nipple pain/flaky/ pg and ebf - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2003, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am not sure where to post this at...
My ds is 3 and I am 7 weeks pg...

My left nipple has been causing me some pain for about 2 months now off and on.
Initially it was cracked from the position ds was nursing at night.
That healed but ever since then the pain has never really went away.
Now I am pg and of course both of my nipples are very sore but I have been only nursing ds off the right breast which does not hurt ...so I tried to let him nurse off the left one that has been hurting (it does not hurt when he nurses)and he nursed but when he was done I get this burning/throbbing pain that lasts a while and my nipple was all flaky after he nursed. It has been flaky before here and there..it is almost like dry skin....

My nipple looks a little red and I have been using lanolin(not consistantly) on it but it seems to be sticking to my bra and when I peel it off that hurts too...it is only after ds nurses that I get the most pain...

I know it is not thrush..BTDT....I feel like I am getting exzcema on the inside of my arms now too(which I have had before last winter) so I do not know if I need to go to a dermatologist or call my CNMW and have her look....

any thoughts?
TIA!

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 10:27 PM

There are a gazillion posts about thrush in overcoming difficulties. The burning throbbing thing sounds like a candidate.

Hope this helps,
Rebecca
Old 12-16-2003, 11:50 PM

I assume you don't have any nystatin cream around? If you can get a prescription for some, and it helps, it is thrush. It is quite safe and relatively low mess (esp. compared to gentian violet). Lanolin will only make it worse if it is thrush.

I was going to say "sounds normal" but the skin part as opposed to just general pain does sound like thrush, and pregnancy does mess up your bacteria/yeast balance.

Nancy
mom to nurslings Emily (4) and Hazel (1.4)
Old 12-17-2003, 01:17 AM

Hm, sounded like thrush to me too. You don't even have to use nystatin - you can use generic anti-fungal cream from the drug store (like miconizale) and see if that helps. You could also try bathing your breasts in a 4:1 warm water : white vinegar solution and if they feel less itchy then it's probably yeast.

Or it could be eczema....but really, the crack in your nipple was the perfect set up for yeast (according to Dr. Newman the serum that oozes from cracked skin makes the yeast that normally live on your skin morph into the dreaded yeastie beasties) and lanolin makes things worse. Olive oil is a good anti-yeast soother.

Check out the thrush resources page at www.kellymom.com (under breastfeeding - common concerns I think).

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

User Tag List