6 months old and her level is 14, they said over 118 is ideal

WWYD?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is she otherwise healthy? Happy? Why was she being tested?

I would try supplimenting myself before giving her anything extra. hopefully that works.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:02 PM

At that point, I'd begin to use liquid vitamins.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbie64g View Post
Is she otherwise healthy? Happy? Why was she being tested?

I would try supplimenting myself before giving her anything extra. hopefully that works.
14 is pretty low for me to just supplement her don't ya think?

She has a soft skull and signs of low calcium which I know now can lead to heart problems. Until now they have ignored my concerns
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't like the idea of supplementing but in your place, I would. :

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Ummm... go on a trip to Cancun Mexico and sit on the beach every day for 1/2 hour?

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 02-18-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

She spent 3 months sleeping 23 hours a day, the ped's ignored me. It took weeks after her birth to open her eyes even for a min.

I honestly was never told about giving her Vit D, but now I google it and it's EVEYRWHERE

I think this is something more people need to know about.

FWIW she has never had vax's or med's or solids just breastmilk, but clearly it just wasn't enough
Old 02-18-2009, 04:20 PM

I'd recommend seeing a naturopath ASAP. Mine just gave us some vitamin D drops which are fabulous. I take two a day and DS gets one drop once or twice a week in addition to his cod liver oil/butter oil combo.

Do you live somewhere with sun? She needs to be out in the sun for 10-30 minutes during the brightest part of the day (12 pm - 1 pm generally).

Definitely keep breastfeeding regardless. Don't let them talk you into fortified formula as synthetic vitamin D isn't going to bring her levels up properly.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 02-18-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishmama View Post
14 is pretty low for me to just supplement her don't ya think?

She has a soft skull and signs of low calcium which I know now can lead to heart problems. Until now they have ignored my concerns
Oh hon
Suppliment yourself, you are probably dangerously low yourself. I heard these were good, and I'm about to order some: http://www.valleynaturals.com/ct_det...d-c36567cd0f56

...and everything dogmom said.

FWIW, breastfeeding is not the cause. Vit D deficiency is linked more to less time outside, pollution blocking the sun, and depletion of many vitamins in the soil (used to grow our food). It's my understanding that viit D deficiency is becoming a more global problem.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 02-18-2009, 04:29 PM

super big {{{{{HUGSSSSSZ}}}}}. That is just awful mama, and I am so sorry you have had to go through all of this before anyone would listen to you. Might i suggest definetly seeing an expert in this area immediatly. Its pretty clear your poor baby has a deficiency that needs looking into YESTERDAY, and your peds arent going to give you or her the support you need. Not sure what part of Britain you live in, but I am assuming there isnt much sun this time of year (I live in upstate NY, so we dont get much sun this time a year either) Definetly continue with the BM though. its the best thing for her.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:30 PM

i know if i was in your shoes, i would be feeling a little panicky too. since it sounds like you are all natural with your approach to baby and health, i would try to research that route. find what you can about how to handle a perceived deficiency of vitamin d naturally, based on others experiences.

here is some info on kellymom

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html

sunlight for sure
and maybe the liquid drops
not sure if people are talking about supplementing with formula, but if so, i say, no way. take vitamin d drops yourself and for her too if that is what your research leads you to feel is right for your baby.

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
Old 02-18-2009, 04:35 PM

I'd definitely see another health professional--whether a pediatrician, naturopath or whomever is your preference. It doesn't sound like your current care providers are responsive.

Personally, I would supplement and try to get baby in sunlight ASAP. I have a good friend whose baby daughter developed rickets due to low vitamin D. In her case, as a pp said, probably due to lack of sunlight exposure, and she was had very dark skin.

I hate to scare you, but it is really any issue that think you are right to be concerned about.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
There are alternatives to that sticky Vit D syrup. I would supplement her as well as myself if she is that low, so are you. The Vit D wouldnt enter you breast milk until your deficiency was taken care of.

Baby D drops are colorless, tasteless vit D that you can put 1 drop on your nipple. Its vitamin D dissolved in a vegatable oil.

