, odourless and safe for your babe to injest (i.e. you don't need to wipe it off before a feeding and your skin really absorbs it, so there isn't much left for them to get anyway).

Also, as I said earlier, if you suspect yeast, the Lanolin cream can be detrimental as yeast love it, but I don't think it would hurt to give it a try. You'll know right away if it makes things worse, and if it helps, then you probably don't have to worry about the yeasty beasties!!

I'm rootin' for ya Mama! It really does get better and then you'll wonder why EVERYONE doen't breast feed cuz it's so dang easy!

#41 of 46 Old 12-21-2003, 11:43 PM

P.S. DaryLL,

How long is fresh milk good in the fridge if you've got not lipase probs? Is it 5-8 days? I've read that, but it seems like too long.

If it does keep that long, you might not have to worry about having a *huge* freezer stash! Better safe than sorry, tho I guess!

#42 of 46 Old 12-22-2003, 09:02 AM

Yes, 8 days is correct. After all, how long have you ever kept a quart of cows milk in your fridge? then add in, your milk is super fresh and loaded with antibacterial properties.
#43 of 46 Old 12-22-2003, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

pumpkinhead,

I am also fair skinned...I am a red head, so to be expected! When I was in the hospital, all of the nurses kept saying to me that I would have nipples that were more sore than most women because of my fair skin. I guess I shouldn't be worried at this point. I am currently using lansinoh, but no consistently. I will start to use it more often. I am just using it in the am after my shower and before bedtime. Also, I believe dd latch is good. She is quite the little eater! She loves to eat! She was only 5 pounds 10 1/2 ounces at birth, so I figure she has some catching up to do! And fortunately, I have never had a problem with cracked or bleeding nipples. She did give me a "hickey" on my breast once, but that was while we were still in the hospital learning to bf!
#44 of 46 Old 12-22-2003, 11:32 AM

I think if it only hurts during the initial latch on, but not while nursing, you are doing ok. I hurt during the initial latch on for about 6 weeks, but I also had started w/a bad latch w/dd. She didn't nurse at all for the first week, then took until 4 weeks to nurse exclusively. (The first time she latched, I thought it was bad, but didn't care b/c I was so happy she did it.) After a few feedings like that- I did end up with bleeding, cracked nipples, and it was no fun. I was in toe curling pain until I got that fixed.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#45 of 46 Old 12-22-2003, 01:56 PM

xerxes,

Yup, I am a fellow red head, so I think I may know how you feel! I agree with shelbean91 as well and think that if the pain is only at the initial 'latch-on' and not during the rest of the nursing, you're doing just fine. As your babe becomes a more skilled 'latcher', things will get progressively better. It used to take me a few tries, initially, to get ds latched properly but eventually, he got the hang of things and it was smooth sailing!

So otherwise, how is your wee one doing? Is she gaining weight all over the place? Wow, 5lb 10oz is a teeny tiny wee thing . She must be quite a little love. My ds was 6, 15 and 1/2 and I thought that was teeny for a full term babe!

#46 of 46 Old 12-26-2003, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

pumpkinhead,

My dd is doing just fine...we enjoyed her first Christmas together. I was shocked when the nurses told me that she was only 5 pounds 10 1/2 ounces...I told her she must have written it down wrong! She was born one day after her "due date." How could she be so little? They reassured me that some people have tiny babies...she won the peanut award from the nursery because all of the other babies were huge (in my opinion) compared to her...they looked 3 months old to me! But, she is now filling out and growing like crazy...I am anxious to find out how much she weighs now! She is finally fitting into some of her 0 to 3 month outfits!

Hope everyone has/had a nice holiday!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page