New baby--supply problems--I think? Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2003, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
An LC came to my house and got my son to nurse and he is latching and nursing fine.
Now here is my question--
I never got engorged this time and I am sure I have some milk NOW, as he nursed and then was weighed by LC.
But I think I have supply problems because this is not how nursing my dd went at all.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal or a supply problem?
With my dd, I had OAL big time and would "fill up" whenever she was not nursing.
Now, I never feel engorged, never even fell fullness, and he has skipped a feeding here and there as we have worked on latch (and at those times he was supplemented). I called an LC because I couldn't get him to latch and at day 5 post partum, I didn't think that I had any milk that was coming in.
Wombat mentioned in another post that I might have thyroid problems?
Does this sound like it might be the case, or do most second time moms bypass the feelings of fullness, engorgement, etc?

Some facts: he will be a week old tomorrow, he was a scheduled c-sec. We were told he had Ds (Down syndrome) but he was born healthy. He weighed over nine pounds at birth.

I know how to get supply up--should I be worried? Is this normal?
I can get him to nurse now at all almost every feeding, and he nurses (and I can hear him swallow), but it takes him an hour to feed and then my DH is still supplementing him with 10-15 cc of formula, as he is still hungry.
Is this a supply problem, or will things get better with time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2003, 04:15 PM

I have heard some moms say they never felt engorged... I know one mom who ff that didn't really even notice when her milk came in, didn't get engorged or sore or leaky ... I hope you can continue to work with your LC to iron out the kinks...
LLL is a great source for help, the leaders will talk to you by phone anytime.

When my ds was hungry after nursing at both breasts I would put him back on the first side again, even though it felt empty he would still get some milk - it would usually cause another small letdown and I think it helped my supply by the additional stimulation at the breast. Maybe you could give that a try?

best of luck to you...
Old 12-18-2003, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your ds is having enough wet dipes (5 minimum), isn't showing signs of dehydration (very dry skin, sunken eyes, very sunken soft spot, lethargic) and is gaining you have no problem!

Also, babies will very often take more formula after they breastfeed, even if they have had enough. Giving him formula if he doesn't need it can compromise your milk supply.

My ds STILL nurses for hours sometimes. They get your milk supply up that way

And you say he's eatting at "most feedings". Are you scheduling him? Or just trying to make sure too many hours don't pass before he eats again?

Making sure he doesn't go too long is good, but scheduling isn't. He'll letcha know when he wants to eat But it doesn't sound like your spacing out feedings if he doesn't always want to eat when you put him to the breast, so I'm not quite sure if you are trying to schedule him or not there...

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
Old 12-18-2003, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

No, I am not spacing him out--I am just waking him up to feed every couple of hours (he is so young, he likes sleep more than anything else! lol)--but he is swallowing, sucking and is being fed well.
He was weighed today, and he is almost at his birthweight already, even though he is only a week old today.
He poops at every feeding (mustard seed stools) and pees at every feeding. No green poop, no empty diapers.
I am just surprised that I don't have the letdown feeling, no feelings of fullness, no engorgement, no spraying, etc.
And frankly, if you all say that this is normal, I'll take this any day over the way I felt when I was nursing dd. I had painful letdown, engorgement, OAL, etc. And it was kind of a drag.
This is much more comfortable and I prefer it.
I wonder if it is a second pregnancy thing?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:29 AM

or maybe b/c he wasn't latching at first your milk just came in slowly?? That's what happened with my dd - she latched just fine, BUT I was taking sudafed b/c of a horrible cold and consequently NEVER got engorged or had some magic "milk is in" moment. And dd has been a great gainer from the start. As long as he is nursing 10-12 x a day, sounds great to me
Old 12-19-2003, 08:24 AM

I was never engorged, and this is my first baby. I could not tell a thing when the milk gradually changed from colostrum to full milk! I was surprised myself.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but my daughter had very strong suck when she was born, and suckled a lot ever since birth, and slept with me. It was a natural birth. I had somewhat sore nipples in the beginning and positioning was not perfect, but latch was strong!

Maria

User Tag List