Night Weaning a 6 month old from Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a feeling of what kind of responses I'm going to get here but I'm hoping someone has some advice for me anyway

My sleep deprivation is negatively affecting my relationship with my baby. I think I've pretty much done everything I can to maximize my sleep. We co-sleep (comfortably), I nap when she naps. I'm still so exhausted, though, that I can't function. I am perpetually grumpy, and I try to avoid contact with the baby during the day because I am just so touched out. I had a panic attack tonight over it. I have insomnia because I fear going to bed - I know I'll have to wake up every 2 hours. I'm also afraid to wake up in the morning because I'm so stressed and exhausted after the night that my mood just nose dives. I have very severe depression so it's pretty dangerous (it sounds ridiculous but a bad mood for me can be life-threatening).

Has anyone tried to night wean a 6 month old? This sounds crazy to me but I just can't deal anymore.

At this point, I just want peace. Please help.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#2 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:07 AM

Nightweaning a 6 month old is in no way developmentally appropriate. That said, no one deserves to feel rotten all the time. Perhaps you could lay out what your night looks like as far as bed time, sleep, wakings, time awake, etc and see if anyone has any tips?

-Angela
#3 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Nightweaning a 6 month old is in no way developmentally appropriate. That said, no one deserves to feel rotten all the time. Perhaps you could lay out what your night looks like as far as bed time, sleep, wakings, time awake, etc and see if anyone has any tips?

-Angela
Last night she went to bed at 8 but that is just too early for me. I decided to stay up until she woke for her next feeding (to maximize my own sleep). She woke up at 12. She refused to eat and just wanted to cry. I stayed up with her trying to get her to sleep until 2. She woke up at 3ish to eat, then again at 5. She woke up for the day at 7.

I was so tired today that I fell asleep while I was playing with her on the floor in the living room. I have no idea how long I was asleep, but when I woke up she was all the way across the room crying.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what a typical night is like, because there are NO typical nights. Every night is different, but equally as exhausting. I feel like if she had regular times when she woke up it might be easier because I could get into a rhythm but its just so random. A lot of my fear of the night comes from the fact that it is just so unknown.

#4 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 AM

You shouldn't feel like your health or safety - or that of your child - is at risk. I'm curious as to why you're waking up fully for the night feedings. Have you tried nursing while lying down? Alternatively, would it be possible for you to pump during the day and have your partner do some of the night feeding with bottles?

Mama to twins Wren and Robin, 3/3/08.
#5 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:26 AM

Really, that's a pretty good sleep pattern- except for the waking and crying bit. Her first stretch is 4 hours (in that example) which is nearly enough to be considered "sleeping through the night" (5 hours) I would think that part of the problem is that it's not lining up to when YOU sleep.

Just tossing ideas out here- have you tried going to bed that early? Or have you tried keeping her up until you go to sleep? If you were getting that one longer run WITH her, I wonder if you would feel better?

The up crying is tough. Is she teething? Do you think it could be food sensitivities?

Is she often up crying at night? Or just usually nursing frequently?

Can you sleep through her wakings for nursings? Or nearly? For me that helps a lot- when I don't have to wake up all the way for the nursing wakings.

But the crying wakings are much, MUCH harder.

-Angela
#6 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccellina View Post
You shouldn't feel like your health or safety - or that of your child - is at risk. I'm curious as to why you're waking up fully for the night feedings. Have you tried nursing while lying down? Alternatively, would it be possible for you to pump during the day and have your partner do some of the night feeding with bottles?
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say with your first sentence. My health is at risk. Why shouldn't I feel that way?

Some people can sleep with another person sucking on their nipples and others can't.

I always nurse lying down.

I will wake up with the baby regardless of whether DH takes care of it or not. Besides, he has to go to work. He's also useless at night. He wakes up apologizing for stealing my electrons (yes, this actually happened). Last night I tried to wake him up and he told me, "You should NOT have gotten those cheeseburgers." He's just as much of a zombie at night as I am.

#7 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post

Really, that's a pretty good sleep pattern- except for the waking and crying bit. Her first stretch is 4 hours (in that example) which is nearly enough to be considered "sleeping through the night" (5 hours) I would think that part of the problem is that it's not lining up to when YOU sleep.

Just tossing ideas out here- have you tried going to bed that early? Or have you tried keeping her up until you go to sleep? If you were getting that one longer run WITH her, I wonder if you would feel better?

The up crying is tough. Is she teething? Do you think it could be food sensitivities?

Is she often up crying at night? Or just usually nursing frequently?

Can you sleep through her wakings for nursings? Or nearly? For me that helps a lot- when I don't have to wake up all the way for the nursing wakings.