This is a great product they even have adult stregnth drops too.
http://well.ca/products/baby-ddrops-liquid_7336.html
Quote:
enefits:

* The daily dose is merely one drop, it is in a pure oil with none of the flavouring that often upsets babies.
* Baby Ddrops is a product that supports breastfeeding, one drop on the nipple provides your baby with the vitamin D recommended by pediatricians.
* Ddrops delivers 365 doses for just a little more than the price of 50 doses of the usual infant vitamins.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

the peds here are hospital based we're going to a different hospital than before tomorrow

my level is 50 still not great

I have heard she may need IV or shots since 400iu isn't enough now

We dont get a load of sun, very pale skin and for months all she did was sleep, didnt think of laying her in the sun, kwim?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 PM

I'm all for supplementing yourself and not the baby, but in your care I would look into some Vit. D supplementation for the baby. She sounds like she is sick and needs it, as opposed to just a healthy infant being given something "just in case". I have become a Vit. D convert recently, I know people here are resistant to it because they feel it somehow threatens the perfectness of breastmilk. My feeling is, if I am deficient to begin with, then I need to supplement myself. A lot of mamas are not deficient and don't need to worry about it. No big deal, my milk's still a million times better than formula, just something I need to do. It doesn't make me feel less perfect to take a folic acid supplement when TTC--I understand lots of people don't feel the need to, I eat spinach and greens every day and I choose to, it doesn't make me feel like my body's inadequate, kwim?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydiah View Post
There are alternatives to that sticky Vit D syrup. I would supplement her as well as myself if she is that low, so are you. The Vit D wouldnt enter you breast milk until your deficiency was taken care of.

Baby D drops are colorless, tasteless vit D that you can put 1 drop on your nipple. Its vitamin D dissolved in a vegatable oil.

This is a great product they even have adult stregnth drops too.
http://well.ca/products/baby-ddrops-liquid_7336.html
wonder how quickly I could get that, here its a whole syringe and made in peanut oil (dh is allergic)
Old 02-18-2009, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My first thought was "have her level retested to make sure the baby truly has low vitamin D and it wasn't a lab error." But then you listed various symptoms, so it seems likely that she truly does have a problem. I'm not sure there would be any benefit to redoing the test, so why put her through that?

6mo babies don't just spontaneously have problems with vitamin D; "normal healthy" babies get plenty of vitamin D prenatally, plus they get small amounts via breastmilk. They don't get all they NEED from milk alone, but a good prenatal store of D lasts them until they're ready for solids. There's some reason her vitamin D stores didn't last her- the most likely is that she didn't put enough stores down prenatally because you're deficient (it's also possible that you have plenty of D and there's some kind of metabolic problem with the baby, but that's far less likely.) So, take lots of vitamin D yourself, for yourself, even though that's unlikely to be enough to solve the baby's problem.

It's also a good idea for both of you to spend some time in the sunlight, as that's how our bodies are designed to get vitamin D (and the reason the levels of D in breastmilk are so low to begin with.)

The baby also needs to be supplemented directly with vitamin D. I wouldn't use the kind made by formula companies and marketed to babies; those have synthetic additives (flavors, sweeteners, and possibly colors too) that can cause their own problems. I'd go with an oil-based supplement: either cod liver oil, those liquid D drops somebody mentioned above, or even vitamin D capsules intended for adults that you prick open and squeeze the oil into her mouth or onto your nipple before nursing (or mix into solids or put into a bottle, if she consumes anything other than milk directly from your breast right now).

I would have her levels retested regularly; besides making sure she gets ENOUGH vitamin D, it's important to make sure she doesn't get an overdose when you're supplementing. If that happened, you'd simply stop the supplement for a while and test her levels again.

ETA: if vitamin D shots are a way to get her levels up quickly, that's something to seriously consider. It's not something I've heard of before, so I didn't mention it until I read your post about your doctors recomending it. But I hope that would be a short-term solution; something to quickly get her up to baseline, then you'd use oral supplements and sunshine to maintain the level.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 02-18-2009, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

the GP said she needs calcium + vit d most likely shot or IV, so need to see what they say tomorrow

We don't get much sun, it's cloudy and cold.

