Breast Pads - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking to purchase some breastpads for after my baby's born. Do the gerber washable breat pads work well? I'm wanting to use cloth breast pads, so if those don't work well what do you suggest that works well.

Carolyn
#2 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 06:56 PM

The cloth haven't worked for me at all-I leak way too much. I'm holding on to them though for when I stop leaking so much.
I use the Lansinoh disposable pads and love them.

Mama to a wild thing (10/08) and a new thing (8/5/10) and wife to the love of my
Typos+weird words=typing on my iPhone
#3 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 PM

The gerber ones aren't very thick - I soaked through them insanely fast. Your best bet is to go on hyenacart and look for a WAHM that makes them - I'd go with something like bamboo fleece with bamboo velour on top.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#4 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 PM

Also, if you get it PUL backed, it should help.

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#5 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlea View Post
The cloth haven't worked for me at all-I leak way too much. I'm holding on to them though for when I stop leaking so much.
I use the Lansinoh disposable pads and love them.
Ditto this. not only did the cloth pads not contain my leaks, but they also tended to stick to my nipples- not cool when I was already dealing with intense nipple pain. I figure I'll use them later on when I leak less. For now it's all about lansinoh- they last all night, and don't show as much under clothes as other sposies I've tried.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#6 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 10:23 PM

I bought some Medela cloth pads and they last about .0002 seconds before leaking through if I have a let-down. I like the Lansinoh ones too, as far as disposables go. However, I really try to avoid having the Lansinoh ones directly against my nipple, as I've found little beads of whatever the absorbent gel in them is on my skin. I don't want that kind of junk on DD's backside, hence the cloth diapers, so I sure as heck don't want her eating it! So, whenever possible I double up with a cloth pad and a disposable pad - cloth against my skin, disposable behind it.
#7 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 PM

Same here w/ regards to cloth -- I just leaked way too much.

I started with the Medela and Lansinoh pads, but found that I got thrush with them quite easily. I switched to the Johnson's brand, which are more breathable (no plastic backing that I see) and have not had thrush issues for months! They are also a bit more affordable than Medela or Lansinoh, I think. I hate that I can't use cloth, but they really just didn't cut it for me.
#8 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 11:43 PM

I used cloth re-usable flannel pads with all my babies. The disposables were so itchy and wasteful to me.

In addition to flannel, hemp is a premium and superior absorbent fiber as well as bamboo.

Good luck.

MB, mama to three, soulmate to one, pioneering cloth to many since 2002!
#9 of 24 Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 PM

Another brand of reusable that might work for you is Lana breast pads. I tried them first, before disposables (don't like waste, either), but I was allergic to many of them. Hadn't heard of the bamboo pads in PP, though. Very cool!
#10 of 24 Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM

I'll be trying bamboo and hemp this time around... Due in Aug!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#11 of 24 Old 02-14-2009, 10:08 PM

Some woman don't leak much. I was lucky and after two babies my two sets of cloth breastpads were still nearly new and I passed them on to one of my SIL's
#12 of 24 Old 02-14-2009, 10:20 PM

I've tried the Medela reusable pads once. I leaked through the pads, my bra, and the sweater I was wearing.

I leak a lot throughout the day. I use the Lansinoh disposables and find they work great.
#13 of 24 Old 02-14-2009, 11:09 PM

The Gerber pads were terrible for me. Too small, no absorption, and the fabric stuck to my raw nipples.

I was very (VERY) leaky at the beginning and the only thing that worked was disposable pads (I used Lansinoh). Now that the leaks have slowed, I got some great cotton pads from an Etsy crafter. Flannel sandwiched with birdseye cotton- comfy and practical.