But the crying wakings are much, MUCH harder.

-Angela
If I went to bed at 8, my DH would be crushed. He only has so much time at home and he doesn't want to spend it alone. So, no, I've never tried that.

We tried having DD stay up until we went to bed but then she's sleep deprived. It was just too late for her.

Sometimes she cries all night, sometimes she just nurses. It's unpredictable. I think if it were more predictable I would be able to cope. Is there anyway to put her on, say, a night schedule?

#8 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
If I went to bed at 8, my DH would be crushed. He only has so much time at home and he doesn't want to spend it alone. So, no, I've never tried that.

We tried having DD stay up until we went to bed but then she's sleep deprived. It was just too late for her.

Sometimes she cries all night, sometimes she just nurses. It's unpredictable. I think if it were more predictable I would be able to cope. Is there anyway to put her on, say, a night schedule?
No- there's really no good way to put a baby on a schedule that they don't create for themselves.

I think sometimes as parents, we have to put needs ahead of wants. You NEED sleep. Your dh WANTS company. If there is not a way for you to get enough sleep AND for him to get company, then your need for sleep trumps his want.

I'd go to bed when she does for a week or two and try to get caught up on sleep.

The crying I would try to analyze. I would look first at teething. Second at possible food sensitivities.

The waking to nurse, is normal- that I would work for *you* to get more comfortable and able to sleep through it.

I think they are really three separate issues that have combined to make one miserable mama.

-Angela
#9 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving to breastfeeding.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#10 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 AM

Mama, have you considered that you might have a thyroid problem or other health issue that's causing you to be so tired? It sounds like you're getting plenty of sleep, so your extreme tiredness just doesn't seem normal to me. Have you had bloodwork done recently? Pregnancy is a really common time for thyroid issues to creep up.
#11 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 AM

Have you considered (or maybe you are already on) medication for your depression/anxiety? Are you taking any sorts of vitamins (thinking anemia)?

I think in this instance it would be acceptable to take a few nights to go to bed early and catch up on sleep. Maybe do it on a Thursday and Friday so you and your dh and make up the time on the weekend?A warm bath and a few sips of wine maybe?

Do you have some other family member or friend that could come and take care of baby for a morning or two so you can sleep in?

I was so tired today that I fell asleep while I was playing with her on the floor in the living room. I have no idea how long I was asleep, but when I woke up she was all the way across the room crying.

This bothers me. Loosing time is not good. I would consider taking to a mental health professional.
#12 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 12:55 AM

Im going to try not to sound b*tchy...I tend to do that I really am a nice person.

2 hours of sleep (after the 4 hour stretch) at a time is really a decent length of time. Breastfed babies digest faster, and when they are younger (6months is still young) they need to eat more often, and they can't handle an empty, or even semi empty stomach.

I think, rather than adjusting your babies sleep, like pp have suggested - you need to adjust your own. Napping when she naps is a fantastic idea. Go to bed, when she goes to bed at 8:00. If your DH absolutely needs time with you, stay up for an extra 30minutes and do something as a couple (not just sit and watch tv) and then go to bed.

For the time being her need for breastmilk, and breastfeeding outweighs your want for a schedule. And your need for sleep definately triumphs your dh's want for time.

This too does pass - my dd was up every hour until she was about 10months, then every 2 hours until about 14months. But she is 17months now, and she almost sleeps through the night (8:00-6:30a) and we have had no sleep issues (in the sense or making her cio, or night wean...) it just happened naturally - but there were trying nights, and nights of tears (many), and days when I would DREAD the night...but it ends.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#13 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:10 AM

I might get booed for that but what if you put your LO into her own bed, even if it's just across the room? DD is about the age of your LO and she will nurse every hour or so when she is laying right next to me, just because she can smell me, she's aroused, wants to nurse and suck all the time. I have her in our bed for nursings, maybe I fall back asleep but sometims she just squirms and wants to suck, even though she's not hungry anymore so I put her in her own bed. She soothes herself with her thumb and goes right back to sleep. In her crib, she usually sleeps a good 5hrs strech, sometimes less, sometimes even more. You can still be on your babies schedule but that way you can move in your bed and she might not be waking up as much. Just a thought, maybe worth a try.

Good luck.

joy.gif
#14 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really not getting a lot of sleep. I would never be able to go to bed that early. I have insomnia (depression/anxiety). I am on antidepressants. I gather, though, it is not working as it should.

I have had blood work done recently. No thyroid or iron issues.

"For the time being her need for breastmilk, and breastfeeding outweighs your want for a schedule."