I had hyperemesis while preg, loads of bone pain which was ignored.

I take a vit but it's just not enough to seems

Also she won't take anything but breastmilk

recently she has showed an interest in food (she has a pincer grip but not sitting up)
Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
There is really not enough vit D in a multi or a prenatal for a nursing mom. I take 2000 IU/day and still supplement my DD once a week just incase she isnt getting enough from me.

Me(33), Mama to a crazy DD (6), Wife to a wonderful mountain man(32) BF my babe for 2 years
Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM

Lydiah, I love your siggy, it makes me smirk.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:46 PM

Did you get tested at a Quest lab? I read a recent article that they have been having a problem with inaccurate D results. I'd get re-tested.

I've gotten sunburns (the worst ones) on cloudy, overcast days...sun comes through. So get out no matter how cloudy you feel it is, just in case.

And the D stuff is all over right now b/c they just "discovered" some big new extra need for D. I'm not a big supplement person...it's the one thing that NDs and other natural health care people and I clash on...never have been even though I'm a natural health care person (retired chiro) myself, so I don't know that I buy all of it, BUT if she's having symptoms of deficiency then you might as well find something.

I was also just reading that some sort of special sun-treated mushroom can give you 100% of the new D rda...I have no idea what sort of treatment that actually is, but it was interesting reading.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Please get here these yesterday! It's just one drop (not dropperful) a day.

Carlson Vitamin D Drops -- 2000 IU - 11 mL
by Carlson Laboratories

hh2.gif

Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM

You also should look into getting a vitamin d lamp.

hh2.gif

Old 02-18-2009, 09:07 PM

I'm a little surprised at the level of panic in these posts. I just had DD tested a few weeks ago, and she came back at 11 (granted, she's a little older, so maybe that's the concern?). My ped said that it was fine for me to supplement myself since she's still BFing, and not supplement DD directly. (And there are no liquid D's that DD can have because of her allergies.) I take 5,000IU/day. We also go for a walk every day.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I'm a little surprised at the level of panic in these posts. I just had DD tested a few weeks ago, and she came back at 11 (granted, she's a little older, so maybe that's the concern?). My ped said that it was fine for me to supplement myself since she's still BFing, and not supplement DD directly. (And there are no liquid D's that DD can have because of her allergies.) I take 5,000IU/day. We also go for a walk every day.
Vitamin d deficiency is often UNDER reacted too, and there is no panic. It's time to act. what allergies does your dd have? I've recently come across some that are very good for allergy babes.

hh2.gif

Old 02-18-2009, 09:29 PM

And it is important to continue to test levels during supplementation.

hh2.gif

Old 02-18-2009, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Vitamin d deficiency is often UNDER reacted too, and there is no panic. It's time to act. what allergies does your dd have? I've recently come across some that are very good for allergy babes.
It would be easier to list the things that she's NOT allergic to. But as far as the liquid D's are concerned, I have found them in a base of coconut/palm oil, sesame oil, or olive oil. She cannot tolerate any of those. Oh- she does get CLO directly, but only a small amount daily. Probably equivalent of about 100IU of D.

Are you saying that I'm under-reacting because I'm only supplementing myself, and not DD directly?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
It would be easier to list the things that she's NOT allergic to. But as far as the liquid D's are concerned, I have found them in a base of coconut/palm oil, sesame oil, or olive oil. She cannot tolerate any of those. Oh- but she does get CLO directly, but only a small amount daily. Probably equivalent of about 100IU of D.

Are you saying that I'm under-reacting because I'm only supplementing myself, and not DD directly?
No, YOU aren't under-reacting... people do.

hh2.gif

Old 02-18-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
No, YOU aren't under-reacting... people do.
Gotcha.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:22 PM

With symptoms and a low level I'd supplement baby as well as myself. I'd also be pushing the docs to look into reasons for the low vit D level - are there any inherited conditions that make it more difficult for some people to make vit D?

And a super mama cheer for you for getting baby tested! Way to trust those instincts

User Tag List