tired and dreaming of coffee - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2009, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, it seems that I am in the minority here. I quit coffee and black tea when I got pregnant. I still don't drink any caffeinated drinks with my nursling at 8 1/2 months. I do indulge myself in chocolate though.

I tried to drink tea and cola when my ds was younger and I found it difficult to get him to sleep. So, now I either drink Rooibos tea. Not quite the same pick me up but it's not bad.

But I have to say I really, really miss coffee!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 12:07 AM

I drink coffee too. I try and limit it a bit during the first trimester and when the baby is brand new, but other than that? I have 3-4 cups a day usually.

Nicole - Mom to FOUR healthy, happy, wild boys.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:13 AM

girl!
why are you not having a cup of coffee!!!
i have nursed a dd to the age of 4.5, and am nursing a just about 13 month old, and i would cease to exist without my 1 cup to HALF POT a day!

seriously! im not gonna post links, bx i am sure someone already has-some coffee is fine!

enjoy!!

Erin, 33, salty southern mama, sitting by the sea with my DH35, DD10, DS4, &DD2!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I continue to enjoy a morning cup of coffee through pregnancy and while nursing. I'm not going to Starbucks daily for a quad-shot or anything crazy like that but one cup is not going to hurt and it goes a long way to make mama happy.
:
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 AM

I never gave it up, either.

The ONE time DS was affected was when I forgot that I had already had a grande latte (two shots of espresso) in the AM, and had another around 5pm. And honestly, we were BOTH up that night...i cannot have coffee after around 4pm or I'm up All Night Long. And that night we were both tormented.

But listen, the sugar cravings? Eat some PROTEIN. When your body does the sugar-crave thing it's asking in simplest terms for some energy. So you can give in to the short-term quick-up-quick-down sugar burst, or you can eat some nice protein, which is what your body is really asking for.

If only my friend had told me about that while pregnant, I probably wouldn't have "had to" gain 60 lbs! She knows it b/c she is on the liver transplant list and has to be careful with her foods, and all of her dieticians have told her this...she chose to tell me way too late, LOL.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love coffee too, but I cut it out while pregnant and am still doing decaf --but GOOD decaf
I also had to cut out yerba mate, which was a harder thing to do. Man, that stuff is full of caffeine.
I have actually found I have more energy caffeine-less, but I do have to say exercise and a good diet is a huge part of that. Sounds counter-intuitive, but I have to exercise to have energy.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 PM

We got some Zone dark chocolate protein bars at Costco. They are not GREAT for you, seriously about 200 calories and I think 2 g of saturated fat. But they have a TON of protein. That being said, it crunches down my afternoon cookie monster, sugar craving and fatigue in one big punch. It helps me wait for my husband to get home for dinner (7-7:30) without either snacking all day or pre-eating dinner while I cook It totally satisfied chocolate craving and gives me a lot of protein for energy so I feel like it's a good compromise. You might also try an Odwalla bar or the odwalla chocolate protein drink--again, a lot of calories but better to do that than eat and eat and eat all afternoon, or drink a cup of coffee in the afternoon with no nutritional value, and JUST the caffeine.

And yes, I always have a cup of Constant Comment tea or a latte every morning
Old 02-18-2009, 06:07 PM

I have a cup of regular every morning and then if I want more I have decaf. It helps to have a one cup machine. Although when I drink my second cup I just put a hot chocolate packet in it instead of cream and sugar. Yummy mocha goodness

I *need* coffee - except during the first trimester. I see I'm not alone in my 1st tri coffee nausea. lol.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Old 02-19-2009, 05:49 AM

: Coffee!!! I tried to give it up,but couldn't..Decaf because its not for the energy as much as the taste and comfort for me. I cut back when I was pregnant to a few cups a week and when my baby was a newborn stopped for a bit thinking that it was making my milk taste weird,but we got over that and now I have a cup or two a day-its my favorite time of the day to sit down w/ my coffee and check my e-mail while baby is taking a nap! :
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM

mmmmm coffee. I don't think I could live w/o it.

The only time I gave it up was for a portion of the first trimester withmy 4th pregnancy. We were on vacation in Mexico and maybe it was how strong the coffee there was, but it made me very nauseous and turned me off for a while. I was so happy the day it sounded good again.

All things in moderation. I don't see any problem with 1-2 cups per day while TTC, pregnant or nursing. I do see a problem with me being exhausted and not all there because I didn't have my beloved coffee.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:33 PM

I take a little nap when I can. That really seems to help and I used to hate napping.
But wow, this post is making me miss coffee so much! I stopped drinking it because of how disgusting even the smell of it was during the first trimester, but now that I am pushing 6 months, hmmm... Haha. I also don't drink it because of my fibromyalgia though and it would be such a mistake to start again. But... haha.

User Tag List