I disagree. I don't think you understand the severity of my depression. She needs a mother. A healthy mother. She needs me. She needs ME a lot more than she needs my milk. If I try to kill myself again she might not have me OR my milk.

#15 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I might get booed for that but what if you put your LO into her own bed, even if it's just across the room? DD is about the age of your LO and she will nurse every hour or so when she is laying right next to me, just because she can smell me, she's aroused, wants to nurse and suck all the time. I have her in our bed for nursings, maybe I fall back asleep but sometims she just squirms and wants to suck, even though she's not hungry anymore so I put her in her own bed. She soothes herself with her thumb and goes right back to sleep. In her crib, she usually sleeps a good 5hrs strech, sometimes less, sometimes even more. You can still be on your babies schedule but that way you can move in your bed and she might not be waking up as much. Just a thought, maybe worth a try.

Good luck.
I tried that. She sleeps well in her crib. The problem is that when she sleeps in her crib when she wakes to eat I wake up to the point that I can't fall asleep for at least a half hour. When she's right there I don't stay awake as long. I think she wakes up pretty much the same amount either way.

#16 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 AM

I know this doesn't solve your whole problem, and at least one other pp has suggested it too, but have you considered if she's teething? The part where you described her waking up crying but refusing to nurse reminds me of how ds acted when he first started teething. Your descriptions of the unpredictability of her waking patterns also reminds me of teething. ds was predictable in his sleeping and waking patterns until teething hit. Have you tried to give your baby anything for her teething just to see if it would help her sleep better?

Another suggestion - and I know this isn't a magic bullet, but it may help just a little bit. It has helped me. I got a cheap Conair alarm clock with white noise settings, and I wish I had gotten it a long time ago. One good thing about it is that it helps mask noises so that when dh or I stir, it doesn't wake ds as much. It also seems to make him fall asleep faster and sleep a little more deeply and a little longer.

As for comprehensive advice on night weaning a six month old, there are really only three options for you:

1) Sheer luck, and you and I both know you don't have that

2) Crying it out, which I think you know nobody here will ever recommend for a second. If you are here to be talked out of that, you came to the right place. If you are seeking permission for it - hoping that somebody here would tell you that it is the lesser evil in your situation - you came to the wrong place.

3) Following the gentle night weaning methods in The No Cry Sleep Solution. These methods do not work overnight, they do not work for everybody, and they require some patience.

Jennifer - mother to Wyatt (Feb 2008)
#17 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I'm really not getting a lot of sleep. I would never be able to go to bed that early. I have insomnia (depression/anxiety). I am on antidepressants. I gather, though, it is not working as it should.

"For the time being her need for breastmilk, and breastfeeding outweighs your want for a schedule."

I disagree. I don't think you understand the severity of my depression. She needs a mother. A healthy mother. She needs me. She needs ME a lot more than she needs my milk. If I try to kill myself again she might not have me OR my milk.

Then honestly, it sounds like a mom issue, not a baby issue.

The solution for more sleep is to go to sleep when she does. What could you do to work toward that?

Or perhaps your meds need to be adjusted?

Good luck!

-Angela
#18 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:38 AM

Quote:

If you feel this adamant and clear about your choices then I think you already know what you want to do and are hoping to be absolved of guilt about choosing it.

Jennifer - mother to Wyatt (Feb 2008)
#19 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm a little confused. Are you not going to bed early because your DH would be sad and lonely, or because you have insomnia and can't sleep that early? Perhaps it's the insomnia that is causing the problems rather than your baby waking at night? Have you spoken to your HCP about your insomnia and depression/anxiety? If it's truly for your DH's benefit that you're staying up, I think you need to reevaluate your priorities. I'm sure your DH would prefer a healthy, sane wife and be a little lonely in the evenings.

I agree with you that your life and health are the most important thing. But I think that you are focusing all your energy on the baby eating being the problem, when reading your posts it really sounds like you have a lot more going on in your life. You also should keep in mind that even if you decided to nightwean, it might not work. And you might end up with a baby screaming for hours on end, rather than once every 2 hours. Babies wake up at night. You need to be able to deal with that. IMHO you really need to talk to a HCP about your issues asap.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#20 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:

It seems to me that the problem then is not her waking - but issues outside of being a mother - that are only exasperated by having a baby (who by all accounts seems perfectly normal).

Perhaps you need to reduce stress in your life another way, and make THAT a priority in your life. Your baby - and reducing stress (however that is - yoga, meditation, counselling) - and then allow other things back in as you feel able to deal with them.

Perhaps your hormones have changed since having a baby and your meds need to be changed so as to allow you to handle everything smoothly.

