Any risks/side effects of gentian violet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-18-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I suspected that I might have thrush so I borrowed some gentian violet from a friend and used it last night.

I'm annoyed with myself for giving my DD something that I hadn't really thoroughly researched.

What exactly is gentian violet? Are there any risks/side effects? My DD is almost 3 months old.

On the bottle it says for external use only, and I've seen a few things on the internet that suggest it might not be safe.

I didn't check into it thoroughly because it was recommended on these boards and at LLL, which both tend to be "crunchy" and leaning towards natural methods of treating illness.

Also I knew it would stain DD's mouth, but i didnt expect it to be quite so dark! How long does it take for the purple to fade?

Loving wife to DH and buddamomimg1.pngmama to DD (11/08) and DS (2/12)

#2 of 3 Old 02-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My stepmom, a NICU nurse, called it "triple dye". So I take it that it's used in medical fields as a dye of some sort.

I have seen some studies that do show problems with massive, continued use (probably only found in lab rats, that sort of massive and continued, forced, use), but the few times you're going to use it during thrush aren't going to cause problems.

When DS had thrush and I had yeast, I painted my nipples and let him get the "transfer", rather than putting it directly in/on his mouth. Took some days to come off, but then, I was painting myself every day.

I can tell you what NOT to do to get it off....discovered this when I painted my armpits (I had yeast everywhere) and then it wasn't coming off and I had to be a bridesmaid in a sleeveless dress...do not scrub and scrub and scrub and then put rubbing alcohol on it! Just don't do that! Sure it sort of worked, but it hurt like anything and then I was RED and purple...
#3 of 3 Old 02-18-2009, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a dye that is commonly used to treat thrush in breastfeeding mothers. If only used once a day for a week then I haven't heard any isuues at all. If it is used much more often it can cause ulcers in baby's mouth.

I like the idea of painting mama's nipples/areolas with with and then letting baby breastfeed.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page