Mom to energy.gif(11/08) and  babyboy.gif  (4/11)

#14 of 24 Old 02-15-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella99 View Post
I've tried the Medela reusable pads once. I leaked through the pads, my bra, and the sweater I was wearing.
Haha, me too. I double up the Medela and Gerber ones with Gerber on the outside as a sort of waterproof barrier.
#15 of 24 Old 02-15-2009, 12:55 AM

I've used the Gerber ones, but they're pretty thin, not very absorbent, and get a little scratchy over time. I just discovered the Swaddlebees organic cotton velour pads with this baby, and I really like them. They are a little more visible under tight clothes than the Gerber pads since they're not as contoured, but I've never leaked through one in the daytime. And they're buttery soft.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#16 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Hemp pads can absorb ALOT! I had good luck with the Avent pads when I was leaking heavily - no gel in those.
#17 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 02:50 AM

I bought Avent ones but love the ones I make because they have a breathable waterproof layer. I haven't leaked out of those. I had to double up the Avent cloth ones for a while

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

#18 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 10:19 AM

I HATE the cloth Gerber ones.

As for disposable, I don't like the Avent ones. They feel itchy to me. I'm not fond of the Medela (though I'm using those at the moment because I had some free samples lying around and ran out of my regular ones).

The ones I normally buy are the Lanisoh brand super soft. They feel so silky and soft and I've never once had a single problem with the absorbancy. I love them.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#19 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 01:39 PM

I have tried almost all of the commercially available cloth and haven't been able to really use them since I have such heavy leaking. This time I am trying Lana Xtra pads and I love them but still leak through after about 2 seconds But they feel fabulous!

I am thinking about switching back to Johnsons for awhile and hopefully my body will adjust- I just can't change my shirt 53 times a day.

But since everyone is different- get a couple pairs of a couple different kinds and the most you will be out is like $15 and you will have some to get you started.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#20 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used disposable for about 3 or 4 months while my milk supply was regulating. Now I can use the cloth and never leak through. I don't remember the brand, but it comes in a pink box with a little mesh storage bag. I love them, super soft.

I never found a brand of disposable I liked. A few times they actually burst and got gel on my breast. It was after working out, so sweat mixed with milk...

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#21 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 03:24 PM

WOOL!!!! Maybe I missed it but, I don't think wool was mentioned.

I know, I know, "Wool on my nipples? You must be crazy lady!!" Maybe a little but, really, wool is awsome

Here are just a couple sites selling wool nursing pads- http://www.danishwool.com/products/i...sing_pads.html
http://www.parentingbynature.com/wool-nursing-pads.htm

Wool is amazing! It absorbs an insane amount of liquid, keeps you warm in the winter, cool in the summer, etc. It has so many amazing qualitites.

I'd suggest to not get pads with PUL or any thing like that. You want the pads to breathe to prevent any infections.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
#22 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 03:44 PM

my ds is almost 9 months and i still leak daily, though not as much as i once did. i started out with cloth pads (gerber) and thought that they looked like bulseyes under my shirt! now i use lanisoh pads and i really like them, the only thing i don't like is the superfluous packaging

#23 of 24 Old 02-16-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natty529 View Post
my ds is almost 9 months and i still leak daily, though not as much as i once did. i started out with cloth pads (gerber) and thought that they looked like bulseyes under my shirt! now i use lanisoh pads and i really like them, the only thing i don't like is the superfluous packaging
I know! Why they need to be individually wrapped is beyond me. Wasteful, and irritating to fuss with when I'm scrambling to get dressed and my overfull morning boobs are dripping all over the place.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

#24 of 24 Old 07-05-2013, 02:35 AM

I leak a lot and really wanted to use reusable breast pads. None of the big brand names worked for me as I leaked through them. I found "naturekins" available on etsy or eBay and they are amazing. The proprietor is from Canada is shipping was pretty fast. I received mine in less than a week of ordering. The pads are very absorbent and have worked wonders for me. I just ordered three additional pairs and they were buy one get one at $12.95 which was a great deal. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e12052.m66.l1181/7?euid=1a1837e700f84ec9b31c7cecafe78838&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fmyworld.ebay.com%2Fnaturekins%3FssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3AeRTM%3AUS%3A1181

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page