Perhaps you need to try alternative therapies: light therapy (used for S.A.D.), aromatherapy, marijuana, acupuncture, shiro dhara).

It doesnt seem like the answer to your insomnia is having your baby sleep longer, because as you said you arent sleeping when she sleeps anyways - so instead of trying to adjust her patterns/needs I would suggest working on ways to help alleviate the other issues.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

#21 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsMom2008 View Post
If you feel this adamant and clear about your choices then I think you already know what you want to do and are hoping to be absolved of guilt about choosing it.
I think she was looking for advice on how to nightwean, not looking for MDCs absolution of her sins.

To the OP i would try moving bedtime 30 minutes or even 15 minutes at time so you can all go to bed together.

I know babies that were STTN by 6 months.

Mommy to our Twin Miracles babygirl.gifbabyboy.gif born on 29/1/12

#22 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 02:14 AM

Oh sweetie, I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I have a 7 month old and am always tired but it is getting better. I have also had some issues with severe depression in the past so I know how desperate it can make you feel and lack of sleep compounds the problem.

Just a couple of thoughts:

This not popular here but does she take a paci at all? I am not suggesting that you replace nutrients with the paci but it may help soothe some of her fussiness when she is not really interested in eating. Could help with some of the negative feelings toward night nursing.

Also, Have you tried using the crib as a side car to your bed so that baby is still very close but not actually in your bed? This may help you sleep a little more soundly and you wouldn't have to wake completely up to move her closer to you when she needs to nurse.

We have a little attachment for ds's crib that vibrates the mattress it also has some white noise features. It seems to help him. When he starts to stir a little bit, the vibration comes back on and sometimes lulls him back to sleep giving a little bit more shut eye.

I can tell by your posts that you are really struggling. I hope things improve for you very soon.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#23 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really not trying to pretend like the baby has the problem.

*I* have the problem, I'm trying to help myself by having her sleep longer stretches so that I can get more sleep. Well, that was the idea, anyway.

I don't think I'm communicating myself very well. I had sleep problems before the baby came but now they are just intolerable. I feel like I'm in a position to fix my sleep problems, and what's holding me back is having to get up multiple times in the middle of the night. Is that understandable?

Anyway, thanks for your replies and concern.

I talked to DH about it and he volunteered to take over for a few nights and see how it goes. Or maybe we can alternate nights. She's going to need to get a little formula but that really doesn't upset me too much at this point.

#24 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 02:19 AM

IMO try pumping her milk for the night feeding... It gets better. DD is 6months and I'm not diagnosed at severe depression but definate PTSD (IMO) I started working out more in the day to be sure I'm tired. My D is teething right now so it's really uncomfortable for her. She actually had NO problems taking a bottle from me so I would recommend trying that to ease your sleep. As far as night weaning I agree that it would be a Negative event for both of you guys. Ido believe it will become better. Enjoy her as much as possible but if your anti-touch during the day it's okay you'll fall in love again soon. Hope this helps :
#25 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 02:23 AM

I know you said you got tested and have no thyroid or iron issues but what about adrenal? I have adrenal fatigue and there have been days when I've had to all DH home from work (luckily we own the business) because I'm falling asleep when I shouldn't be.

I have no advice. DD2 was a rough baby and I thought about weaning her at a young age as well. I couldn't do it though. It came down to not wanting to deal with her crying from the weaning. I could deal with the crappy sleep but the crying would have sent me over the edge...crying gets on my nerves so fast.

I understand the anxiety issues. It's a whole 'nother ballgame huh? Maybe look into licorice root tonic? Here's a link for some. I've been told it's bfing friendly but haven't looked into it yet. I plan on getting some here soon.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#26 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 02:58 AM

I just had to come back and post again. Your struggle has really hit home with me.

I completely weaned my second child at around 6 months in order to deal with some mental health issues. I had a difficult pregnancy, was on bedrest for 3 months, and ended up with a premature birth. I was depressed, having panick attacks, and was later diagnosed with PTSD and OCD. I made the decision to wean him to go on heavy duty antidepressants.

Now, I am not suggesting that you completely wean your little one, as I did. I would do everything I could to avoid that. I am also not suggesting that your situation is the same as mine. One thing is clear though, we all owe it to our children to take care of their mama.

Only you can decide what it right for you and your baby but no matter what you decide please please please get the help you need.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#27 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
It seems to me that the problem then is not her waking - but issues outside of being a mother - that are only exasperated by having a baby (who by all accounts seems perfectly normal).

Perhaps you need to reduce stress in your life another way, and make THAT a priority in your life. Your baby - and reducing stress (however that is - yoga, meditation, counselling) - and then allow other things back in as you feel able to deal with them.

Perhaps your hormones have changed since having a baby and your meds need to be changed so as to allow you to handle everything smoothly.

Perhaps you need to try alternative therapies: light therapy (used for S.A.D.), aromatherapy, marijuana, acupuncture, shiro dhara).

It doesnt seem like the answer to your insomnia is having your baby sleep longer, because as you said you arent sleeping when she sleeps anyways - so instead of trying to adjust her patterns/needs I would suggest working on ways to help alleviate the other issues.

:

I have serious insomnia issues as well, dd would wake and I'd be up for hours in the middle of the night. I also have scoliosis and can't sleep nursing her. And fibromyalgia so the night wakings were causing serious fibro attacks during the day. DD has severe sleep problems. And I mean SEVERE. waking every 7 minutes for a whole month and then for numerous months before and after that every 20. I feel where your coming from. I really do. But nightweaning isn't the answer. Do you drink caffeine? after I cut caffeine out of my diet I slept better at night, way better actually. Then I cut out the daytime naps I was taking with her. I found that I was sleeping in small chunks during the day so then at night I wasn't as tired and therefore couldn't sleep through the nursing.

a 4 hour stretch is a big stretch. Your dh will just have to understand, this is just a phase and soon she'll be sleeping better. To me it seems, and I could be completely wrong, but you are putting your dh above your dd. To nightwean her would be nothing more than putting your dh's wants above your babies needs. If you could go to bed at 8, even if you weren't sleeping, it would help. Just laying and resting in bed is better than being up and about. You and dh will have to figure out other ways to connect that don't involve you sacraficing your health or your babies nutritional needs.

The key for us was teaching dd how to fall asleep on her own. It wasn't hard, and there was barely any crying involved (and no cio) and she started sleeping much better. BUT she was also 13 months when she started that.

I don't know if thats the answer you wanted to hear...but its all I've got The only one who knows everything about your situation is you and if you truly believe that you've exhausted all other options and nightweaning is the only way you will get sleep, that it will fix your insomnia ect then do it. The No Cry Sleep Solution is great, and The Baby Whisperer also has some great ideas. Good luck

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#28 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
I have no advice. DD2 was a rough baby and I thought about weaning her at a young age as well. I couldn't do it though. It came down to not wanting to deal with her crying from the weaning. I could deal with the crappy sleep but the crying would have sent me over the edge...crying gets on my nerves so fast.
ditto ditto DITTO!

We tried to nightwean a few times when I thought I was going to die from the sleep deprivation...literally and when I would just pass out during the day in the middle of anything. BUT the crying was so bad! it would be like an hour and I'd be like screw this, I don't care how bad the sleep is ANYTHING is better than this!! *sigh* thank the Lord it all worked out

Danielle, wife to John, mama to Valley9.24.07
expecting our miracle babies around 5.12.10- praying that baby B grows healthy and strong!
#29 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 AM

I'm so sorry you're struggling, mama.

Pump and have DH take over a feeding or two- maybe the late evening one and/or an early morning one before he goes to work.

Use a box fan at night to create some white noise- that helped DS sleep longer stretches.

Do what you have to do in order to TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

Sleepy mama to Colin Theodore 8-12-08 and Trevor Arthur 7-17-12.

#30 of 50 Old 02-14-2009, 05:37 AM

aw, hugs, mama, sorry you're having such a rough time!!

if you can pump, it would be vastly superior to formula, not only nutritionally, but the last thing you need now is the potential digestive upset that might come from introducing formula...

and while it can be soooooo hard on dads in the first year of a kid's life, they do have to just kind of suck it up and help you get the sleep you need. what if you stayed up with him for an hour, then went to bed at 9? if you get enough exercise and fresh air during the day, you might find that you're able to fall asleep at 9? or take a book to bed at 8 when the baby goes to sleep, and that might help you drift off by 9 or so... staying up until midnight is way too late, with a baby waking up a few times, and up for the day at 7 -- I disagree with the pp who said that you're getting enough sleep, and if it were me, I'd really try to go to bed earlier. I know how tempting it is to have that time without the kid, but you pay for it the next day!!

good luck finding a solution, but nightweaning will probably not work anyway, since she's still so little. try to keep in mind that it is temporary, that you will have your body and your time and your husband and your sleep back eventually -- I know it doesn't solve the immediate issue, but your dh can handle a few hours on his own in the evenings if it means adequate sleep for you... he may even decide that going to bed at 9 or 10 is the bee's knees!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page